Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Trading: Ultra Cheap Plant Shipping Method (Under $2)

Communities > Forums > Plant Trading
bookmark
Forum: Plant TradingReplies: 87, Views: 5,411
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
willmetge
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
8:13 AM

Post #5156341

Image 1
This is a method that I have been using with good success for small plants/small trades. It typically costs me between $1.50 - $2.00 in postage. The key is to get the weight below 13 oz. A package can then be shipped with first class postage which is far less expensive than priority mail and typically is just as fast (especially when the trade is only a few states away). I would be careful with this method for cross-country trades which can take a day longer than Priority mail. The plant leaves sometimes have to be carefully flattened and folded...so don't use this method if you want a show-quality speciment right out the box. But the plants don't seem to mind much and quickly readjust their leaves after they've been replanted.

I've set this up in four steps. I hope they are easy to follow:
First I cut a 4" to 6" wide x 16" long (or longer) strip of rigid cardboard out of box. I fold a two inch tab at the top. An then proceed to create folds as shown in this image. Two of the folds must be 3/4" or less apart. The post office charges more if the package is thicker than 3/4".

This message was edited Jun 25, 2008 1:36 AM

Thumbnail by willmetge
Click the image for an enlarged view.

willmetge
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
8:18 AM

Post #5156346

Image 2
Next I prep the plant in the typical fashion by rinsing all the dirt from the root and wrapping them in a moist paper towel and then plastic wrap. I should note that the root ball/crown/stem needs to be less than 3/4" in one direction or it will not fit in the envelope box, however I've found very few perennials that are this bulky. If it seems that the plant may move around in the box tape the root ball to one side of the cardboard. If the leaves are large and flexible, they can be carefully bent over to fit. Several plants can be fit into the box with root balls being placed in alternate directions. You may need to cut the cardboard larger depending on how many plants you are planning to send with this method. I've sent as many as five plants and still kept my weight under 13 oz.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2008 1:30 AM

Thumbnail by willmetge

willmetge
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
8:20 AM

Post #5156347

Image 3
Finish folding the box with the tab on the underside as shown in the diagram (this holds the cardboard away from the plant and protects it from being crushed). Use a piece of strong tape to close the box.

Thumbnail by willmetge

willmetge
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
8:26 AM

Post #5156352

Image 4
Finally use wide tape (1-1/2" or wider) to close/seal off edges. Label box and send...I prefer to use the post office's automated postal machine at crazy hours of the night when I finally get my plants dug up, however midnight hours are not required for this method to work. I just sent two packages today...one for $1.50 and the other for $1.80. They each had a couple of plants in them. I should note that I haven't had any plants shipped to me this way. I've only shipped to others. Luckily, I haven't received any hate-mail (DG'ers are so polite). Most people have said that the plants have arrived in good condition.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2008 1:40 AM

Thumbnail by willmetge

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2008
9:55 AM

Post #5156419

This works too if you use the 'boxes' some of Amazon's books are shipped in. They fold in a similar way.
Great suggestion. We can all use help with the rising cost of shipping.
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 25, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5157407

I got a plant shipped this way some time ago, maybe from you Will.
It worked very well. I was lazy making the boxes, but with Priority shipping
so costly now I am rethinking :) It's a great method for small trades.
rox_male
Athens, OH

June 25, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5157943

Great illustrations!
ROX
BrightStar
Chesapeake, VA

June 25, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5158103

Thank you for sharing this with us, willmetge!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5158573

Excellent Idea!!! I know I sent cuttings in a folded over piece of poster board then inserted into a bigger bubble envelope and they arrived just fine. Your idea, though, avoids the charge of the bubble envelopes.

Honestly the PO seems confused still, about their own rates. I have to correct them each time when I'm mail a small bubble envelope explaining that it's only an additional .20 on a regular 1st class stamp. Numerous times one of them will attempt to charge me a $1 something for these when it is not needed.

