Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Upper Midwest Gardening: ID help on evil weeds, and can something be done?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

June 30, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5182231

Hi -

I have NO idea what happened, or if it's just rain, but we have literally zillions of the same kind of thing sprouting everywhere. It is particularly bad in the new beds where we ripped out some lawn, but we also have a lot that showed up in our containers, all over the lawn, etc.. I've got it a bit under control, but only after having pulled a TON of them. They are even sprouting through the mulch, around and between the main stems of our 'real' plants like the impatiens. Does anyone know what this stuff is (the serrated leafy thing in the foreground)? I believe it grows into a larger plant with the same kind of leaf. Appreciate any help since I'd like to prevent it from happening in future! I don't remember it happening last year.

Thumbnail by scubadoobie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5182252

I live in the same general area as you, and I always get TONS of those. They are either cottonwood or elm seedlings, I think. They even sprout in my mulch. The only way I know to get rid of them safely is to pull them. Fortunately, when they are that small, it isn't hard to do.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5183197

I get those, too. They do look like tree seedlings to me. And yes, I yank them out. They're easy to pull root and all when they're small, so I just round 'em all up each week and that's that. They are persistent, though!
scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

June 30, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5184334

Thanks - I've been pulling baby cottonwoods as part of a dune restoration project and these are different, but they do look like elm seedlings I found on Google Images! aaargh.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5185741

Maple seedlings taking over here. It's a bumper crop of seedlings this year.
zonedenial
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5187675

Look like elm seedlings.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 1, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5189050

Yes, they are elms. I have 5 elms that seed all over the place. If I miss one of these, next year they are harder to pull out :(
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5190542

I'm with enya -- get them out the first year. Had a small, beautiful stand of American Elms that I loved. Except for the millions of seedlings every spring! They sprout everywhere - be sure to check your gutters too. By year two they have a substantial tap root. By year three - forget it :)
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

July 2, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5191045

yep-- you got the elm -- I have tons of maples popping up everywhere, like Ltilton.
It must be a good year for the trees! i agree---pull them while you can. :)
Meig
Far Northwest 'burbs, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5198913

I don't have elms anywhere but I have those seedlings. Do you have spirea anywhere? I think they are spirea seedlings, actually.
irisboerer
Milwaukee, WI

July 4, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5201893

They are elm seedlings. I have lost several elms to dutch elm disease and would recognize those saw tooth leaves anywhere. I have the same problem with maple seedlings here in Greenfield, WI. Just keep pulling them up, as previously stated, at least they are easy to pull, but time intensive. I work at a nursery so I have been pulling them out of our pots as well. They will germinate anywhere with the intense moisture we have had this spring into summer. If you want a weed to fight, try campanula rapunculoides. I have been fighting it for years.

Thumbnail by irisboerer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 7, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5217881

irisboerer, I am so with your on campanula rapunculoides. The first year I started gardening I thought it was lovely where I did not want to garden, but boy it spreads and is impossible to get rid of. I sifted the soil for root segments and still get some of it to come up in that spot :(
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5220680

They do look a lot like sprea seedlings, but they are elm.
irisboerer
Milwaukee, WI

September 22, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #5583615

I am still pulling up maple seedlings today. Hiding behind the iris fans I am cutting back. Better luck for us all for next year.
Iris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America