Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 27, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5168719

got this Goddess mask kit and the Greek God, well, I used the ingredients they supplied in the kit..

The goddess kit had a lot of small lumps and looked like cottage cheese (the small curds)...

then I made the Greek God and his mix did not have any type of lumps, even though they said the mixes contained the same exact thing. she came out smoother than he did..

Well, then I mixed my own PC with crushed perlite, and made two more, they came out okay.. but, the mix started to set really fast and I had to work quickly... It also had more bubbles because I couldn't get them out fast enough before the concrete set.

Does anyone know of a light weight recipe for these molds that leave the face smooth (maybe I need to make the mix more soupy...

HELP>.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 27, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5168852

Here are the Portland concrete faces.. I carved just a little to make a couple details more pronouced..

Thumbnail by Gourd

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5182296

Those look good! I tell ya it could be the mix or your release agent causing the roughness.
Some release agents make little "bubbles" or to put it another way, cause less detail to be captured by the concrete mix. But, a traditional Tufa mix will not be smooth either.

A regular concrete mix with sand and tiny perlite in the mix will come out smoother, but will not necessarily be as lighweight as tufa.

You can make your mix "soupier" by using less aggregate. Don't add more water .
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 30, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5182335

Thank you, I didn't use any aggregates, but maybe I need to get that silica dust they say is in the ingredients, maybe if I google I can find out where they sell it. I was hoping that if I got the perlite ground fine enough that it would help.. but these things are really heavy and so are the ones in the kit, so I don't think there is any such thing as Light Weight concrete.. lol

correction: should be silica dust

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 9:49 AM
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5182365

Perlight, sand, gravel, peat,etc are considered "Aggregates".
In other words anything besides cement,colorant and water or some other liquid.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 30, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5182370

oh, that is good to know.. I thought it mean't rocks, gravel only..

have you heard of that silica dust?
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5182378

BTW instead of going thru the trouble of crushing horticultural Perlite...go to HD or any other contractor supply and get the fine perlite they mix with paint or stucco. Much cheaper too!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 11:54 AM
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5182381

Yep, but haven't used it. I don't know where to get it unless you have a cement supplier in your area...a place that only deals with sement or some other company that supplies cement contractors.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 30, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5182385

Oooh, I've got to see if I can find it now... Is there a special name for it, or should I just ask for perlite mix... also, I am going to to get that plaster I saw and mix it in with some of the white portland cement to see if I can make a tall statue (gargoyle)... I am going there tonight.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5182392

Plaster and cement mix fine...and it will be smooth.But it is not waterproof for the outdoors unless you seal it. At least it will not hold water as in a bird bath or take alot of getting wet...
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5182404

Try the paint dept at HD and look for a box of the perlite. I don't think it will say perlite on it...I get mine from a place that supplies stucco and paint contrators in very large bags. Last time it cost about 10 bucks for one bag...I bet it's more now tho.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 30, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5182414

I was thinking about that, sealing it for sure... my aunt has that Diamond plaster on her kitchen walls and those curved doorways, and she waxed the walls to seal them, but don't remember with what, anyway,,, boy do they look nice.. I wish I had taken photos.. she never has to paint again.. I'd like to do that someday to the whole house.. but I know it is impossible.. unless I hire someone to do it and I design it.. some nichos to go along with the walls.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 30, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5182424

I got a huge bag of perlite in Arizona of all places at the Lowes there, these lowes don't carry those huge sacks.. is it in a large green bag (huge bag).. I still have about 1/2 of it left from last year. Now I wish I had gotten two bags while we were there on vacation last year.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5182817

No it's in a very large bown one... :)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 1, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5188138

I found a couple of boxes for use in popcorn ceilings and a couple of boxes they use for texture... they were on sale too... also, I didn't get the plaster, those bags are too heavy for me 50 #'s, may get one when DH goes with me. They were also on sale,, do these expire? I wonder, sometimes if they lose there viability when they are old and then get stored at my place even longer..lol
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5189565

LOL I am not sure about plaster...I use mine pretty fast. I imagine if you seal it tight like you would cement it will last longer.I use alot of it when I am making backups for my latex molds. I haven't done any mold making this year, been way too busy with work and landscaping the yard.

