JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #5186586

I just awlfully so busy last month..

July 1 to 4 will have big noise fireworks!

I have alot of seeds coming up on Hollyhocks...

I got small eggplant and it grow good in earthbox that I don't have to water everydays...It has bottom of pot to fill up the water and it good growing I has tomatoes, onamental peppers, kale get bigger and squashes also watermelon, corn and melon.

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5187625

Eggplant:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5187632

Hollyhock blooms:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5187664

Hollyhock bloom light yellow:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5187669

Hollyhock bloom light-med. pink:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5187694

Daylilies:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5188442

Well I have just gotten off of flood duty. My gardens are a mess with weeds. Here are a couple of picts though. The first one is of my rose bush The Fairy. I bought it this year from Antique Rose Emporium,

Thumbnail by allanme79

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5188472

Here is my back yard flower bed. I have a sunburst honey locust, some lupines (they are pretty short still) coneflowers, daylies, and some various annuals. I still have a lot of weeding to do there also. I jsut hope I can remember what is weeds!

Thumbnail by allanme79

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5188512

Here is my Zéphirine Drouhin first year planted. I bought it from Park Seed.

Thumbnail by allanme79

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5188562

I am going to remove the AC box, and towards the right behind the dwarf sunflowers I have coneflowers, some day lilies and clematis. I have lupines behind the barrels but I don't think they are going to get enough light. Them seem a little bit short. I started them from seed so maybe they need another year of growth before they can flower. I have am thinking of putting hostas around the bird bath. I think that will be easier than weeding around the flowers. Do you think I can put a water lily in the bird bath it is pretty deep?

Thumbnail by allanme79

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5188690

Hi Rusty and alanme79, Keep em coming, pretty pics! Allanme, just follow the bloom stems down, don't pull that. It doesn't look bad, nothing an hour or so sweating couldn't help... bet you remember what a weed is when your done. lol I just got the Fall leaves off my hosta a couple weeks ago, EVERYTHING is late this year, including me. Bless you for doing flood duty.. poor people and crops. Rusty, did you plant the hollyhocks this spring? I was chatting with Leaflady about them yesterday. I think they would make a nice planting at the back of my yard next to the chainlink... may provide some privacy as well. She said she had plenty of seed if I want her to send me some... EvaMae, hold off, I'm really wanting to come to the Fall RU, unless I need to plant them now or you want them out of your way, I can send some postage. Rusty, how are your brugs doing? Here's one Happgarden gave me this spring, now it has buds, the blooms will be white and big, I'm so excited!! You have a nice vege garden, too! I did a tomato plant, green beans and just planted some peppers I germinated earlier. Tomatoes are producing and the beans aren't far behind...Star, so nice to have a wonderful friend to help out like that. So, you're down to the baseboards and switch plates? Hanging art on the walls?? Sounds like it's time for some R&R, BEFORE midnight. You must be so proud, how exciting! Hi to everyone, Pepper, you ornry little flower, hope you and yours are having a great summer. I think of you all often. Rusty thanks for always getting the new month thread going.

Thumbnail by AuntB

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5188815

You are going to have your place all spruced up, Alanme79! I don't think the bird bath is deep enough for a lily, but I'm no water plant expert. I've got one the deepest I've ever had one and it is blooming, I've never gotten blooms on one for 3 years! This year, it slid off the pot I had it elevated on, and I left it.. then the blooming started! So I'm leaving it there in the bottom.. I fashioned a pond from an old oblong livestock if that helps determine the depth it's at. You could place a small pot of Xanthosoma Lime Zinger in it... It grows upright with arrowhead shaped leaves. It's bright green like the ornamental sweet potato vine. It grows in sun or shade...(and I just happen to have a couple extras I could send) I see some sun there in the bed, might get sun tolerant hosta, our resident hosta expert would be Oz. He's prolly out fishin... or trackin armadillo. ;) I've got to do some work stuff (I AM at work, lol) I'll try to find a pic of the lime zinger and post before I leave today. -B
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #5188931

Here it is, Lime Zinger. It's the little half barrel pot on the left. They grow in soil or water, shade or sun... (better with more sun than shade).. I set the pot in my basement in winter and water moderately, they die back, but come spring and they're outside, they start producing leaves like gang busters. The ones in my pond, I pot up with soil in fall and treat just like the one's already potted. Easy!

Thumbnail by AuntB

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5189053

I think that would like nice in the bird bath. How much you think shipping would be? I have never gotten a plant from a daves garden person before.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5189756

QUOTED:

Rusty, did you plant the hollyhocks this spring?

