Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5168819

Hi there!

I have been hearing a lot about the decline of the honey bee population, and was wondering if there is anything I can do, as just your average gardener, to encourage their well-being.

I do not really want to start a hive, but I would like to know what I can do to help. I live in the suburbs, grow flowers, and do not use any insecticides, but is there more I can do?

One of the most interesting ways I've found to "support" the honey bees is to buy the Haagen-Dazs "Help the Honey Bees" ice cream :)

TIA,
Jeannie
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5170058

Water, water, water! Bees love shallow pans of water (put a rock or some pebles in it so they can crawl down to drink). Be careful with pesticides, if you have to use them, do it at night when they aren't around. You can also plant things they like, Hollyhocks, sunflowers and flowers that have lots of pollen and are easy to get into. They feed their young pollen.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5181775

Cool, I just added Hollyhocks to my garden this year :)

Should I be worried about breeding mosquitos by putting out water?
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5182525

I don't think a few shallow pans of water would make a diffrence in mosquitos, but if it worries you, just change the water every few days.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5182560

Guess I probably should do that anyway to keep the water clean :)
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5204538

Was watering my beds today and remembered your post. Evidentially they are shy about being photographed because the daisies were covered with bees before I got out my camera. Only this one little guy stuck around for a picture.

Thumbnail by duck_toller
Click the image for an enlarged view.

UniversalGarden
Las Vegas, NV

August 5, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #5370473

The well being of honey bees is determined by several key factors. Besides the important things that the hive requires, bees have to have good fresh water available whenever they need it. Next, they need a variety of flowering plants to obtain nectar and most importantly pollen. The more plants you grow that provide an abundant source of nectar and pollen from organically grown plants, the more prolific the hive they support will flourish. The more fresh, running water and non toxic plants (those grown without petro-chemicals) the more robust the bee will be. Look at this photo, it is of bees from some of my hives that I keep. Here they have a source of nectar and pollen from huge prickly pear cactus I grow in Arizona. This is one of several plants I maintain for my bees. The rewards are amazing, healthy flourishing hives that provide the best tasting honey and pollen you can imagine.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 1:51 PM

Thumbnail by UniversalGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5476397

Universal, that photo is terrific! Did you take that? What lens are you using? I'm assuming you have a DSLR, as shallow a depth of field it has. It's wonderful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America