Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Creating a "Trash to Treasure" Many Holed Coleus Cutting Planter: Add a watering pipe for easy watering

Communities > Forums > Article: Creating a "Trash to Treasure" Many Holed Coleus Cutting Planter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Creating a "Trash to Treasure" Many Holed Coleus Cutting PlanterReplies: 1, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5162060

Janet, Very nice article and I love your planter and I will be making one before long. Wow just think how many coleus a 55gal drum could hold. Taking cuttings at the end of the season and doing a pot like this would be a wonderful way to over winter a lot of different coleus in a small space.
I wanted to add that years ago I did something similar but a little different. I started out with a very inexpensive plastic pot. My pot is much shorter and has larger holes (doorknob size) but not near as many. One of the things that my planter has and I really love is a watering pipe. I cut a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe about the height of my planter and drilled holes in it, and put it in the center of my pot before I filled it. leaving a little stick out the top of the potting soil. That way I can water the roots all the way to the bottom of the pot. It works very well and when the Coleus top fills in you don't see the pipe. I'm sending a picture of my planter it's not completely planted in this picture so you can see the holes and pipe. Thanks again for the great article and the great idea. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5162139

This is such an ingenious way to get the water through the planter. I wish I'd thought of this. You can bet I'll be incorporating this idea into the next one I create. Thank you so much for sharing this idea.

Janet

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Creating a "Trash to Treasure" Many Holed Coleus Cutting Planter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Whoo Weee! georgiagarden3 4 Jun 26, 2008 2:15 PM
Oooooh, I want one! jlp222 16 Jun 28, 2008 3:22 AM
Great article! svplantingfool 3 Jun 26, 2008 1:57 PM
Here's an updated photo from yesterday UniQueTreasures 18 Jul 20, 2008 2:28 PM
I feel special!!! phughes 3 Jun 26, 2008 2:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America