I didn't plant hollyhock seeds at all that I brought house in 2005 and I didn't notice any of this hollyhock plant here and it was here when peoples was living that time...

QUOTED:

Rusty, how are your brugs doing?

Well, I has brugs inside last year after first frost hit and it stayed inside by the french door and somehow bugs got in the brug's stem and they breed in the stem so it dead already on First New Year... Begonia still growing new and healthy now...

On Front yard as remember the gardening was neat and clean no weeds so here it yucca growing coming back again weeds, too! So, I gonna to rid of weeds then put the black paperlike (cheesecloth) sheet on ground and put some soil on top... I have 3 roses growing and got weeds around it...

QUOTED:

Rusty thanks for always getting the new month thread going.

I do that every month for new forum...

I has been watch the baby hawk flies around with parent is around and baby crying for foods!

I made a click noise tongue and see the hawk's head turn and heard click noise tongue and sure it has a sharp ear to listen!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2008 5:00 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5190114

I am hoping to start planning for the Fall RU soon. Am thinking September, maybe early October at the latest to have it. Nice and cool then and not hot. Anyone wants to help with the planning shoot me a d-mail and we can get started. :~)

I will be working on Sat at PG. It is Booms and Blooms weekend and Sat is the fireworks and daylily show. I plan on getting some daylilies. Want a bright red and some other eye popping colors.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5190380

I got another one bloom daylilies color so beautiful:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5190447

Blooming today and so fragrant... a successful first attempt in growing lilies...

Thumbnail by garden6

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5193049

Thank you, Rusty. They've really caught my eye this year. I'm loving the lily pics and the hawk one, too! Allanme, let me be the first, of many. I can send smaller bulbs with fewer leaves, less weight, and they'll grow pretty fast. I sent out an over 2 lb package last week, 2 day priority for $6.75... the zinger wouldn't weight that much... I'll check their weight when I'm home, I'm getting some pkgs together for next Monday's mail so I'll get one ready for you, too. I can probably send 1st class over there to you in MO and it would be cheaper.. I think the zinger will be fine for 3 or 4 days in the box..if it takes that long. Busy weekend, so if I don't talk to ya, I'll d-mail Monday when I know I've got them on their way.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5194314

Thanks AuntB let me know what I owe ya and I will return it in another envelope.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5195246

Some bad storms in the area. Hearing reports of golf ball sized hail.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5195551

I having T-storm on way tonight for sure until July 4!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5200599

My area got hit pretty hard. My next door neighbor has a tree on top of their trailer, another neighbor up the road has a tree that got hit by lightning also. We have lots of limbs down and all of the gravel roads around here are a mess. Neighbor's on a neighboring road also have tree damage.

We didn't get hit too hard at work that I know of. But there was enough rain to mess up our roads there and to have flash flooding in places.

I also had to right my tomatoes cause the wind pulled the cages out and they were all leaning into each other and all tangled up. A big mess around here. No power was lost though the lights did flicker alot during the storm.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5200713

It has raining this early morning then sunny up to 95* then coming again later on storm & windy.

I has been watch on baby hawk and Rusty chase off too close!

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5201612

Pepper, so sorry. I hope things have settled. Rusty is protecting, that is such a peaceful thought to watch a baby hawk. Nice!
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5203637

Pepper I heard all about your area yeasterday when my neighbor came down from Oak Grove. His sons house had part of the roof blown off. I wonder if you heard about the guy that got tangled up in a air hose while roofing and fell. That was at his sons house. He broke his neck and is parallized from the neck down.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5203976

Oh Oz, that is awful, it was your neighbors son that fell, just terrible.. That would be a very hard road to travel... Hey, I've had such fun reading about the coral bells, I haven't done anything different with mine, yet, still in the ground.. too much to do. But I do have a couple still in nursery pots so I'm definately potting them up. Allanme79, I'm d-mailing you on the zingers and Everyone have a happy safe 4th of July! -Bonnie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5205563

Oz, never heard about that. Will have to ask my brother if he did since he lives there. Sorry to hear about him being paralyzed.

As for the storm, I haven't traveled to the eastern area of my neighborhood but one neighbor on the other road has lost some trees. My dad says it literally looks like a small tornado hit. He said some of the trees are completely stripped of limbs and leaves and that it all landed across the street in our friend's yard. And our friend has some major roof damage that wasn't noticeable til my dad climbed up there to check it out. It's pretty bad over there.