Glad you found a smaller grade of the Perlight...and at a bargain. It is such a pain to try to grind the big stuff down. :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 7, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5217661

gourd -i made my goddess-in fact i dreamed about her last night! anyhow she is in the mold in my tub waiting to be released--my question is--it did not say to keep her damp--did you? i ask because when i have been making my leaves i read to keep them damp for 2 days to "cure" them
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5218094

Hi plano, yes, I misted them and covered them with plastic and of course checked them and remisted them (I think I just wanted to look at them), it didn't say to do that, but I figure it will make the concrete stronger like you said regarding the leaves and maybe they will last longer. It can't hurt. be sure to show us your goddess... I'm going to try to find the green man mold.. this hobby lobby didn't have it.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 7, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5218364

well i think mine is mostly dry--did it 2 days ago so too late to mist ? if it is too late will do next time--i am being lazy and you might have already told somewhere but-what did you use for the mold after using what they supplied?--will group mix work? quickcrete? quickcrete and grout mix together?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5223712

I used some portland and sand, but added some crushed perlite because I was hoping to make it lighter... it didn't feel any lighter though... maybe using the tufa recipe will work as far as light weight stuff. The sand definitely will make it smoother than the perlite, that is one of the reasons that I used an old rolling pin to crush it.. They don't look bad with the perlite though, mine have been outside since then.

I did seal the two from the kit and they look great with that tint.. the gray ones, most likely need to cure more, because when I sealed them, they are now showing white stains, don't know if it is from the spray misting or if I sealed in the lime..lol BACK to the LAB with these guys.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 8, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5225059

my goddess is out of the mold and i am decorating her--i am using gorilla glue and i am finding i do not like gorilla glue!! not like using a glue gun where it holds in place instantly--this glue lets the stones slide around --every time i go back to check i have to push a stone back in place! i will use tile adhesive next time--but i think she is pretty so far--
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5225073

That sounds great, I haven't added my beads yet... but will, that silicone sealant works great, almost like a glue gun and it doesn't melt off in the heat, like the glue gun does.. I made some wreaths one year and used the glue sticks and all the cones fell off my wreath with the heat..
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 8, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5225281

i know --glue guns are great but not for the heat! and of course new mexico and texas know heat!! i have the silicone sealant too--but since i had the gorilla glue thought i'd give it a try--next time i use silicone--i have tons of beading -like people use to finish off pillows etc--i put a strip of black beads hanging down and then white and clear beads up to the top of her head--very elegant!!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 18, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5277649

Here are the two pots from the concrete mix.. I'm almost done.. i'm debating whether to grout or not.. I still need to finish up the Greek God, she's almost done, have to outline her eyes and I'll see exactly how much I need to do tomorrow, the first outline is in copper metallic paint and I painted both terracotta pots before I started putting on the flat marbles.. gives me good practice for the others.

planolinda, post photos of yours, I'd love to see them.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 18, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5277655

Here's a front view..

Thumbnail by Gourd

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5279224

gourd mine is a lot like yours only different colors--i have the exact same type of beads hanging down from the same spot-mine are black-and the same type of flat marbles only mine are clear and foggy and white (3 different kinds)--i like the eyes--i didn't do that--i used the dye that came with the kit and so my goddess is sort of a brick color and i used my new spray i am so happy with so it is sort of shiny but not like a gloss--are you going to make any more?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 18, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5279331

I am hoping to finish up the red set first, then make more for my DD and DIL.. the metallic paint was from Hobby Lobby in those small plastic bottles, I won't chance using a spray on these I might spray the whole thing by accident..lol,

.. well, if you get a chance post a photo, i'll bet each one has it's own character.

