Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: When you're not gardening, what's your favorite pastime?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 138, Views: 1,389
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 30, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5181076

There are a total of 496 votes:

Watching TV or movies
(42 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Reading a book or magazine
(141 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Cooking
(33 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Craft or art work
(94 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Building something
(16 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Working on something mechanical (car, appliance, etc.)
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hiking or other outdoor activity
(32 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Swimming, boating, etc.
(16 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Napping
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(105 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5181091

I am usually tinkering with something. I like to build things so I will put that as my first choice. My second choice would be reading but since I now download my books for free at netlibrary.com, I am able to read(listen) while I garden or anything I choose to do. I am mentioning this because so many people my age have given up reading because of sight problems. Check out your local library and see if they are linked to this nationwide program. You are allowed to check out 10 books at a time for 20 days. Sorry didn't mean to preach but so many people do not know this is available to them.
Cindy
libellule
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #5181101

I picked craft/art because I like to write, paint, quilt, cross stitch and make soap when I'm in the house.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5181336

I picked other. I would rather be fishing but repairs, building, cooking, I enjoy.
Hmmm maybe it would be easier to say, I don't care that much for reading or TV. But now visiting over the fence at Dave's Garden, that is a good pass time.
Russ

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #5181443

i picked other, because i didn't know there was any thing else except gardening and DG!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5181508

Silly people I pick surfing the internet!!!! Dave's Garden to be exact!!!!

My other past time is traveling which we haven't done much of lately!!!!

Jeri

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5181537

hi jeri, how are you and mary doing
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5181698

Reading is my second passion. Seems I have less time for that these days so I treasure it even more than I used to.
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5181812

Another tough choice. I voted watching TV. Other was a tossup since Dave didn't include computer [net surfing, although I seldom get past DG]. I generally sit at my computer desk [reading DG] and have a TV in the corner. TV won out since I occasionally leave the desk to eat a meal and watch TV while eating. If there's no food on the table and I'm not at the computer Judy knows I'm outside puttering with plants. Sometimes I fool her and go to the bathroom. There's no TV or computer in there so I don't stay long.

Gary
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5181820

Getting too old to do much but visit DG. Have to cook but really used to Love to cook. Old folks like to give advice so I do that, too. Used to love to fish saltwater. All in all, life is pretty darn good as long as I don't have to move too much!-----

Ann
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5181992

I picked other...if I'm not at work and not in the garden, I'm usually here! LOL
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5182018

Because I am such a lover of propagating plants, I have to make myself try and balance my life a little. When I am not playing with plants, I visit my grandchildren, write letters to prisoners whom I know through my church, love to feed the homeless through the Salvation Army truck with others from my church and collect Tshirts, socks, and hygiene products for them every time I see a bargain somewhere. I could have made that sentence into about 5 sentences...sorry for my rambling.

I feel so selfish with my time wanting to play with plants all the time so it is an effort to bring some balance to my life time wise.

There are so many ways that are fun to help others and have a blast doing it.
My cousin is having a 60th 300+ persons attending with a big rock known band. The entry to the party is a big box of food for the food pantry in the Gulfton area of Houston. Everyone wins this way.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 30, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5182023

How about Daves Garden ? Occupies a lot of my time.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5182073

I assumed living on Dave's Garden and playing with plants is one and the same activity (LOL)
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5182208

I picked Swimming/ Boating. I don't have a pool or a boat, but they are 2 of my favorite things...
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5182236

I work on the internet, plus surfing & playing & researching & reading & DG, so I chose "other". ;)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5182259

Internet!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5182279

Other -- half of the above! If I could just read and knit while going down the creek in my canoe...
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5182285

Definitely "Other", and it's all DG's fault! Third favorite thing after DG (when I'm home) would be reading!
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5182345

Love to read - HAVE to read - I kind of go 'nuts' when I have even a little bit of 'down time' and nothing to read.

