Japanese beetles

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

They showed up here today, started to work on my plum trees.

Madison, WI

I killed one on milkweed yesterday. I check on the grape leaves. Once they start eating hole through those - that's the end of dolma season for us :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I will have to go out and take a peek. Since i've been gone about a 12 days ... my flower bed needs trimming anyways... i did see that a 4-O'Clock is ready to bloom ... so if they are around, hopefully they will go to the 4-O'C and not my roses.

Tomah, WI

We found a few today. I hate those little destructive buggers. Had to break out the Sevin spray.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Have a few JP so far, many more iris borer in water iris etc. Don't know if it is the weather or bad luck on that.
Need to keep eye on JB-they really did a # on cherry bush last season, and it won't look good this year for the "Curb Appeal" of "Designed to Sell".. (maybe)

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

I've got them here. Found them yesterday on the ninebark, so I started checking and sure enough they were in the hydrangea and hollyhocks too. The tent caterpillars were so horrid this year, I thought maybe I'd get a reprieve from the JB.

Madison, WI

Saw tons on the grape vine next door - their absolute favorite around here. Went biking with my son yesterday and was amazed how many there are on some plants. They certainly pick and choose.

Far Northwest 'burbs, IL(Zone 4b)

They're here, too. I've been finding them on my roses and on some of my clems, the little bas&^%@$ :) Why are such pretty bugs so destructive?

My favorite thing is to take a bucket of hot soapy water and handpick them. It's an exercise in futility but I love it, mwahahaha!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

They're on the strawberries this year, don't recall they went for them before.

Nom nom nom! Eating my roses!

Thumbnail by Meig
Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Over the weekend, the Japanese Beetles seem to have increased ten times here in Central Illinois. Neighbors who were never bothered by the presence of the JB before are spraying small trees, putting out traps, etc. I saw my largest convention of JBs on my marigolds...which I thought nothing would eat.

I've thrown my hands up and am not wasting time tending to the JBs...too many. Am using Sevin, after each of the rains, on roses though.

Feel free to drive by and toss Guinea Hens into my yard. Then feel free to drive by and pick up your Guinea Hens in two weeks...assuming the JBs are 2008 history.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Feel free to drive by and toss Guinea Hens into my yard. Then feel free to drive by and pick up your Guinea Hens in two weeks...assuming the JBs are 2008 history.

ROFL!!

well, at home -- though i havent been there much -- i only saw one.

up here in the Dells ... they are eating the petunias ... we are mostly shaded, but out in the front flower box that i have been working on... they are in abundance.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I saw a couple of those on my daylilies . . . didn't realize what they were though. I in fact thought they were quite pretty. (Yes, I am a newbie.) Grr! Glad I am aware now though.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Is this Sevin you are talking about an insecticide? Is that the best way to get rid of them? I have very young children . . . how toxic is it?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm able to kill the JB's by using a soap and water in a spray bottle.

while i do have Seven in the garage... i honestly dont use it anymore.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

The soap kills on contact.

The 7 kills when the insect ingests the plant, when you're not around.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

GTK . . . I've already got a spray bottle of soap/water at the ready. Thanks!

Madison, WI

Tonight I will put a spray bottle out for my son to use during the day while I am at work :)

I need to know this: Any soap? How much soap?

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

They showed up here this week...hordes of them...They are gorging on my roses to the point that they can't move...then I snatch them up in a bucket and feed'em to my flock...doesn't stop'em but I FEEL better...and I'm saving on chicken feed, LOL

I bet the chickens LOVE it :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

enya -- how i do it is.... i take a qt sized spray bottle.... i fill it with water leaving about the top inch or so for soap.... i squirt in a cheap dish soap [generic soap about 0.99 a bottle] and i put in enough just to make slight suds when sprayed.

we [DH & I ] first heard about this when we had a HUGE boxelder problem at our old house ... around 1990-92 time frame. We would use everything under the sun to try and kill those bugs and nothing worked except soap and water.

tcs, I'm going to try the soap. I know it kills them when they hit the soapy water but I never thought of spraying them with it. I'd much rather use that than Sevin, which I do have but I save that for other nasties.

Have increased here, In the past years I have put traps across the road and into the soccer field. The city lets weeds and wild grapes grow----pulls them in like crazy.
I dispatched them by the gallons. I do not recommend doing this. It will bring them to your garden..I just happen to have an area far away. I used nematodes in the area..didn't notice anything except less $$ for flowers.
So far, just manually dispatching. Will try the soap for the ones I cannot reach.
Go chickens!!!!