We have lots of limbs down. I had to clean up the yard so we could mow and we had limbs down where we never have them. Luckily not too many big ones, just lots and lots of medium and smaller ones. I know it could have been alot worse though. That was one whopper of a storm.

Hope everyone has a great and safe night!! I will be holed up here in the house tonight. Gotta protect it from stray fireworks. And big ones are going off already. Someone just shot off and M-80.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5205643

M80's here too at my neighbors house. Happy 4th!

Thumbnail by lavender4ever

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5206518

Lavender4ever,
You got the sago palm I notice it and it more got healthy plant over there...

I used has one with funny leaves like antler (I was living in Calif)...

Rusty poor thing he is very nerves of noise and I gave him with calm down pill... After that I gave him 2 of rib bones to make him chew bones and it work but still act panic little bit...

Here what I found of Rusty's tail cut off at 6 months old...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5207381

Rusty is so cute! My rosie has no fear of fireworks at all thank goodness. Especially since the neighbors house sounds like a war zone.
My sago I won at a raffle. It had just three fronds and was very tiny.

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5209234

Rusty, why in the world did they wait until he was 6 months old or was it an accident? GS don't usually have docked tails that I know of. When I bred dogs whose tails had to be docked we did it within 48 hours of birth. I asked a vet once about the pain and he said it was like cutting off a newborn baby's finger. I stopped docking immedately no matter what breed the dogs were. Lost some sales & stopped breeding those breeds too.

I love hollyhocks as all who were here for an RU saw. But they still are weeds here. I guess we just have the special soil needed for them in this area. I saw a bummble bee in a bloom a while ago so I assume we will continue to have a conglumeration of colors again next year.

Rusty, I too appreciate you starting the new thread each month.

I weeded a good size gound level flower bed yesterday evening. Found some mums I knew were in there are ok in spite of being smothered by weeds and grasses. One mum has only one stalk as does a nearby lemon balm. I'll lay down newspapers and carboard down and put the pulled weeds and grasses on them soon. Just too tired today.

Holly moved my big double purple Rose of Sharon with the skidloader the other day and used the dirt she removed from the hole to fill in the hole the ROS came out of. I watered it in well and it doesn't seem to know it has been moved. I'll use boxes of heavy cardboard and woodchips she bought to the site for me to help control weeds in that bed. She brought me several loads to 2 different spots. It will take a while to get all that spread over newspaper and cardboard. Some may not have anything put under them so I can plant in the chips.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5209619

QUOTED:

Rusty, why in the world did they wait until he was 6 months old or was it an accident?

He biting his tail's tip about 1-1/2 inches off and I has to take him to Vet and have his tail cut off and he also have a brain damages which is was in his mom's womb and someone kick her stomach then he born that time until I got him was 8 wks old and got fixed then at 6 month old he act stranger different that he chase around circle to pull his hind's leg hair out! That's why he got and still keep doing after his supper done he go crazy...
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5211308

That poor dog. My heart goes out to both of you. It is terrible to watch someone you love suffer and know there is little you can do to help them.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 6, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5212013

dave and i are doing fine
no dange here from storm
we got beet to can
went and got everything to do it
i hope every one a happy weekend
elle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5212425

We had a successful night last night for Blooms and Blooms. Last I heard we had around 4000 people there.

We had a daylily tent there also so I went and bought me 3 new dayliles.

Sunday Gloves: It is a white with big blooms. http://www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/20975/

Fire Escape: A big blood red. http://www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/29314/

I also got one called Merry Monarch but I can't find pics of it anywhere but at the tent the pic on the box made it look like a bright fuschia color.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5212822

Amanda, I thought about you and the event yesterday... that's as far as I got. I was too tired to do more than water and fix a bite to eat, and laundry... It was so nice a cool/cloudy yesterday, here anyway. Those are some gorgeous lilies you picked out. Do you have Casablanca? It's a scented white...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5213189

No, but since you mentioned it I want it!! LOL. I love lilies with scent.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2008
10:52 AM

Post #5216467

Aunt B--- It was not his son it was a roofer on the job at his house.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5224021

Thanks Oz. Poor guy. Pepper, I don't know why I don't just get one. I heard about them 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm told they will scent your whole yard up. I've meant to d-mail you about the fall round-up, I'm SO hoping nothing interfers with me making it.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5224165

I have several lillies, my most scented one is Triumphator. These are only in their second season, so they aren't monster sized yet. But one is almost as tall as the hollyhocks I planted them with.

