Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Adding Some Year-Round Interest in the Garden with Red Twig Dogwood: Easy plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Adding Some Year-Round Interest in the Garden with Red Twig Dogwood
bookmark
Forum: Article: Adding Some Year-Round Interest in the Garden with Red Twig DogwoodReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5156715

I have always had red twig dogwoods growing in my yard. They are an easy plant to get along with, beautiful, and very hardy in our area. Thanks for the article, I learned a few more things about them!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5156881

I learned some things too! Like that I need one. Or two. ;-) Thank you for a great article, darius. Have you seen red-twigged and yellow-twigged varieties growing together? Wondering how it would look.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5156884

Wait until you see some of the gorgeous cultivars Todd shows in his article later on!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5156890

McGlory, no I haven't, and I cannot remember what all Todd will show in his article later on...

I almost killed my new one (shown in the story) with the addition of mulch that had some juglone from a black walnut in it...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5157145

Oh, Darius, what a wonderful article!

I remember, during those years when I was the single mother of two small girls, very solemnly planting a dead dried up stick of a "red twig dogwood" from one of those companies that gets a very bad rating in the Garden Watchdog. Of course, it stayed dead.

Now, I see again that I really do need one! So, I thank you for the information and the inspiration!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8358195

I've had success with rooting the RTD. I take cuttings about 8 inches long from fresh growth, dip in rooting hormone and poke into damp sand. Keep them in bright light, but not full sun. They rooted quickly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Adding Some Year-Round Interest in the Garden with Red Twig Dogwood Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nothing prettier in the winter landscape Dea 3 Feb 7, 2011 6:42 AM
"Red Twig" Dogwood NordicFletch 2 Feb 13, 2011 11:47 AM
Has Anyone Tried This In The Desert? rawright 0 Feb 8, 2011 6:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America