Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Colocasia and Xanthosoma: growing from tubers

Communities > Forums > Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Colocasia and Xanthosoma
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Colocasia and XanthosomaReplies: 1, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
justdigin
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5183568

Just wondered if any others have had my experience: I bought very firm, fresh-looking taro root from my market thinking I'd sprout them and have beautiful plants at a cheap price. Even though they were kept warm and moist, they never sprouted but started to turn mushy in some places. After many days, I took them back out and they are now sitting on a plate to dry out. I have heard that many root vegetables in our stores are treated with sprout inhibitors to give them a longer shelf life. Is there anything I can do to make them sprout, or should I just shop for plants at a nursery? Thanks for any advice.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5183600

You may try going to a farmer's market where some growers may take their produce directly without going through a packinghouse. Also, when picking tubers, I'd pick the ones that look oldest, scouting for even the feeblest signs of sprouting. It's also possible to stimulate them with gibberellic acid (GA) but I haven't tried that so I can't recommend rates.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Colocasia and Xanthosoma Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Elephant ear article SuzanSkylark 3 Apr 7, 2010 6:26 AM
elephant manure beulahsland 2 Jul 8, 2008 1:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America