Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Have fruit but now what?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 6, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pieohmy
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5165134

I have two fruits on my P. caerulea. I would like to keep them for seeds but don't know anything about passiflora seeds. I've searched but didn't come up with much information. I'm wondering when do I pick the fruit. How to dry the seeds and how long are they viable?
pieohmy
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5165154

Well, now I see that most of these questions have been answered by LouisianMark in another thread. Can anyone tell me how long the seeds are viable?
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5165246

Hi pieohmy,

Let them fruits fall naturally--don't pick em. You can put them in mesh bags that you tie to your trellis--that way you don't have trouble finding them when they drop. I have read that the seed embryos continue to develop after the fruit falls (they get nutrients from the juice in the arils), so you are supposed to let fruit ripen at least a week or two before removing the seeds. I have successfully germinated incarnata seeds that were left in the fruit for 4 months before being removed, so I don't think it really matters how long you leave them in the fruit. The seeds should be good for several years, but germination rates decline over time. Some say that fresh wet seed germinates best, but I have not found this to be the case with incarnata or Incense x caerulea. Good luck!

Mark
pieohmy
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5165309

Wonderful, thanks for the information. I look at my passi everyday so I shouldn't miss the fruit falling. Most of the seeds will be used in the same spot so I will let one of them go naturally and see what happens. I'm trying to fill a large area where an oak fell, they are growing up the roots of the fallen oak now.

I was reading up on your crossing efforts. Do you sell the hybirds or is it just a personal hobby? I'm not far and neither is jlp222 (another local that loves passis).
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5165613

Its just a hobby, and I'm really just a beginner. Last year was my first year growing anything other than caerulea and incarnata. I was able to get about 15 fruits on my Incense--all crossed with caerulea. The fruits had a lot of flat seeds, but I did get about 200 that looked viable. I planted 30 earlier this spring, and only 6 came up. Of those, 2 died, 2 are weak, and 2 were vigorous. So I planted another 70 seeds a week ago. The first one popped out today. I am hoping to get something that looks like Indigo Dreams. I have some extra Incense seeds--if you want some just send me a few stamps. Plenty of incarnata also.

I'm trying to germinate some kermisina and loefgreni seeds now. So far nothing. If they don't start to get with program soon, I'm gonna have break down and buy them as plants.
pieohmy
Independence, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5165722

Well, I have some pieces of Jlp222's (on this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818863/) So I may be crossing them soon enough myself. Her's is incense and is beautiful in bloom. I may just have to take you up on the seed offer.

Do you fertilize your caerulea? I read on floridata not to and mine is doing ok but it doesn't do as much as I would like it to. I average 2-3 blooms a day right now and it is a year old.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5165854

I used some MG granules this spring, but I don't think they dissolved, so I'm going to use some liquid fertilizer soon. My caerulea is looking pretty bad right now (yellow leaves at bottom, etc).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America