I feel reading broadens my mind, enriches my vocabulary and teaches me many things!
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5182364

Nan, you sound like my brother. He is only a year older than I am and he had a book in his hand since he was a small child. Today, he can multi task like no one I have ever seen. He sits at the computer, reads a book and watches television all the time. It drives his wife crazy. He even carries a book in the pickup truck in case he has 5 minutes to spare.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5182527

() I'm not *that* good, (although I am, indeed a 'multi-tasker'!) but do, indeed, have some sort of book or other with me all the time - if not a book, a word search will do!
I've completed a lot of word search puzzles while 'waiting' for kids!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5182643

Other -- When I'm not gardening I'm usually thinking about gardening!
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5182729

Quilting - lots and lots of quilting.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5182740

dumpster-diving,junking...finding things to re-purpose,crafting,quilting,working on my new addition and like gessiegail...playing w/ my african violets and other indoor plants.

P
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5182771

If I'm not gardening, I'm reading about gardening here at DG! Or hiking the woods, and then a good book at bedtime.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5182800

There is something else to do besides DGs or reading Gardening books? Well maybe handcrafts then.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

June 30, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5182838

Hi. I put other because I could have put All. I like lots of things!
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5182843

other- internet!! :D
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5182874

I'd have to say other, too! I'm on here most of the time! How do I add it to the list?

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5182894

Boy, tough choice. I think if internet had been an option, that would have been my choice (I spend a lot of time every day here at DG!) but other than that, hard to choose between reading and cooking. I always am in the midst of at least one book (drives my DH crazy. . .he is a slow reader, and can't understand how I can keep 2-3 books straight at once), and I love to cook and can.

I finally chose cooking, especially this time of year, as I love to see what is ripe and figure out a new recipe to use it in.

PS Housework is on the very absolute bottom of my list. Seems so useless--the kids can mess it up faster than I can clean it, and no one can find anything after I put it away anyway! LOL

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 12:36 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5183139

HA! You'll notice that housekeeping didn't even make the list of possibilities when I put this poll question together (*grin*)
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5183148

Smart Terry!!!
tree44
Phoenix, AZ

June 30, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #5183474

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME...READ...READ...READ...
I HAVE A BOOK WITH ME AT ALL TIMES...NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU
HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MINUTES...CERTAINLY WITH A BOOK AT
MY SIDE THE FEW MINUTES ARE NEVER WASTED. DEARLY LOVE TO
COOK AS WELL.
HOWEVER I MOVED FROM NORTHERN INDIANA 2 YRS. AGO TO PHOENIX,
AZ.
I NEVER DREAMED I COULD GROW ANYTHING HERE, SO I DIDN'T TRY.
WELL, THEN I DECIDED TO TRY A FEW POTTED HERBS. VIOLA, THEY
GREW AND I COOK WITH THEM, SO THIS YEAR I TRIED A TOMATO
PLANT AS WELL AND AGAIN SUCCESS...SO...JUST THE PAST FEW
MONTH'S I'VE PLANTED LANTANA, BOGENVILLA, ALYSSUM, AND MY
NEIGHBOR WHO IS MOVING OUT OF STATE GAVE ME A MADAGASCAR
PALM 6 FT. TALL WITH 2 BRANCHES, I AM NOW IN LOVE. THAT IS HOW
I FOUND DAVES GARDEN. I WANTED TO RESEARCH HOW TO CARE FOR IT.
IT'S A BEAUTY, 16 YRS. OLD HE STARTED IT FROM SEED. NOW I'M ADDICTED
TO DG, I GOT MY FIRST NEWSLETTER TODAY AND HAVE READ EVERY WORD...
I'M THRILLED TO BE ABOARD AND LOVE READING THE FORUMS ETC. I'M GOING
TO LEARN ALOT HERE. ABOUT DESERT GARDENING, AND PLANTS IN GENERAL THAT I MAY BE ABLE TO GROW HERE.