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5225225

Rusty - What is the name of your daylily that is posted above. I have several of these and would love to trade some. I also have lots of the double orange, is that the 'ditch lily'?
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5225602

Well Lavender, that just does it! Those are gorgeous! I've been admiring Rusty and Garden6's lilie pics, then Pepper and I discussed the Casablanca...I need to get some dirt hauled in and make some raised beds... (amend a little at a time like Dylan did) The only sunny spots I have left is rock and clay. I HAVE to get some lilies. I don't think the ditch lily is double, Dylan. I have some ditch lilies at the end of my driveway, they are single and the plain janes of the lily family, right? (I still think they are pretty) The ditch across from me is filled with them. I can get someone to dig some and bring to the Fall RU, if somebody wants some. They "naturalize" very well.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5225610

Yellow dayliliies got from Iowa RU last year (I have 3 in pots.)
Red with yellow stripes "Autumn Red"

Another one is just bloom today "Catherine Woodfury" (light pink with yellow in middle)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5226557

I have come up with some dates for the RU. And it will be held at my grandma's again.

We were looking at September 27th, October 4th or 11th. The date that is most popular will be when we hold it. All of those dates are on a Saturday also.

AuntB, I have an oriental lily that I bought in May at work that is called Mona Lisa and a small yellow oriental type from walmart. When they were blooming last month they smelled soooooo good!! Even my dad kept walking over there to smell them. lol. I plan on getting more orientals or trumpets to add to the bed. And a couple more daylilies to my daylily bed.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5226773

Oh, Autumn Red sounds beautiful, I really like the Catherine, too. I think I've seen the Mona Lisa in catalogs. I like the orientals too! I tried Miss Lucy last year, $15 for 1. I didn't even get 6 in. My grandma's name is Lucy and I wanted it to plant in her memory. The 27th is DD's bday, and she lives in KC, so I could see her and maybe crash at her place, too! So, I pick the 27th. Do you want to start a separate thread? Might help to keep track of everyones choice. And how nice of your Grandma to offer her place again. I look forward to meeting her.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5226854

Go here to plug in your choice of RU dates. http://www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/874514/
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5238281

For those of you who like to grow veggies, this is a great tasting cucumber to grow. One of our gardeners at work grows it and brought some in today. They are goooood!!!

It is the Poona Kheera variety. http://www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72557/
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5238352

I bought a Mona Lisa at the PG sale too. It had about 5 or 6 huge fragrant blooms. They lasted for nearly 2 weeks. Now the bulbs are in the ground in an aqua baskets with a metal 'fridge shelf over it. An aqua basket of the border tulips is right next to it under the same shelf to protect those of them from underground tunneling vermin as well as top bulb theives like squirrels or cats who will mess on the soil and kill the bulbs with too much acid.

It is lovely in the early morning and evening hours. I like to work outside when I come home from work and mornings on my day off if I'm not to tired. There is just so much to keep up with. I got one bed in shape this week. I'll not get too much done next week tho as I have to go to doc. appointments in Columbia Tues. It will be an all day thing as I'm going with someone else to save on fuel. I need to get outside yet today and do some little job.

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5239085

These lilies must not be 'ditch lilies' then because they are double. They're ok but a few go a long way. Does anyone know the name of the daylily of Rustys. I am trying to find out the names of my lilies.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5239088

That is one strange looking cuke. Not so strange as the lemon though I guess.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5239106

The orange double is probably kwanso ... don't know about the red one though.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5240654

Nice looking dogs. Rusty, I never understand some of the things that people do to animals. Make no sense to me. Sounds like he has a good home now.

The day lilies, butterfly bush, and blackberry lilies are in bloom now. We're starting to see more butterflies in the yard. Although not as much as last year. Maybe because it's been so wet here.

Thumbnail by SusanKC

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5240667

Here's another one.

Thumbnail by SusanKC

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5240872

Hey I am looking for a super fragrant, and hardy, medium/small sized bush to put next to my deck. It will get full sun. Do you guys have any suggestions? I am not really interested in roses I have a couple of them already.
Thanks
josette63
Savannah, MO

July 11, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5241835

Hey allanme79
I am in NW Missouri. I have a suggestion for a shrub.
Froebel Spirea Spiraea x bumalda 'Froebelii' is a nice one.
It has been with us through 13 NW Mo winters. It is a sweet shrub which
blooms a delicate pink to deep blush in the spring. The leaves are verdant
green. In the fall it changes to rich golds and burgandy. Very nice shrub which reaches
3' tall and 3'-4' wide. I have enjoyed mine very much.
Good luck in your search
josette

Thumbnail by josette63

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5243867

Well, here's the hosta's blooming over a week so it still going blooming...

