Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Sweating Calla Lily

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cindy_PA
Watsontown, PA

June 26, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5164880

For 2 years I've had the same calla lily in a pot on an enclosed patio. It starts growing and looks strong. But it starts having liquid or water droplets on the ends of the leaves then all the leaves wilt. It stayed that way all last year. Never bloomed. I moved it outside (gets a little sun) 2 weeks ago but it still looks pretty bad.
Any ideas or Help?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5165364

The water droplets are probably a phenomenon called guttation, some plants do this and it's a natural thing, it doesn't harm the plant and isn't a sign of a problem. The wilting could just be weather related--my callas are planted outside since they're hardy here, but when the weather gets really hot they do tend to get a little ragged looking and sometimes go pretty much dormant if they get too unhappy with the heat (but they come back when the weather cools off). Mine do best in a mostly shaded area that doesn't really get any direct sun at all, they've managed to stay decent looking through a couple of hot spells, but if you get into an extended period of hot temps or if you have them in more sun then they can get a little stressed. Or it could be a sign of a watering issue, both too much and too little water will cause wilting, so I'd stick your finger down a few inches into the soil and see how things feel--if it's sopping wet you're watering too much and you should cut back, but if it's really dry then you're not watering enough.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5175277

IF you just moved the pot outdoors 2 weeks ago, the plant needs more time to recover from whatever shocked and caused the plant to wilt, they dont like being in a dry atmosphere and like the roots kept fairly damp or they do wilt and get stressed, the sign of so much liquid oozing from the foliage, to me sounds like the growing position, soil and watering is wrong, so the plant makes the roots stop the intake of moisture and this in turn means the plant is stresses and trying to rid itself or more moisture, like us sweating, I would suggest you remove the plant from the pot, shake off all the potting soil and examine the roots and bulbs/tubers, it should feel really plump and firm when you gently squeeze it, if soft and oozes gunge, then your tuber/bulb is rotting and toss it away if you cant split it up into good firm pieces, re-pot the good bits and start again, but give drainage and when you water this time, the plant wont be sitting in too much water, they do like cool damp situations and some shade, but they dont like to sit in water for long periods of time, in pots, mine flower best when the pot is bulging with growth, when I have to re-pot, I just use a slightly larger pot size so the roots dont take too long to refill the pot, I also give them a liquid feed in the growing season every two weeks as there is not a lot of compost in the pot compared to the amount of growth. hope this helps you out, good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America