THANK YOU
DG.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 12:48 PM
NerissaCA
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5183721

If I'm not gardening, I am at the gym! Besides those two activities, I'm developing a gardening blog. Will send out announcements when I've gone beyond the "Testing! Testing! 1-2-3!" phase.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5183771

Photographing...just about anything!!! Course there's always "window shopping" to find more to add to the wish list of fragrant plants!!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5183912

If I'm not gardening, I'm either at work, surfing DG, looking through gardening books/ magazines or sleeping.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5184130

Reading, reading, reading! I love to read everything from novels to gardening books to magazines to seed catalogs. I probably read at least a couple of hours every day.

If I'm not reading, I'm on the Internet or playing a game for my leisure time. I work for an online network that produces news and articles related to online games (like World of Warcraft, which I bet many have never heard of, but it has over 10 million subscribers worldwide), so playing games is sort of part of my job...but if I didn't also do it for fun, I wouldn't have this job. ;)
picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5184232

Dancing. What kinds? International folk dance, tango, latin dance, flamenco. It is a little-known fact that in Einstein's energy equation, the M stands for music.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5184367

other-Dave's Garden of course, then reading, then tv
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5184406

I picked Naping LOL
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5184924

dog training, horseback riding, running ...
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5185014

in the winter I read garden books and magazines..and play viedo game or on the pc, summer on the boat or listening to the birds,, I mean when I am not working,,,
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5185170

I read books and magazines, but I also read newspapers on the internet a lot. I especially enjoy the New York Times and the Washington Post. I read books on politics and novels and right now, alas, diet books. I also spend a lot of time talking with my husband. He is a very interesting person to listen to and seems to like to listen to me as well.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5185309

Isn't it fun to get the major newspapers on line? I also never miss The Drudge Report online. (all the gossip and truth)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5185310

Watching TV or movies, reading a book or magazine, building something, working on something mechanical (trucks), hiking or other outdoor activity, swimming, horseback riding, DG, surfing the internet.

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5185708

swimming!!!
truongr
Saint Louis, MO

July 1, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5185976

I handspin and dye my own yarns, sometimes with marigolds dyes from plants that I grow from seeds.
Reading DG's forums is a close second.
Cooking is a third choice.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #5186018

Hard to remember at this time of year since every non-committed moment is spent gardening or with DG--but it would be reading or my Games puzzle magazine- I about croak if I find myself stuck waiting without one of those to pass the time.
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #5186171

I love to do EVERYTHING- but I chose swimming/boating b/c I rarely get to do either. I love skiing, kick boxing, rock hunting, hiking, horseback riding, reading, painting, pottery- oh, and serving my boss, Jax, the smartest, cutest little Ragdoll kitten EVER.

Oops, I forgot- SHOPPING!!! (I will be on the first Olympic Shopping Team, as soon as I get it approved as a sport.)
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:25 AM

Post #5186271

Mineral, crystal, & geode collecting.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5186609

Love to reading books to knowledges for gardening and do something new ideal from gardening magazines... Also I do read some true story from the books...

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5186755

I put cooking because I love to shut myself up in the kitchen and make all sorts, trouble is my DH eats it all and gets fatter! but I also love to read,sew, do crafts etc. the going to the gym bit was definately not me-just forms of excercise are strictly just for watching on TV. NOT participation!
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5186858

Have you seen "Shimmy" on the fit network? It's bellydancing. Looks so easy, wouldn't hurt the old bod! Bet it's fun, too!
tinabeana
Greenville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5187112

Computer, hands down. Followed by about half the other things on the list! =)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5187142

Before I was a Mom I would have chosen ALL of those things. But now---if there IS time for a pastime other than keeping up with the plants then hands down it's a NAP! There is no time for a TV program around here anymore LOL!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5187268

LOL Tir_na_Nog, I know what you mean. I don't know how my friends find time to watch TV. They all talk about American Idol and the other shows they watch, and I try to remember how many months (years?) it's been since I actually turned on the TV and chose a show. I occasionally get sucked in to one of DH's shows, if I'm working on the computer in the same room that he's watching, but when he's not here, I never think to turn it on. My kids are a different matter--seems I am ALWAYS saying, "Shut that thing off and GO OUTSIDE!"

