Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Botrytis Mold of Strawberries: Spelling

Communities > Forums > Article: Botrytis Mold of Strawberries
bookmark
Forum: Article: Botrytis Mold of StrawberriesReplies: 7, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

June 27, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5168523

I believe the correct spelling of this fungus is Botrytis cinerea.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5168586

Thanks for the correction.

I'm a bit dyslexic that way.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 9, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6661648

Strawberries lose thier vigor? I have always heard this but not really sure how to keep a vigourous patch going. Is it the crown that does this and if you get a runner off of the crown and get it started again will the vigor return? OR do I have to order new plants? If so where do they get their plants from seed?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
9:03 AM

Post #6662358

Most people order new plants.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 10, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6668709

But where do the nursery get vigorous plants then? This is for my curiousity only, it is something that some one like me who obsessessivesssss over plants wants to know?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6669220

I think they get them from runners, not seed.
NullSqueaks

December 18, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #7380248

For future reference, as this is an interesting concept;
There is a phenomenon known as hybrid vigor or outbreeding enhancement. The technical term is heterosis and it has everything to do with genetics and selective breeding. This is a bit complex of a subject which could be described using lots and lots of big words, but here is how I understand it in a nutshell.
So whenever plants, including strawberries, have sex and produce offspring you can effectively refer to those offspring as being "hybrids" of the parents. The genetic material of the parents is shared and combined, those genes will determine what characteristics or traits the plants have. Some of these traits may be desirable and translate into stronger, more vigorous and better adapted plants (this is hybrid vigor) while others are harmful. Those that are harmful should become recessive and die out through natural selection.
However, when there is a lack of genetic diversity such as in a patch of strawberry siblings and these siblings are inbred the resulting offspring likely will not be as vigorous as the previous generation(s). As the inbreeding continues the homozygosity also increases. What that means is that the alleles of the genes (which translate into traits) are becoming more and more the same and undesirable recessive traits become more apparent making the offspring less vigorous.
While nurseries may propagate their stock of strawberries through "runners" (clones), the initial starts probably would have come from a plant started from seed. Strawberry breeders will painstakingly select parent plants with different desirable traits to crossbreed. If the resulting offspring is faster growing, produces more blossoms and bigger fruit with increased resistance do disease it is said to have hybrid vigor. Once the breeder obtains all the characteristics desired, I would imagine that this is when runners are taken as identical clones to be shipped off to the nurseries.
Here are some references:
http://www.answers.com/topic/heterosis-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis
http://www.innovationaccess.ucdavis.edu/strawberry/program.htm
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 19, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7381396

Nullsqueaks thank you.
But the runners are clones from vigorous plants from seed, so why would they finally lose their vigour. hmmm

Unless as time goes by the strawberries produce plants from seeds - and little by little taking over the patch and their runners are not what they should be?

Could that be it?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Botrytis Mold of Strawberries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cotton seed hull mulch bsfrisco 0 Jun 10, 2009 12:07 PM
hydrogen peroxide isn't bleach davea0511 1 Jul 25, 2010 3:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America