'Grand Tiara'

Thumbnail by JuJu55

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5243980

Nice looking hosta. Do you winter these in the pots outside?

BTW - What's your favorite hosta?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5244067

No, I just put a month ago... Other was in ground last time and it still alive but I try test on pots this winter..

Any hostas which it bloomings...

Rusty was having his new toy is plastic juice bottle as he was playing since pup... So, make him happy to playing his toy...Help him to lose some weight...

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5244252

mock orange or summer sweet, there are many types and alot of compact ones.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5246244

Allanme, you can't get more fragrant than a viburnum carlesi!
It is a medium sized shrub that would handle full sun.
The only problem with many fragrant blooming plants is their short blooming time.
V. carlesi blooms in fairly early spring.
For all summer fragrant blooms, there's a new dwarf southern magnolia called 'teddy bear' or 'southern charm'.
I don't have one, but I've read about them.
I have a couple regular southern magnolias and the fragrance is outstanding.
They have fragrant blooms all summer.
Good luck.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5246634

I think I would prefer a late spring to summer bloomer. I am not a fan of sitting out in the cool weather. Are magnolias are they pretty hardy?
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5246705

Absolutely.
Thank god for global warming.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5247018

Wee, really hardy for Allan and me, being in zone 5? I had a mag tree, Mary Jane (Lowe's neglected it so I got a deal), I pampered it back to growing and left it in the nursery pot over winter, (outside) and it didn't come back the next spring.. prolly should have got it in the ground. Here's a Black Elderberry blooming (from a couple weeks ago, still haven't got it planted) but, I think it needs some shade..

Thumbnail by AuntB

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5247727

The Mags would have been hardy for you AuntB if you had put it in the ground and mulched it. That's what they have done at work and we have many varieties of Mags. And we are a zone 5.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5248359

I have a thriving 20ft tall southern magnolia (Bracken's Brown Beauty) which has really never suffered any winter injury,
other than limb breakage from snow. It's probably 15yrs old or so. It's bushy and full. Foliage is beautiful.
Flowers like crazy, all summer long. You can smell it throughout the yard.
When I planted it, I was in zone 5b also, but I'm pretty sure we're now 6a.
I planted a 'Little Gem' also, but it's in too much shade and looks pretty scraggly.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5252095

Well I think I really need something shorter like 5ft max. When I build my next house in a couple of years then I will do some serious tree planing.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5262151

Here is a hard hibiscus that I had bloom. I tried to start some of these plants from seed but it didn't work out. So I bought one. I just wish they were taller and the blooms lasted longer than a day.

Thumbnail by allanme79

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5263749

Allan, I have a very tall one @ just under five feet. Not sure what color though, it is getting ready to bloom for the first time this year. I also have pink clouds, nice and compact.

mexican shellflower blooming.

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5264185

Lavender What do you do with your Mexican shell flowers in the fall? Do you dig them up or mulch them heavy?

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5264792

I have them in a big pot. Not sure what I am going to do with them. First year for me. I would love to just overwinter without unpotting but I think I will dig them up and store them for the winter in a cool spot. The were cheap enough if I have to try again, I will keep trying until I get the storage thing right for them lol.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5265244

Allen, hardy hibiscus blooms should last much longer than one day. I wonder if you didn't accidentally get a tropical one. The color looks tropical too. I've worked with a lot of them at Powell Gardens so I kind of recognize one if the color is off for a hardy. Another way to tell is to make a cup of tea by putting a bloom in a cup/mug of boiling water. If you get a sweet tea it is a tropical one. They use those blooms in many herbal teas as the natural sweetener. Where did you buy it? WM, Lowes, etc.? They often get tropical and sell it as hardy. The clerks don't know most of the time unless they have nursery experience and even then it can be hard to tell so if it is labeled wrong most will never know.

I have lots of huge blackberries waiting for me to get out there and pick them. It is almost 7, my pain meds should kick in any time now and the temps usually take a downturn about this time so I'm going berry picking in a bit. I'm harvesting a few of the rhubarb stalks from the large older plants too and freezing them. I made a blackberry/rhubarb muffin the other day and it was so good. I ate some with frozen yogurt while it was still hot. Yummy.