That said, there is nothing in the world like curling up for a nap with your kids. They seem to not view it as punishment so much when you curl up with them, read a chapter or two of a book to them, and all fall asleep together! I just have to be sure to set an alarm!

Angie
greenhorngal
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5187311

Well, the gardening bug has definitely bitten me, and now I've got the "itch". I chose reading, because I do have chronic health issues, and it's usually easy to read a book or magazine, at least until you fall asleep and take a nap. I love good movies on DVD. I'm on the computer a lot and just joined Dave's Garden today. Maybe I will post some questions (since I am a greenhorn) and get my garden plans off to a good start. I am growing some herbs and tomatoes in self watering containers. Now I'm starting to think about a pond that I can manage and get balanced with native plants from the North Central Florida area. Zone 8b.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5187385

Booker, here it's not lack of wanting to zone out on TV but I choose not to watch my programs with young tots around because they don't need to be absorbing all that junk. And so I've not watched a movie in 2 years now and anything longer than a 30 minute program maybe once a week just doesn't happen. I'd rather be with the kids anyhow. :)
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5187494

I am always being hooked by books -- English, classical Chinese and now I am beginning to teach myself Deutsch . Each day I will travel two or more hours between pages.
There is an old Chinese saying which goes like this: 'In books, there is a houseful of gold; in books, there are beauties that are as beautiful as Jade.' ;)
Even Wife says to me 'there is a third between us, books'. Now I have developed a habit of reading a few pages lying on bed before shutting up my two eyes every night.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5187506

"Now I have developed a habit of reading a few pages lying on bed before shutting up my two eyes every night."

My spouse has the same habit :) I've tried to get them to switch to audible books, but remain unsuccessful.
http://www.audible.com/

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5188063

Picked other because so many of the other options are things I love after gardening. Reading, hiking/camping, building things, and cooking is my favorite. No TV for me except maybe a little in the winter. If the sun is out this time of year I am piddling in the yard/garden. I haven't turned the TV on in over two months except early in the morning to catch the news and weather. Oh and DG would be a close tie with the others!

Doug
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5188121

I have tried twice to listen to books on tape or CD while driving in my car. I don't have the greatest hearing in the world and I wear hearing aids, but even with the hearing aids on, I can't completely decipher what they are saying on the audio tapes. Maybe if I switch to non-fiction, it will be easier to understand, but I have given up on two novels. I will have tor read them, I guess.
ToOldToGarden
Dalzell, SC

July 1, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5188623

I chose other, because after 42 years marriage I have started scrap booking, so I am watching movies and scrap booking at the same time. Thank heavens their are no more kids at home, just grandkids.
ToOldToGarden
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5189424

Too bad we can only select one! I picked reading but also like to do all types of needle work and sewing (although not lately) as well as joining in on DG and other sites.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5189498

I had to pick "other" as well, because checking in to DG is definitely a favorite indoor recreation. (So many friends there.) I'm a reader and cooking is a hobby, but I have to admit that I spend more time surfing through Dave's Garden than I like to admit. TV is probably about last on the list. Housework is down there, too.
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5189520

What's housework?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 1, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5189550

Between being on Dave's Garden, and watching gardening shows... maybe I'm gardening ALL the time LOL
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5189577

After gardening, watering, weeding, if I have any energy left, I like to read about gardening and plant and seed catalogs, then there is Dave's Garden, email, and other facets of the internet. Never bored, most often tired. I hope that I will never be "too old to garden", but it could happen if I live long enough. I hope they have a community garden in the rest home. (Yikes! Did I say that?) I always try to learn more about plants, planting ideas for landscaping, cottage gardening, etc...

