-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5183523

Boy, thanks to seeds from Critterologist I'm gonna have a great bunch of sweet peppers this year.

In this picture, tomatoes in cages are in the left row, tomatillos then bush beans are in the second row, and the row on the right is all sweet peppers. The short plants in the middle of the pepper row are Carmen, which make smaller plants than the others, Bounty and Gypsy.

I've always had some trouble growing peppers in previous years, which I thought was caused by pepper mild mottle virus in the soil. No trouble this year - either these varieties are resistant or I was wrong and I don't have the virus. We've had over 50 inches of rain this season - I'm wondering if maybe peppers just do better with ridiculous amounts of water that I've never given them before.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5184385

Wow Oz, impressive row of peppers. When did you transplant them into the ground?
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5184499

I planted pepper, tomato, and tomatillo seeds under lights indoors on March 3. The peppers were transplanted into the garden May 2.

I followed Carolyn's seed-starting instructions on the tomato forum and got about 100% germination and didn't lose a single seedling.

The only thing I'd do different - tomatillos grow too fast, I should have waited 2 or 3 weeks later to start those seeds.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5185124

I had a lot of problems with pepper plants this year. I started mine about 3/5 using critter's instructions. Had both poor germination and then almost killed off the ones I got trying to get rid of aphids. I didn't plant them outside until 4/28. My tomatoes are going gangbusters (planted out 4/16-22) but the peppers are small. Some of the hot ones have set fruit and the sweet pickles are doing very well. No other sweet ones yet. I started 10 carmen seeds and only one germinated. It died. I want to try those again next year. I also want to try gypsy since so many people here like it. We are in drought here, with watering restrictions. I've only been watering once a week. It has rained a couple times this past week. Maybe I'll water them more often and see what happens...
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5194425

Ozark, way to go! I wonder about the water ideal.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America