Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: How to know when to pick the radishes?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Russtex
Austin, TX

June 30, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5183198

Hi all...I planted a row of radishes about 6-7 weeks ago, and I noticed today that 2 of them are starting to come up from the ground. Are they ready to be picked or should I wait?
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5183212

I'm by no means a veggie garden expert, but I did pick my radishes when they were starting to come up out of the ground, just as you described. Some of them ended up being a bit small, but they do taste much better when they're smaller (less woody, not as hot).

I've also had luck with sticking the "unfinished" ones I happen to pull back in the ground. I just re-bury them and water them a bit and they keep right on growing. So if you pull up some tiny ones by mistake, just replant them and wait a bit.
Hastur
Houston, TX

June 30, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5184081

We used to wait until we saw the tops of the radishes come out of the ground, so we got some really big ones. Well, of the red ones, that is. Of course, we also used to like to let them get large and then eat them like candy, so that might have been a personal preference.

We also used to grow the Daikon radishes, and those got to be around 2-3 feet long before we harvested them. Very tasty, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America