Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!: Deer and rabbits: dumb and dumber?

Communities > Forums > Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!Replies: 0, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Colorado_Karen
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5163816

Great list! As I'm sure everyone who's learned to garden around these rascals knows, there are NO plants that are guaranteed to be left unscathed by deer and rabbits. I've seen deer bite off the flowers of even poisonous plants (digitalis, daffodils, etc.) and spit them on the ground! My only consolation was imagining them having nasty headaches afterward.

The one thing you can count on with deer is their reliance on habit and their long memories. My husband and I had blossoms out on new phlox and platycodons, which the deer denuded before giving up on our yard again. They didn't even try our back yard, newly filled with yummy veggies and lillies! If you keep the entrance (the deer's entrance, that is) populated only with plants you know they'll skip, they usually won't venture much further. And yes, once they associate a yard with a scary experience like a dog, they'll steer clear for a long time.

With rabbits, try planting a spot nearby with clover. Yeah, it'll spread unless you keep it under control, but no rabbit can resist clover, and will (likely!) pass over your other plants for it. And as a bonus, clover adds nitrogen to the soil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dear little creatures Fitsy 0 May 5, 2008 11:51 AM
take black-eyed susans off your list blackthumb1101 2 Jun 22, 2008 3:03 AM
rabbits eat more on this list! artinthegarden 13 Sep 17, 2010 9:24 AM
Deer Resistant plants always of interest tabasco 1 Sep 13, 2010 6:08 AM
Bushy tails, rats on stilts & voles al448789 1 May 6, 2008 1:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America