-
AuthorContent
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5164646

My son say's you cannot grow tomatoes in Georgia Clay. Can someone answer this for me?

Do they do good and do they teast good?

When do you plant tomatoes in Georgia?

I am from Ohio.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

June 27, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5165267

When we lived in Roswell (red clay heaven just north of Atlanta) we had a cherry tomato plant that grew 12 ft up the side of a raised patio then 20 feet along the railing on one side and was starting on the adjacent railing when frost killed it.

Our method was to plant and forget. So experience of one, I'd say that you can grow tomatoes in Ga's red clay. They were delicious. I'm not certain of date to plant seedlings, but I imagine about the end of March.

Frank

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5165282

Hi Golden_Eagle,

I tried growing tomatoes in GA red clay, they didn't do well. Now I raise tomatoes on top of the clay in raised beds with lots of mulch. They do great and taste is good IMHO. I raise mostly heirloom varieties. I am in the Atlanta area and I start mine in early to mid-March for transplant outside around April 15. You may want to post your question in the Georgia Gardening Forum for more opinions/answers. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_ga/all/

Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fourks
Evergreen, CO

June 27, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5168541

I'm using earthboxes this year. Wow! At this growth rate they will be twenty feet high. I live on a rock at 8600"
girlgroupgirl

June 28, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5170851

Cherry tomatoes will re-seed into the clay and won't much care. However good big size tomatoes need good soil as beclu727 says. I grow mine the same way as she does. Copious amounts of organic materials, and I use only organic fertilizers too like bone meal, soft rock phosphate and fish emulsion.
Although I am having problems with some cherokee purple this year, the green zebras and Matt's wild cherry are once again going INSANE and flower right through heat for me. I have about 40 good size green zebra ripening all on one plant.
My raised beds grow more than tomatoes too - lettuce are still going in them, as are other leaf veg, we've been eating eggplant, some nice little hot peppers, .. winter squash is prolific and I probably now have 10 good size squash growing on one plant. Beans are all coming up (I was late on beans).

If you've got manures or compost you can do it.

GGG
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5172434

Or check out Strawbale Gardening...works for me:))
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5285014

Georgia clay probably has good nutrients, but the drainage is very poor. And the soil may be alkaline rather than neutral to slightly acidic which is what tomatoes prefer.

I would do raised beds with open bottoms, so eventually all the goodies you are adding to the "box" such as horse, cow, sheep, or rabbit manure, alfalfa meal, cotton burr compost, shredded leaves, etc. work their way down into the soil and improve it.

Tomatoes will use all the space below the soil line if it's good soil.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 10:48 AM
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #5286854

Our SC clay is pretty acid, even for azaleas and rhodies to do fine. I planted some in the ground in late May (I think) and they're doing quite well. There are two plants each of Rutgers and Mr/ Stripey, and so far, so good. Two ripe Rutgers, and they were good! The Mr. Stripey has fewer tomatoes, but they're larger, and one is getting close.
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5287222

Been growing 'maters here in Georgia in red clay since the 60's, no problems!
fiddle
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #5287837

we grew tomatoes in Warner Robins, Ga many years back, when I was stationed there in the service. don't remember the variety, or the soil type, but the maters did good, beneath the tall pine trees

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America