Evelyn

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5189584

other was mine, as when I'm not gardening then I'm usually brushing on one of my six collies or on the computer doing some newsletter or other graphic design or on DG where I've become addicted to this place...LOL

Janet
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5189625

LOL, mamasita!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5189726

Arts and Crafts. Of course that includes reading to learn how to do something new; 'cooking' when you have to mix up new developers, paints and stains, putties for the glass work; fertilizers and salad dressings. Crafts also includes altering 'home repair' from the mundane to the artistic and searching the wealth of knowledge and experiences on DG for new ideas to create, and spending time, lots of it, on the computer seeking a new direction to take your art . I guess one might call that "life". Naturally when I am not doing the aforementioned, I am also not watching sports,boating, fishing, shopping the Malls, or plotting to overthrow the local Fireworks stands. Whew, that keeps a body busy.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5189743

I can't believe Dave's Garden wasn't included in the choices. That is my second favorite pastime, hands down.
dobra1629
Houma, LA

July 1, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5189820

I have a 2 year old son that takes the rest of my time. I squeeze in a little time for the hubby.

dorothy
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5189885

Hey KyWoods, I hope you don't think I'm kidding!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5191072

LOL, mamasita!
Gail, my ex is Filipino, and is very smart. I was his first date when he was 23, because his parents made him spend all his time studying!
tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5191217

wow, its rough in ohio. my other pastime is sailing, and i can only do both between april and october:( other than that, i really do nothing, just a little outdoor photography, weather permiting. even though i hate winter, (mostly because i have SAD, or winter depression) i love the stark beauty of it. its also when i start planning out the next seasons gardens.(but thats been hard because we are moving) other than that, i spend the days in the dirt, which it fine by me:)
emillner
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #5191278

Do I cook because I garden or do I garden because I cook?
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #5191619

If I'm not gardening, I'm on Dave's or at a ballgame.
NWGordon
Snohomish, WA

July 2, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5191638

Been to nice out to come inside, but making myself do it more.So I m back on line talking gardening!
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2008
6:03 AM

Post #5191656

I blog.

http://www.brainshavings.com/
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2008
6:30 AM

Post #5191673

If I'm not building, I'm designing something for DH to be building! lolol!
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2008
7:40 AM

Post #5191707

being a mom to 5 and poultry, i'm a state liceansed poultry tech for the pa dep of ag.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2008
10:17 AM

Post #5191802

family, games, sports
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5192085

somebody say housework - are they nuts!!!!
Pollux
Farmington, NM

July 2, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5192117

I like to knit and crochet, can do that while I'm watching TV or reading - is that multi-tasking? Guess I got worn out raising 2 acres of vegetables, now we live in town with a small front- and backyard, both xeriscaped, some flower beds and I'm trying to keep my potted plants alive in this heat! And 4 tomato plants (down from 500), and 6 chiles instead of 800! And I spend hours each day on DG, even if I don't have much room to grow all the stuff I'd like.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 2, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5194608

WHAT?!?! Is there something to do besides gardening?!?! Who knew?There should have been a voting button for "more gardening" although I do sneak in a nap occasionally :-)
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5195593

I should have answered "Nap", except it really isn't an activity- so I guess it's my favorite inactivity. My gardening is so out of control that it seriously cuts into my napping time.
Housework? That must be work you do in the house. When it gets too dark, I bring in a bag of potting soil and pot up plants and seeds. If I drop dirt on the floor, it blends in nicely, so I don't worry about it.
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5195822

I cross stitch!
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5196035

I'm with you, Jax! I thought I was the only one who did this!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5196250

quilting
cooking
taking care of 5 dogs and my husband

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5196474

Jax, wanna be my best friend? All my friends are really OCD about totally clean, sanitary, uncluttered houses. They set foot in my house, and the first thing they see is the wall of houseplants, the row of gardening supplies, the flats of seedlings pining to be planted out, and the pile of empty pots. And that's just the porch! LOL
At times we eat in the living room because the kitchen table is too covered with a.) seeds, either in packets or drying on paper plates, b.) half-potted plants, or c.) piles of garden produce, ready to be canned!

