Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Seed Pods picked too early, advise needed.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
willowbreeze
Baldwinville, MA

June 28, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5170379

I am looking for some advise. I think I made a big boo-boo. I collected all the seed pods from my Irises without allowing them to dry on the plant. Will I be able to dry them out and replant them or do I need to discard them?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5175143

Hi Willow, well now that you have gathered the seed pods, it would be a shame not to dry them and then plant them just to see IF you can get something from them, let the pods dry off and go brown/dry. then try to open them, be careful as the seeds when dry can jump out the pods once you break the pods up. either set the seeds (large) into pots/trays of compost and leave in a cool place to get them to germinate, (they look like blades of grass at first) then when warmer weather comes, set them out in a row till they are large enough to go out into the garden and grow onto flowering size. Next year, when your irises are finished flowering, leave the pods on the plants prob a few months till you see that the pods are brown/dry and almost ready to burst open, then harvest the pods as this tells you the seeds have had time to mature into growing size seeds and you will get better success that way, if you are going away from home at the time your pods are about dry, then cut the whole stem off the plants, hang them upside down to finish the drying proses but tie a paper bag over the pods so that if the pods do burst, they will fall into the bag and you will have your seeds inside the bag ready to plant as directed before. you never said which type of Iris you were trying to grow from seeds as some take many years to reach flowering time, while others need to be split up at the tubers for better, longer life, Good luck. WeeNel.
willowbreeze
Baldwinville, MA

June 29, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5176661

Thank you so much for the advise. I have Siberian Blue Flag Irises (sorry, for not being clear on that) and they have been in my garden for 5 years and I would very much like to trade some of them. They're taking over parts of my garden and I don't like it. The Irises are still producing seed pods and I will do the right thing with them. I don't have the time to make sure the seeds I already picked will grow which is a shame. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a friend that will. I have a lot of them.

Thumbnail by willowbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America