And remember to recycle those bubble envelopes - I've had one used 3x and was perfectly fine.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5159384

i've received books this way but not plants yet, usually my trades are very large trades LOL

i've seen them tape the two pieces of cardboard together on one end and make it like a book too.

neat idea.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5163566

Nifty idea, Will! Thanks for sharing.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5168435

Yes, the trick is to use First Class instead of Priority. I've used pasta boxes and it works fine. I've also received plants in gift boxes box before, but sometime they tends to get squish, although plants were fine.

The other thing I do is if I use a cardboard box, I would cut off some of the flaps on the side of the box, this will reduce the weight on the thicker boxes.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5184819

Nice trick...love it. The post office is getting too much for too little service.

"eyes"
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5189867

and bubble envelopes work very well as well.
willmetge
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2008
4:43 AM

Post #5191472

Bubble envelopes seem to allow more damage to the plant (i.e. Aunt Therba's 15 lb. fruit cakes at the top of the mail bin). The rigid cardboard adds some measure of protection from being crushed and some air space so the plant can breathe.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 9:44 PM
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5195009

It would depend on the plant. I wouldn't send my rooted plumeria in a bubble envie, but I would send plants from softwood cuttings.
ambuzz
Seneca, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5219020

willmetge - thanks for the easy to follow instructions and illustrations!!! I love it!

Re: bubble envelopes... I would never send anything this way unless it is a plant that is really hard to kill and can withstand a lot of abuse - being bent and/or broken, etc. I have received 3 "bubble envelopes" now and they have all arrived with nearly dead plants/cuttings, or in pieces! Beware the bubble envelope! willmetge's method is a great way to mail safely while keeping costs very low! :)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5227380

I think you should request this thread to be a 'Sticky'!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5230311

i cushion plants with layers of newspaper. i have sent clematis and many other perennials this way. we are talking about getting plants sent cheaply and not arriving in pristine condition. i would send a rooted plumeria if it would fit the envelope. it's the roots that need protecting. lol.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5252934

Picturing how we have all seen examples of a hollowed out book to hide valuables, a gun, whatever...well, why not trace the pattern of the roots that need protecting and then cut that size "hollow" out of a thick layer of newspaper (just enough to pad that end of the small pkg). It seems like the newspaper form with the plant in it could then be taped (over the newspaper) to a piece of paper or thin cardboard and slipped easily into the envelope / pkg .
this plant shipping thread should deffinately be made into a "sticky"...how is that done?
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5253063

I sent a cutting last week in a small bubble envelope with extra protection around the roots and it shipped fine.
RatherBDigging
Akron, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5255360

Would cutting a small rectangle out of styofoam for each end of the box help keep the box's shape to protect the plant without adding more to the package's weight?

I love your idea. I agree it should be idea to be added to the "sticky", although I have no idea how this is accomplished...
RatherB
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5285866

Ahh yes, a thin peice of styrofoam would be gr8! even help insulate the seedling from the heat, i would think. bluestone Perenials packs w/ styrofoam peanuts & they're a very good co. ...styrofoam = much lighter than news paper also !!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5285917

The originator of the thread needs to request the sticky from admin. Just do a 'Contact Us' post at the bottom, linking this thread.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5426368

Great suggestions!

I think that keeping the thickness under 3/4 inch can make it qualify as a "large envelope" rather than as a "small package"... however, when you use a rigid material such as cardboard, I think it then becomes a "package" regardless of its dimensions (there is a maximum for the combined length+width+height of first class mail, though).

Still, if you keep the rate under 13 oz, it can travel by first class postage (cheaper) rather than priority mail rates.

I'm on the east coast, and if I'm not sending a package further west than the Mississippi River, it generally gets there equally fast by first class or priority mail.

Here's a link to the post office rate charts for first class mail. Note the different rates for envelopes and packages. :-)

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5426759

Thanks for that great link. It clarify the sizes of the packages.