Angie
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #5196618

Angie, I don't believe we are best friends, but twin sisters who were adopted by different families!!!
Friends? Well, mine wrote me off as a plant nut years ago- so did DH. My Mom always says "I don't want to hear anymore about your (insert negative, yet colorful, adjective here) plants!!!"
My deck is an elaborate plant stand. Try to get up my front steps w/o stepping on a coleus- impossible. I NEVER throw anything away that could possibly be used as a plant container... it goes on. Glad to know I'm not alone in the universe!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2008
9:40 AM

Post #5197158

I picked 'other' as I volunteer for several organizations .. BUT .. I am a 'DIGEROTI' (avid computer user) and, of course DG keeps me happy and informed :-)

~Marilynne~
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #5197317

LOL, I was thinking "Digeroti" meant one who loves to dig!

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #5197367

I picking hiking, but I do them all (execpt for napping) I don't have time!
Lots of great activities listed.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5197722

and why wasn't "Surfing Daves Garden" an answer!! LOL
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5198148

Re: the big thing you live in that some people clean 1) if you spread the dirt around on the floor with your foot it makes a luvly marbly look. 2) Also if you never dust everything just looks a luvly pewter colour (very trendy right now). 3) all flat surfaces in your home were designed for sorting and drying seeds and a little touch of soil here and there creates a natural ambience (much like the flour spreading thing you do when you make bread). Some helpful hints cuz I'm very good at rationalization :-)
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5198296

^ ^ ^ ^ Ha ha ha!
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5198776

I voted other! I spend time web surfing when nothing else is going on.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5199527

dahilianut I LUV the way you make my home seem very modern now that you put it in that perspective! LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5199564

LOL, I think dahlianut should write an article on that subject!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5199975

I luv writing garden humour but I don't know if many would be interested in my "Gardener's Guide to Housekeeping" LOL
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5200352

It would be a very short article ;0)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5200875

oh I beg to differ...dahlia nut please write about our pristine modern homes! LOL now that you mention it the living room does appear to be aglow with lovely pewter color...
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5201375

Housekeeping...housekeeping...I knew I'd heard that word somewhere. Glad someone defined it for me!

If I'm not out playing in the dirt, my nose is buried in a book. Either that or buried in a computer screen searching for obscure, ancient movies featuring opera singers or wannabes.
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5203151

Well, I know one thing... if one's nose is buried in dirt, books, TV, computers, etc., it's not looking at the sublime cleanliness of one's home! As I recall, mine is perfectly clean.
isom
Mission BC
Canada
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5203907

It's so hard to pick just one activity as how many people have only one favourite past-time when not gardening? I went with arts & crafts since making jewelry is very relaxing - almost therapeutic - for me. But to say I spend more time at it than other activities wouldn't be true.

I love to read & would feel seriously deprived if I couldn't. A nap in the afternoon, especially during winter, is also wonderful. Building things (not large sized projects though) is something else I enjoy. So is cooking exotic foods or baking, singing, listening to music (while doing nothing else so I can fully enjoy it), visiting friends, walking in out-of-the-way places...

The list could go on & on. And I'm sure most people could list many other things they enjoy doing too. It would be better if we could choose more than one activity!
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5203933

If I lived in BC, I would not nap in winter I would hibernate!
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5204314

I picked 'other' because I like to do all of the above, in this order:

1. Napping trumps all
2. entertainment: internet and movies
3. cooking, gotta eat, right?
4. art, crafts, like sewing, needlepoint, painting and drawing. Building things is included here, because when I'm building things, it's a creative outlet.
5. recreational: hiking, swimming, bike riding
6. reading comes daily in the bathroom and before bed

the only thing I don't do is tinker with mechanical things.
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5204420

Sudoku - totally addicted.
bgrumbin
Barstow, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5204761

