Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Devil in My Woods: Prickly Pear Cactus: Prickly Pear and the woods!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Devil in My Woods: Prickly Pear Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Devil in My Woods: Prickly Pear CactusReplies: 3, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BesEden
Bedford, PA

June 30, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5182119

I had a prickly pear when I lived in Md. I loved the yellow flowers but hated the little hairs that hurt but couldn't be seen. Got some in my garden gloves once and forgot about them until I used the gloves again...ouch! As for the woods! YES!! Love them! I live in the Allegheny Mountains of Pa. on 2 1/2 acres and about a half of that is wooded. The floor of the woods is covered with ferns. So pretty. I had two concerns about going in there. One was poison ivy but I killed that. The other was ticks. I've had two on me so far this year and my husband had one. Fortunately, they weren't deer ticks even though we're overrun with deer (and we have bears and other critters roaming around). It's very nice here and very cold in the winter but my neighbor has some prickly pear that makes it through the snow and ice of the winter just fine! She did ask me if I wanted some of it but upon remembering all the times I got those little hairs in my hands and fingers while in Md. I declined!
libellule
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5186767

Your place sounds so nice. I do love seeing ferns like you describe them. I bet it is beautiful.
I remember the tics being bad in TN like that.
Remembering the 'hairs' would be reason enough to decline the offer of a PP. :-)
BesEden
Bedford, PA

July 4, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5200929

I was tempted to take the PP because I love the flowers but I've been "bitten" by them too many painful times!!! Now, I just love them safely from a distance!! :O)
libellule
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5200977

I've got the one by my goldfish pond that I thought I had dug out but it came back up, so I just left it there. It has grown alot in two yrs and blooms like crazy. I really do like the blooms, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Devil in My Woods: Prickly Pear Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh. Thank you! gloria125 7 Jul 1, 2008 12:17 PM
Another Idea for Spines. eje812 5 Jul 1, 2008 12:20 PM
My Prickly Pear Jax4ever 3 Jun 28, 2008 4:52 PM
Prickly Pear Steve_K 1 Jul 1, 2008 12:30 PM
Aww oh yes I remember them well! patpenney 1 Jul 1, 2008 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America