9 out of 10 times, my first class will arrive in 3 days (same as priority mail). I also use Shipping Assistance, a free software, downloaded from USPS site, so it's easy to track your packages. Everything can be printed onto plain white 8.5 X 11 paper. Cut in half and one-half is the shipping label and the other half is for your record keeping. So all you have to do is make sure your box is wide enough to handle the half of the paper. If you use the online (I think it's called click-n-ship, you can specify for your carrier to pick up at your house - you can even specify the location of your house).

This message was edited Aug 17, 2008 12:10 PM
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5474591

This indeed is a very helpful thread. Thanks for starting it. It is getting so costly to send anything.
jamlover
Delhi, IA

September 13, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5546329

I used a bakery box to try this. I added a small piece cut from the box to put inside in the middle to give a little stability as shown. However when the plant is inside it will probably do it.

Thumbnail by jamlover

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5547330

Bakery box...Great Idea!
Thanks, jamlover!
so...under 13 oz, less than 3/4" thick, and within regulation size for "envelopes...should get us 1st class postage rates, right?
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5548416

I didn't know they could only be 3/4 inch thick. I send stuff all the time that are thicker than 3/4 inches, but both width and length are shorter than 12 inches and under 13 oz. Actually, I think after 10 oz, the prices are pretty close to priority.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #5553592

"under 13 oz, less than 3/4" thick, and within regulation size for envelopes"

is a "large envelope" unless you make it too rigid.

Under 13 oz, any size, is a small package and can be sent by first class.

See my post and link to the USPS rate charts and definitions, a couple of posts up. :-)
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6000904

Pricing for shipping goes up January 18th 2009 and again in march 2009 ... just a heads up ...
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6001268

I believe the packagas pricing change in Jan and the first class mail change is in March. You can read more about it here:
http://www.usps.com/prices/pricechanges.htm?from=global_ftpromo&page=newshippingprices
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6001449

thank you LilMerci ... :D
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #6594046

Im afraid to rinse all of the dirt off of my rooted cuttings. I just dont want to take a chance that the plant doesnt make it to its destination alive. is it that much more expensive to ship them in their 3 inch peat pots? Not to mention, some dont have an extensive root system on them yet and the roots are fragile, being a newbie, it makes me nervous to tamper with them just yet.

This message was edited May 25, 2009 6:57 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6594247

They'll weigh more, of course, but you can wrap the pot up to the stem in plastic wrap (I love press 'n seal) or in a baggie, then wrap the whole thing in newspaper. You do have to be more careful packing, because if the heavy rootballs in pots roll around at all, plants will get damaged.

See the other sticky on this forum, and also take a look at an article I wrote on packing plants: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1202/
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6746234

I have shipped roots or a couple of rhizomes in the manila envelopes, plus a little bubble wrap. You an use paper towel or tissure paper rolls around plants too for support. Always write on the outside DO NOT CRUSH.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6746281

I did get some plants that way and they were fine. A little sad looking but made the trip OK. I don't like shipping plants in the summertime if I can help it but sometime a few holes in the box will help the plant travel better.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6746286

Shipping during this heat is not advisable for any plant if it can be avoided.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6788951

Hi all!

I received a package from mamajack using this shipping method. It was mailed on 6/29 and arrived 7/01. It cost a grand total of $2.07 to send and my plants arrived in excellent condition with no signs of stress or damage. The package contained 3 large Iris and 2 (approx 4") rooted dicliptera suberecta.

I think this is a very cost effective way to send small trades and I will definitely be trying it out. I for one do not mind receiving plants this way.

Just my two cents . . .

Kelly

P.S. I did take pics of the package and the unwrap process. If anyone is interested I can post them...
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6789864

Oh yes, please do post them here for more examples for us!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6790300

Sure Birdie. I'll try to post them tonight. We'll see how it goes when I get home from work - lol.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

July 15, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6823218

glad to see this was made into a "sticky"!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 2:31 PM
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6837290

loca, please post a pic. i have several trades to get out int he mail this week and dont wanna go broke doing it...LOL, so a visual would be helpful when i go to package these babies up!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6837844

I got busy and TOTALLY forgot - lol.