A.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5279437

i can't decide if i like the pots or not--i am not trying to be rude-you know how i love whatever you do and post--
can't tell if it makes the pot show too much--so you tell me--when you look at the pot do the marbles show from the front?
i might add them to my pot if they do not show from front--
also-my pot does not stand up by itself-- i think i will need to put something heavy in the bottom of the pot otherwise it tips forward from the heavy face-
isn't this fun!!
greyma
Mukwonago, WI

July 18, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5279584

going back quite a few posts someone asked about silica dust. I got silica flour from a ceramics supply place. you can get it in different meshes (particle size), I got a very fine one and it is the consistency of flour. haven't used it yet.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 18, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5279968

Thanks for the information on the silica dust.. I've got to see if there is a ceramic supply place here, I was told to go 50 miles down to El Paso for supplies for ceramic and stained glass.. I may make a list of things I need and go there in a week or two.

The marbles do not show from the front, and i used those heavyduty biggest marbles I could find on the pot so that the weight would shift to the back where it is needed, use the smaller flat marbles on the headdress. That should take care of the problem, also, notice under the chin on mine, it also tipped forward, I added those big flat stars on the bottom and actually glued one on top of the other to make it level with the back, that way it would not tip to the front, you will get it.. just keep adding, it looks like a full headdress that goes under the chin, just keep the color the same for the pot and under the face. I really like mine, I don't like the pot showing. Once the plants start growing you will not even see the marbles at all is what I'm thinking.

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5280159

aren't you smart!? the weight of the marbles balances AND you can't see them from the front! very good gourd! i like it!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 18, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5281191

I love your Goddess! LOVE the beads ☺
I've done quite a few now, I use Quickcrete cement patch. If you make the mix a little on the soupy side instead of the consistency of brownie mix it will come out much smoother on the face. I also lightly spray the mold with cooking spray before pouring in the cement, the mold slides out really easy that way. I also use patio paints to tint the cement.

Linda, lets see yours!!

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5281199

so pretty! and i see you have put a little something under the chins to have them upright? did you do any masks to hang up? i love the plants you chose for hair--i think they are just beautiful!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 18, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5281207

I have one Goddess and one Tiki head that are ready to decorate. I stuck hooks in the back to hang instead of on a pot. Now if I could just find the time?

C'mon! Pictures!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5281233

maybe i am pretending to make the pots!! and so no pics! amusing myself!

truth is i do not have a camera and i have not learned to take pics with my phone and it seems like a very complicated thing to learn that and then still have to figure out how to put them on the computer!!
yesterday i spent an hour just trying to set up a yahoo account and a freecycle account
i keep thinking how much fun it would be to show my yard and gardens and work etc but just don't do the learning

my husband always says he will take the pics but never gets around to it --

maybe i should set a time for myself to learn by--like this weekend!

i am warning you i might get camera obsessed--i can overdo things once i learn! you will be saying "enough already with the pictures"

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 18, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5281265

Can never have enough pictures!
Isn't there a teenager around somewhere? They'd have it figured out for you in 30 seconds ☺
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 18, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5281283

yes there is a teen but not in site --ha ha
and you are right he would have it in no time--it is me who is dragging her feet--i like crafts and working with my hands but i hate technology--
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 19, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5282597

I was scared to death to upload photos and didn't know a megapixel from an pix axe..lol but, once I learned (all on DG) by the way.. go the camera forum and they will help you thru it.

Fish_knees, I love your goddesses! I also went and got some of the quickcrete concrete patch.. now i'll probably get kicked out of the house..lol They almost look like they have different features..was it the same mold? I love them.. you did a great job decorating the crowns.. Did you paint that first and middle one starting on the left handside? They look almost metal like. I need to show you the glass beads I have for the red goddess, these beads are really nice. I can hardly wait to put these on, they are just hanging there on the pot to see how it would look, but I think they will look great.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 19, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5282655

P.S. Fish_knees, what did you seal them with and how?, they look great!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 19, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5282869

Love, Love, Love those beads!

