Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Mayotte, l'Óle aux parfums.: Is this lemur specific to this island?

Communities > Forums > Article: Mayotte, l'Óle aux parfums.
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mayotte, l'Óle aux parfums.Replies: 6, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 29, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5176420

Jean-Jacques. Good morning! Almost like taking a wonderful trip on Sunday morning. I love that little guy at the top of the page. Do they operate at night - or all day long? Are they loners, or do they stay in family groups?

How do they get the ylang-ylang out of the cananga odorata trees?

gloria

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 29, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #5176584

Hi Gloria
Yes, those little guys are so cute you want to hand around with them...They are not specific to Mayotte, they originate from Madagascar but have been there since man memory. They come around during the day but nap at lunchtime and are more active in the morning and dayfall, they are always in groups, ten to fifteen, with female leaders.
The ylang is obtained by steam distillating the flowers, a huge amount is needed for a few drops.
JJ
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 29, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5176650

Ylang ylang is a wonderful scent. thanks for the info on the lemurs.
The look like a race of little people.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 29, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5176659

Yes, and they are the only animals to share fingerprints with humans!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 29, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5176683

Ah. Hah. A lemur FBI!
francine38
Falls Church, VA

October 30, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9319852

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for an excellent article. The island must be really fragrant if there are a lot of cananga trees. I am originally from Indonesia, and where I used to live as a child there were also cananga trees. When I used to walk near one, I noticed it right away, not because you see the flowers, but because of the scent. The flowers are yellowish green, so they are not very noticeable, but the scent gives it away. I had bought one plant but unfortunately it did not live long here in Virginia. Have to take it inside in Winter. --Another place I would like to visit.--

Francine

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

October 30, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9320164

Hi Francine,
Terima kasi!
Your name sounds more French than Indonesian thought! Yes, those flowers are quite unconspicuous but very effective regarding the smell, somewhat like night jessamine (Cestrum nocturnum) which you may have gone by during your childhood too.
Jean-Jacques

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mayotte, l'Óle aux parfums. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting libellule 3 Jun 29, 2008 11:54 AM
Fascinating article Dea 5 Jun 29, 2008 6:11 PM
Beautiful Sharran 2 Jun 30, 2008 4:07 AM
Mayotte Island NSgarden 1 Jun 30, 2008 1:02 PM
Tourists cyra 1 Jul 1, 2008 9:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America