I'll try to git 'er done today!

Edited to say: Sorry, Kelz - we FINALLY got a big 'ol rainstorm yesterday. Power on and off, so I'll try to post those pics for you when I get home from work tonight.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2009 1:22 PM
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6842911

cue chik what are you sending?
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6843041

butterfly bush starts, night blooming jasmine starts, and misc starts... all to different people across the US

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6843047

mamajacks method would work wonderfully for you, cue.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6844938

OK - here are the pics. Hope they give you a better idea what this thread is talking about. Remember this particular package cost $2.07 to mail, first class, and contained 3 Iris and 2 rooted cuttings...

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6844940

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6844942

oops - this should have been #2 . . .

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6844944

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6844945

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6844947

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6844948

last one . . .

Thumbnail by locakelly

mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6848117

well just looky at them little diclipteras. fresh as rain. yep. i did good. lol

cue i wrap the roots of newly rooted plants in a little damp potting soil. wrap that with plastic. then i wrap newspaper around the tops to help cushion. and in your case with just rooted cuttings i would then wrap newspaper around the entire plants. and ball up some newspaper in strategic locations in the package if you need to for cushioning. remember do not make the plants very wet but the newspaper will take up some of that. i put that plastic tape just about over the entire outside of the brown wrapper to keep THEM from tearing it but also in case it does get a little wet it will hold it together as well.

NOW THAT WE KNOW WE CAN DO IT CHEAPLY let's get them trades on. seems to me that trading is way down this year. do yall think so too?
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6848244

Maybe we can each send this link to some of our friends who trade and get this method out.
If it's postage that has people shy about trading this year, lets bypass that problem. (nip it in the bud..so to say!!)
Spread the word!! :-)

Sheri

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6848267

I agree, Sheri. I have not traded much as of yet - worried how to safely and cheaply ship and all. After receiving the package from mamajack and seeing how easy it was, no worries now. The plants looked so good you'd have sworn she walked over and handed them to me instead of shipping them from TX to AZ in July!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6848290

sheri that's right. it is expensive to ship so i try to trade large or just the amt. i can ship first class. as long as the packages are UNDER 13 oz. they go first class and that has the same delivery schedule as priority. some people just won't believe that though. the worst thing that happened to someone i traded with this year was that they sent me ONE iris in that middle FLAT RATE BOX!!!! cost her over 10.00 to ship one iris. she was new and she just wanted to do it right. lol

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6848369

Now she knows a better way, eh?

The packaging was (and correct me if I'm wrong) paper bag material folded to make a nice sturdy shipping contraption. It left TX Monday and arrived in Phoenix Wednesday am for $2.07.

Can't beat that!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6848428

you could use paper sacks if you can get them. but i had bought a roll of brown wrap to use on my floor while i painted a room.
and you know if i had sent that thing to somewhere in texas it prob. would have taken longer. and maybe an extra day to calif. or new york. several people have done mail experiments and what they found if i remember correctly is that there is no rhyme or reason to postal delivery schedules. lol.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6848678

Just a quick question. I'm assuming since it's a package, it won't go through "the crusher" that scan the address?

I always sends first class if it's 10oz and under. If over 10, it's pretty close to priority price, so I ship priority anyway. I always specify that I will send first class and if they don't like, we don't trade. I've had people said no that they only want priority so we don't trade. Easy as that. Need to keep more money in my pocket in this time and day.