I picked Other because photography has been my main avocation for more than 53 years now. Napping of course is absolutely essential at my age :) but it isn't a pastime, only a requisite. Watching the canned propaganda media such as the Vast Wasteland or the Vast Wasteland's "movie" affiliate has been banned from my home for five years now (and should have been banned eons before that). Not even any electricity to the idiot box. Not a kilowatt second. But what helped the idiot box out the door was the computer and Internet which supply better information on demand. Those I use both for work and for pastime. Building things is all for my land and gets classed as "gardening" even if what's being built is a structure to defend from the wind or the wabbits or other hazards to the actual garden. Some puttering with other things such as my zippy little car. But through all of those other activities (except napping), photography is right there with me helping me record and review what's going on.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5204882

Skaz421 - have you seen the 'horrific' sudoku here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-349054/Our-horrific-Sudoku.html

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 3:14 PM
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5204963

I can't play any horrific puzzles - I get a message saying the page is no longer valid.

I belong to an online game website that has Sudoku games consisting of 15 squares, as opposed to the usual 9. In addition to entering numbers 1 to 9, it also has letters A through F. I consider those to be fairly horrific.

Steve
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5204975

That's what these are but 0-9 and A-F.

Wonder why the link didn't work?
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5206094

Expired?
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5206492

It works for me. Weird.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #5206534

I can do lots of puzzles, but that one drives me mad!
I got a book about a year ago and did a few and looked up and 2 hours had gone by. I was shocked.
I spent 2 hours of precious life on a puzzle I wasn't even having fun doing. LOL.
I put it down and went outside in the 10 below and went for a walk.

My hats off to anyone that can do those things, but myself, I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else. :-)
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5206754

It takes practice - the more you do, the better you get at it.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5208567

We like to ride our motorcycle(s), when mine is running. We love to cruise and go to places where other bikers hang. Too hot lately though.
ihug98trees
Mount Pocono, PA

July 5, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5208866

Outdoor activities is #1, particularly birding. I'd rather be on a trail, in the fresh air, surrounded by wildflowers and birdsongs, than just about anywhere else. =)
Aunt_A

July 6, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5210314

Other:
Church, DG, Take Pictures, DG, internet, DG, Writing, DG, LOL
dahicks
Hickory, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5210366

Hi, I chose crafts,because there is so much neat stuff you can make for the garden.
Deb
jessaree
Anderson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5213539

I'm usually carting my daughter & her friends around to various 4-H functions, or thinking up something for them to do to keep them out of trouble!
GrammyJo
Granite City, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #5216235

I like doing several of those choices but also really enjoy working on the PC with my digital software. I make most of my own cards at the PC too, plus of course surfing the net is always fun (how I came across D'sG web site ;o). I love to fish (for bass with my hubby) but haven't at all this year (though HE has many times!). Once the cool weather's gone by it's terribly hot/humid here across from the Mississippi and I don't really enjoy spending the day out on his bass boat. Just adopted a new kitty (Rocky) from Hope Rescue's. I've had him for about 3 1/2 wks and he's the first here since my last one was put down about 14 or so years ago. Our other two were kittens when I got them but Rocky is probably between 8-11mos old already and pretty set in his ways. So he's 'learning the ropes' and we're getting to know each other. Always something going on at church and always PLENTY happening with my kids and THEIR little ones (4 total)! I guess for a Grandma of 60 I have a lot going on. No wonder that I'm usually WORN OUT! LOL
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #5225332

I have already replied once, but now that it is 90 degrees, after I water, I have been reading gardening books, magazines and seed and plant catalogs, and dreaming of fall planting, and of course, Dave's Garden. Yes I do other things as well, but that is when I am doing chores inside, and waiting for the laundry to finish is an excellent time to dream about those lovely gardens that are in the magazines, but mine never look so lush an full in our extreme climate. Hot summers and cold winters and poor soil! This year I have planted more and am working on cleaning out the beds, after a long convalescense from 4 surgeries (1 knee, 3 shoulder). So hopefully they will fill out more! We went for a short trip to a nearby lake on the way to Lake Tahoe for a picnic with granddaughter #3, who is almost 21!