Madison, WI

I am with Marcia on traps. Thanks for the note on nematodes though, I was thinking about doing it this fall :)

tcs1366, thank you for the instructions. I know it sounds silly, but I never know just how to do it. Soap is my weapon for the season.!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the idea...I'm going to use the soap after I deadhead. They are SO bad here. I went to a local water park with a friend and her kids last week and there were so many of the stupid things that we couldn't sit in a lounge chair for five minutes without being hit by one or two! A friend told me she knocked off a hundred or so and then stepped on them for her own form of "payback." She said she felt better afterward, LOL.

Dumb question...what are nematodes? I thought that JB's didn't have any natural predators...

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

The most common brand is Milky Spore

I'm about ready to prune my roses all the way back...the JBs are awful this year...can't pick'em off fast enough.... every new rosebud is a ball of black bugs. Ewwwww.

Hey Susie - I grew up in Springfield...Jefferson Park...Springfield High School...'course it was a thousand years ago, lol

Catherine

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Mine are all on my cherry and plum trees, trying to utterly defoliate them.

SusieR..I can SO understand your friends' satisfaction!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The JBs have been here for about 4 weeks already. They are eating evertything. My Elm tree is bare. My Henry clematis, budlias, bamboo, walnut trees apples greenbeans you name it. The nieghbor sprayed his and my yard twice and getting ready to again. The cropdusters are trying to save the corn. One town 8mile from here even cropdusted the whole town. I check my 250 hostas 6 times a day. I will be glad when they leave but the more that make it the more next year!!!! BEV

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I worry about all that spray killing the bees.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LTilton -- that is one reason i spray with the "soap". It's a 'contact' thing, and you have to keep up at it... but it kills them... I too do not want to kill off any "good" insects.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Little buggers are in my garden, too. I squished a couple today. And I've discovered little tiny grasshoppers chowing my salvia, too. There's nothing left of the leaves right now. I'm going to give the insecticidal soap a shot. I have so many bees, too, and I don't want to kill them.

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

I tried spraying with soapy water but that didn't make a dent on the jbs on my roses. So I've been using Sevin. I get so disgusted looking at the damaged roses and no satisfaction from seeing an 1 inch thick pile of jbs at the base of the plants. Usually the jbs congregate at the hollyhocks and mostly ignore everything else...that worked for me.

While dusting roses with Sevin this afternoon a thought occurred to me...there has to be something good about the jbs, I wonder what they taste like :)

will someone please be a taste tester and share their findings ??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just found ONE inside of one of my rose bloom... squirt squirt of the soap.... toast in about 20 seconds.

I guess mine are not as bad, as i'm really not finding many. [granted, i have not been home much to look for them]

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

For me the stupid grasshoppers are way worse than the Japanese beetles. I may have to resort to more extreme measures than soap, because I tried it and they just came back. They look like babies, so I can only assume they're hatching from...somewhere.

There are now HORDES of jbs here...the roses are done...my gardens sound like a helicopter landing zone....the tops of the trees in the orchard are brown from their damage.

turned the hens loose in the gardens today but the *censored* jbs are flying over their heads. I think I'm going to spray cooking oil on everything in the morning and then dust them with flour...they'll stick and hopefully suffocate...if not, they're gonna get deep fried....

onegoodman, I'll let you know how they taste *wink*

If you have that many , I don't know that you would increase the problem with putting up the hanging bags with phernome tags. I have 4 of them--haven't gotten them out yet,,JB just starting here. The folks in the know suggest skipping this unless you can set up 50 yard etc from your place, as they do attract...wouldn't seem to be issue.-they already have your place picked out- OUCH.
Anyway, I have the ones that the "jug" is accordian type yellow plastic. I just set them up (I use tomato cages instead of branches (I am short) and then just step back and let them fall in. When it is full, unhitch from the top that holds the scent and empty into plastic bag (that has no holes!!) and tuck in an empty, large coffee can and put plastic lid on, takes care of the problem very soon in the heat of the sun.
The directions talk about boiling water, but I have a problem with being klutzy and have bruises etc to prove it..which is why I came up with the closed can that sits on the blacktop drive-way. Gross, but necessary unless you can come up with a Really good recipe!!!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I saw a bunch yesterday. Put some water and soap in a bucket, picked them off the plants and threw them in the bucket. Had to poke at a couple of the stronger ones trying to get out until they drowned.

I used a jerry jug yesterday filled with a very concentrated dishwashing liquid (Dawn) and water mixture and sprayed the crap out of them. It really did kill quite a few of them. It has to be a very soapy mixture though. They were plopping off and hitting the ground, quite dead. Thanks for this tip.

There are several trees on my block (all young lindens, I think) that are completely brown and skeletal from these bastards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.