Oh, and I used muffin or cereal boxes because the paper box is lighter. Even use spaghetti or macaroni boxes.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 9:09 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6848850

MIne did not appear to have gone through the machine cancel. Looks like it was hand cancelled.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #6849765

the only thing that goes thru the crusher is flat envelopes or bubble ones i think. and i have used those light boxes as well. i did this strictly as an experiment. sent one to dmac as well. hers arrived fine too for around 2.00.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6855022

I think priority is supposed to be faster than first class if you're shipping across the country, but of course the postal service doesn't guarantee the delivery times anyway. So there's no point in my sending a 12 oz package by priority to anybody who lives east of the Mississippi.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6925351

i tried this method this past week. mailed 4 out of 5 packages this way and all cost $2 or less..(with the exception of one I sent to Cali... I used a regular box and paid $4.95 to ship it)

hopefully everything will arrive ok
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6925997

Be curious to hear how they made it in the mail.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6934522

I ended up paying $40 cdn to NC for a "well-packed box" my DH sent...
well, at least it arrived safely lol
I'll send Next Time LOL
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6934552

40.00!!!! for one box? did you consider using several flat rate boxes instead of one large box? you might could have gotten them all in 2 of the 10.00 boxes or 2 of the 15.00 boxes. still cheaper than 40.00. tallulah you have to ask yourself...did you trade for at least 40.00 worth of plants? if not then you need to figure out how to make it worth it next time.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6934581

I sent a Stuffed Envie AND a Fairy Swap to the same person, cuz I got the same buddy for Both Threads lol
My DH wanted to be sure it went quickest and safest, so he sent it the Most Expensive, plus it was insured, and cross-border, so I expect it was more for all that...
The fairy was a large part of the size, I'm sure...he bubble-wrapped it.

~Susan~
postal_blonde
Kasson, MN

August 27, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6993155

No matter what you use...paper, bubble, cardboard...the stiffer the package the better protected it is. delivery confirmation will help tell you when you package arrived...what day and what time. priority is faster depending on where. 2 day priority is to take 2 days or shorter. First class can take longer. If it ends up on a plane for cross country priority will be loaded on before first class will. Yes we will come right to your door to pick up the package...I am a rural carrier not sure how city ones do it. If it says LIVE PLANTS on the package would help as we do not have xray vision to know they should not be left in a hot or freezing cold mail box.
Ask what both prices are first and priority as sometimes there may be only a few cents apart in the 2 prices. I mail both ways depending on where to and how long it may be in the box. Common sense is the rule. Express only if it has to be overnight. And to a larger city.
I pick up packages and affix the postage for the customers...unless your sure of the weight. I havae even called some of mine to make sure they are home
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6993752

del. confirmation is a worthless product to me. the only thing it can do is tell you if the person you sent it to did in fact receive it. if the post office loses your box while enroute they can't find it with that number. so the way i look at it del. confirmation is only good if you are trading with someone who you don't trust. just my take.

all those things may be true about how they load packages but in actuality i have really good luck getting first class packages to their destination in 2-3 days. at the same time i have had priority take over 2 weeks. lost a box with del. confirmation. the box sat in the wrong post office for weeks. the post office couldn't find the box. finally it was put back in circulation. plants arrived after 3 weeks. most plants were...yep, dead. lol

so the way i look at it is this...at any given time on any given package it is subject to being lost...whether it's first class or priority with all the bells...so why wouldn't i buy the cheapest?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6994255

That's a really good point, mama - It's really moot How it's sent... but the fact we send things to each other is a friendly gesture that sometimes gets stymied by our wonderful postal system (in both countries, it's the same story).
Ah well, we just have to "take it on the chin" sometimes :-)

~Susan~
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6995283

i really think the postal service does a good job. think about the gazillion pieces of mail they handle every day. yall we get most of that crap and you know it. we need to let up on the quality of the postal service IN MOST CASES i think. i'm just sayin'. haha