Evelyn
trees4me
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5801803

I love to do crafting or
some type of needlework. I belong to several groups. But then, I may forget about the cooking or taking the dog out! =D
Any stitcher's here from online groups? = )
**Ignorance killed the cat, sir.
Curiosity was framed.
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant~
has never dealt w/a cat!! = D

=^.^=

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 2:38 PM
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5805728

Seeing my adult children and grandchildren #1 on my list. I am building the grandchildren a tree house and hope for it to be ready by Christmas. They are in years the following: 3,5, 7,9 and 12.

Keeping up with college sports...football, then basketball and baseball. Mainly I like to keep up with the big 12 conference.

This really has to do with plants, but my adult kids love for me to make them baskets for their house filled with plants and find them what they need for their homes. I just got 2 enormous hanging baskets of plain old marble ivy for two armoirs and found 2 fantastic bromeliads to sit on top with the ivy.

Never forget my involvement with the men's prison Kairos's group. I correspond with prisoners and visit them. It is fun to send them books and watch them take off. One who didn't have a GED was honored a year ago for being valedictorian in his class. NOw he is taking bible classes online. Anyway...that is so much fun.

Help feed street people through the Salvation Army once a month. It is a lot of preparation for both food and clothes to ride on the Salvation truck with the side open to hand out whatever they need...food, clothes or both.

Life is good! No complaints! (well not right this minute)

skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6057149

Walking and reading - I do a couple of hours of each every day. Lost 30 lbs. They're both a welcome break from TV.

Steve
wendyloo66
Stevensville, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 28, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6063368

Recently, I have taken up my pottery again. My pottery wheel has been collecting dust since 1987(date of the last pot I threw) Also starting on a quilt and searching for a class.

Addicted to DG website, have learned sooooo much here.Thanx Dave
nksps
Redwood City, CA

February 16, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6147056

Cooking and reading...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7222606

Reading about other people's gardens...especially the "Masters"...E.A.Bowles, V. Sackville-West, Gertrude Jeckyll, Christopher Lloyd, Jane Loudon...etc
greenhorngal
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7866979

Reading is my ultimate pastime. I also really enjoy our home and working with my DH (Robert) to learn woodworking, carpentry, basic plumbing, and basic electrical wiring and repair skills. It's fun for me and something I always wanted to learn!

I love our pets, too ... one Pembroke Welsh Corgi, three cats and two parakeets.

I can't forget to share how much I enjoy cooking, baking (not in the Summer, however) and reading recipes as well as collecting cook books.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7868103

Mainly reading, and especially reading about gardens and gardening...not necessarily "how to's" but essays by great garden writers. Also, I must admit, I spend too much time on these forums...LOL!
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7887773

Hello All,
I totally missed this one! Of couse, a 1250 sq' garden will do that...June is fever pitch for me here in Wisconsin and I almost have no time for any other activities but eating (husbands get crabby if not fed somewhat regularly), sleeping and planting. What spare moments are available are spent at work (LOL) or riding Tema.
Too funny on the 'pewter' color - I try to keep dust collecting surfaces to a minimum - my house is a jungle in winter as I figure what's covered by a plant can't get dusty, and since we were remodeling over the cold season, it really wasn't worth doing any serious housework until we stopped with the sanding and sawing and painting and...oh darn - is it time to go outside and play in the dirt? he he he...where's my trowel?
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

October 9, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8146433

FISHING!!! great for the compost pile. relatives say i'm the only one who ever made fishing feel like work. (they're commercial fisherman.)
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8327251

Checking the computer for gardening things, floweres, seed, etc. Inalso likd to crochet and sew. Don't care much about cooking, Hubby loves to cook.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8327260

Also houseplants. Now it is almost time to start indoor seeds.
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8341714

music:
http://www.cityband.org/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America