Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: A Passing Glimpse - Identifying Plants at 60 MPH: Familiar faces

Communities > Forums > Article: A Passing Glimpse - Identifying Plants at 60 MPH
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Passing Glimpse - Identifying Plants at 60 MPHReplies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 26, 2008
7:53 AM

Post #5161252

Good article. To me plants are a little like people, once you met and got acquainted with someone you will spot him (her) in a crowd. Same with plants, once you know them by shape, color, size and so on they seem to pop out of the general growth, I experiment it a lot here in tropical location where there is a very large variety of species, in the beginning it was like walking amongst a crowd in L.A.or New-York, unknown faces, then little by little I get to know more and more. So now even while driving I recognize most but have to stop every once in a while, get closer and make introduction!
JJ
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5161814

I moved to Texas 10 years ago from Ohio, having lived in the Midwest states all of my life. One of the things that took longest for me to get used to was not recognizing the plants I was passing by when we went on drives. I was used to being able to recognize most of the crops in the fields, and most of the wildflowers along the road, and now everything was different! One of the blessings of having found Dave's Garden 4 years ago is that now I can once again recognize a lot of the plants we drive by, which helps me feel much more at home. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5162155

Thanks for a fun read and for bringing a favorite poem back to the front of my memory!

I've been getting better at recognizing plants, too... and the more time I spend looking at photos posted here and adding different plants to my own garden, the more specific my IDs are becoming... but you're right, often we're doing well if we can figure it out in a general fashion!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5165601

Kelli, thanks! I, too, have been very interested in my surroundings - being able to ID native plants. I Really enjoyed this article. A magnificent job! Frost is my all-time favorite.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5166275

That is funny, yes if you do know the conditions and when things flower you can guess pretty close.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Passing Glimpse - Identifying Plants at 60 MPH Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good company melody 1 Jul 1, 2008 1:44 AM
Passing Flowers penquist 1 Jun 30, 2008 7:11 PM
so cute wormfood 0 Jul 1, 2008 1:49 AM
passing flowers ... yeah ! docmoo 1 Aug 27, 2012 1:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America