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6995331

well, y'd think that with all the email, and the lessening of snail-mail, that they'd have cheaper mail just to draw us back to using their services again...
btw - I used to work for the Post Office in Canada, and a friend of mine still does.
I'm not picking on them... it's just natural, with all that gazillion pieces of mail, that mistakes will happen - we'll all human, after all LOL
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6995707

i was thinking the other day what with the post office hurting for business if we as gardeners could form a very loose union and ask for special pricing they would probably bite.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6995768

hmmmmmmm wouldn't that be wonderful for cross-border mailing? I mailed a box for a swap, and it cost me $40 Cdn - about the same amount as the contents! My DH did the shipping from work, and he sent it the most expensive to get there the fastest LOL He's in Shipping/Receiving so he knows the cheapest, but he wanted my swap buddy to have it the fastest...
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6996390

well that just goes to show you that the post office believes in themselves even if some of us don;'t. hahaha
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6996484

My very 1st packabe waas send with DC which was posted as delivered...well. not to me, and not because i'm dishonest either...A sub carried that day and "didn't remember were he left it, " but it got delivered." Not to me! So please don't be to harsh on those who say they did not receive the package even if the UsPS says it Was delivered
postal_blonde
Kasson, MN

August 28, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6996580

LOL never said del con was the best...And alot of times the cheapest is the fastest. I work with 2 that are getting things wrong and I don't blame anyone for being upset with the carrier that did it, but don't lump the entire postal service as one person. There are alot of us that do go the extra mile to make sure that package is there on time and in good condition. I serve 541 customers on a daily basis. I deliver over 2000 peices of mail a day. And more than 50 packages a day. And we still are the cheapest worldwide. I myself have lost items in the mailstream and have had late delivery on express mail...Express mail is a guarentee...if not on time by 3 pm it is free and you get your money back...Like I said write ' LIVE PLANTS' on it. As in any job you will always have your idiots that do the minimal...I have seen UPS and FEDEX both leave wrong packages at the wrong houses...1 was a $8000 check stuck between 2 doors at the wrong house (fedex) and one was a computer left at the wrong house (ups).
Just for fun ask ups or fedex what it would cost for them to deliver that same package...
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 28, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6996614

Hey, Postal_blonde can only speak for herself. And I know a lot of very good, responsible USPS delivery personnel. However, as with any occupation, there are morons around us! It is, unfortunately, part of living in this world as a human being. People mess up & we pay for it.

I used to work customer service for a major mail-order company, and we used all 3 of the major delivery companies. There were idiots working at all of them, but the VAST majority of the packages got there in time. I think Postal is just giving recommendations for how to *BEST* ensure safe delivery. Unfortunately, there's no way to absolutely guarantee anything.

Life is fun, isn't it? :)
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6996664

what postal blonde said i have heard almost every day of my life with my sister ...VERBATIM ...who is a postmaster in campbell tx. lol.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 28, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6996689

Well, at least their public relations training is consistent! And that coming from a government-run institution! lol
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6996734

my older sister has a real good opinion of herself. snicker.

i am wondering if we need to leave this thread because if i get started telling postal jokes i would go on for awhile. they like my nonsense (at least they take my money every year) on daves but they ask me kindly not to chatter on a "how to" thread like this one. so i ain't stayin here. bye now. ha
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6997518

it takes all kind of people to make the world go around.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7198736

Has anyone here sent plants overseas? Need to know how to do it.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7198983

where to? and what?
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7656639

well funnyfarm...you go boy. personally i agree with everything you said about at&t. the bums. but i don't know if you got that on the right page or not.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plant Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
have colts foot and a goldenseal bloomingidiot 5 May 29, 2009 7:56 PM
Crocosmia Zanymuse 17 Oct 25, 2007 1:37 AM
CLOSED: Yucca? Melissa_Ohio 8 Apr 6, 2008 3:43 PM
hardy glad bulbs and small yucca plants catbirdsue 8 Apr 5, 2008 11:40 PM
Wanted : Tri color Strawberry Begonia,Blue Sky Flower MsCritterkeeper 18 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America