The one on the left I used the tint that came with the kit. The center one I used a blue patio paint to tint the cement. The light green one came out of the mold with a lot of imperfections :(
Thats when I decided to try using Pam cooking spray after that one. It works like a charm! Anyway I used the spray paint that sprays on like sand and gives a stone look (to cover all the problem spots) Then I did a color wash with a green patio paint.

I use a spray polyurathane to seal them. The polyurathane makes the paint color much deeper. The blue one was actually a really pale blue until I sprayed the sealer on.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 19, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5283097

i think those green beads will look great! i like the ball at the end of the bead strands-
thanks for mentioning the camera forum--i never thought of that!
i used up all my quickcrete and told myself i was done with it for the summer--but now i want to make more masks or face pots! see what you are doing with those excellent ideas and pics?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 20, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5288210

These will make great gifts if you can bear to part with them..lol I've got a few more to make.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5290037

very origional gifts! when you make your mask will you fill it less full?
i was thinking it wouldn't need the same thickness since it isn't holding a pot and that maybe a little less thickness would save a bit on both quickcrete and weight for hanging--
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 20, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5290069

I'm not too sure about less in the masks, but I like the pots more, so that is what they will get probably.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5290098

i think the masks placed around the garden are fun too--without a pot
but i do think the pot gives you a chance to give them hair which is fun!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5291085

gourd-i got my coupon from hobby lobby and am thinking about how to use it--i was looking at your pics of the face pots and noticed that you bought the greek god (male) face pot--but you seem to make the goddess more often--maybe because it is more fun to decorate? how did you like the other one? and did you try the other two?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 20, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5291421

I made two of each one, 2 goddesses and 2 greek gods... I really don't know if they will have the others I want. I really like him also just haven't had the time to finish him up and they had been curing outside. There are others I want to try but they did not have anymore of the ones on the box, hopefully tomorrow they will have at least a different one... I want the tiki and the green man.. if they don't, I guess I'll be making more gods..lol
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5292007

how do you think you can dress up the god?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #5292030

Wow! Those face pots look great! Y'all are simply amazing how you have decorated them! Thanks for the suggestion of using quickcrete concrete patch! I will definitely try that! I genuinely love the beads and decorations you have done on the foreheads of these faces! Very cool! Thanks for posting all the photos to help me visualize how you are doing them. :-)
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 20, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5292203

Hi Becky!!! it was all your idea, I got the kit... I love them. I just sprayed one with the speckled stone spray.. it looks great, I used gray stone paint.. it is outside drying. I got some of the concrete patch also, but just got it yesterday and have not tried it.. will do that on the next ones.. also, I just got a stock tank too, I copy all of you..lol.. it will be very interesting for me, I want to try pond plants and fish too. I'm very excited here.

I like the rocks on the face pot Fish_knees did.., actually, I love all of them.. I haven't gotten plants for them yet, but will try various cactus and maybe will get some in the springs, i'm afraid that buying plants now will just kill them before I get a chance to finish these off.

Did you see the post on the spheres?
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5292293

when using quickcrete to make the goddess--did anyone ever measure how much to use? i made one with the quickcrete but did not measure and now that i have gotten another bag of quickcrete i thought how handy it would be to know how much to measure out each time for the head--it sets so quickly that if you do not make enough it is hard to add to it and if you make too much it is wasteful--
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5292321

Fill the head mold with water...and measure that. At least you would know how much wet crete you need.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 20, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5292334

oh my goodness--aren't you the smart one! i never thought of that! great idea! and to think that i go about just guessing at things when if i just used a little logic-----
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5292349

You learn from others always...that's how I did.
I am no genius believe me...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America