All of you have so many beautiful flowers you are showing us. I need to learn how to use my digital camera to do that again. I have instructions from someone somewhere that I need to dig out. First I need to take it to WM and have the pictures on it made into a CD and the best ones made into prints. Please pray for the safety of my camera. I left it somewhere(way out of anyone's sight)yesterday and need to retreive it tomorrow for sure. Just an oversight when I left somewhere.

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5266198

Well I bought it at a nursery in STL. It was a huge place I can't think of the name but it was in the bench with the lupines. I hope it is hardy if not I will have to try again next year.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5266667

allen I believe you have Luna Red Hibiscus. You can do a search online to find pics and more info. It's flowers do last one day and it is hardy. Here is a quote from mobot gardening.
Luna Red’ is a vigorous, sturdy, rounded, somewhat shrubby, woody-based hibiscus (or rose mallow) cultivar. It is a seed variety that is more compact than the species, typically growing to only 2-3’ tall. It features dinner plate-sized, five-petaled, hollyhock-like flowers (7-8” diameter). Flowers are deep burgundy red. Each flower has a prominent and showy creamy white to pale yellow central staminal column. Individual flowers last only one day, but one or more flowers usually open each day, in succession, over a long mid-summer to early fall bloom period. Flowers are among the largest produced by any perennial that is winter hardy to the St. Louis area.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5268029

Allme---- It may have been wine country Gardens you bought it at. That is about the largest Nursery in St louis that carries a variety of flowers lillies and you name it.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5268227

Well It does have 5 petals and only one blooms at a time so I guess that is what it is. WOW thanks so much for your help. I will log that info in my journal. Ya I can't remember what the name of the nursery was. It was south on 55 on the east side. It was off of something like liberty or independence. I don't recall I will have to call my mom later today and see if she can recall. I got a really, well I thought it was a really good deal on some plants at Home Depot. 2.50 quarts of daylilies and sedum. I know they are easy to divide and stuff but I don't have anyone close to getting divisions from so I thought I better get some because I needed that variety. Oh and speaking of daylilies there is going to be a huge sale here in Columbia on the 23 of Aug. I went to a daylily show/competition and they were advertising it. I was amazed at how big some of those flowers get and the different colors they can produce. I am thinking of joining their club so I can learn how to hybridize for a hobby.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5271061

wow wish I was closer.. Did anyone get that huge storm last night? Man that was alottt of rain and wind. We got close to three inches here just last night.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5271431

That storm stayed north of here. So just people around you got hit. I would have loved to have it though so I don't have to figure out how to water my plants. The connecting hose for the faucet and reel went bad and now we have to see if we can find another one.

Got my truck back today from the transmisson place. Got it in just in time cause if I went much longer they would have had to replace the tranny. So I am veeerrry happy now!! :~)

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5271455

yay, glad your truck didn't cost you an arm and a leg! That is terrible trying to figure out how to water. With all my potted plants and the heat I would be sunk!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5271466

Right now it's not bad cause we are still good on moisture. But it's getting close.

That reminds me. I have what looks like black catipillars eating my coneflowers. Lots and lots of them. What are they and are they good or bad. They are only an inch or so long.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5271586

take a pic and post it so we can id them
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #5272444

I will try to do that tonite. Have to get the camera back from my dad.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #5272716

Pepper~ I believe I have the same varmint, uhmm caterpillars eating my heliopsis down to the ground. They have a voracious appetite and are everywhere, near the front porch and steps..The girly pumpkins stepped on a few and their green bug juice squirted out as they screamed as if being chased by giant wolves! I need new batteries for the camera or I would post a pic. A neighbor says they're moths..so I been handpicking and drowning them in warm soapy water.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5272770

Allme--- It was not Wine Country Gardens. they are out in Defiance Mo on 94. I was thinking you might have been there because of coming from Columbia. We jump off 54 at Jeff city a couple times a year coming from the lake and go up 94 and stop there.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5273017

Any catapillar that eats foliage off my plants is going to ge sprayed or duxted and killed. They almost sound like tent web worms(?) but I've never seen them on ground plants. Only in trees. A bag of them will strip a tree of foliage in no time.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5273575

Well everyone I have good news. Some of you may remember that I took my class out last year and did a garden with them. Well this year I get to be the garden club sponsor. I am really excited. I haven't figured out what all we are going to do yet. We have several planters that need work. I plan on sowing some winter veggies and dividing some hostas that the school has already. If you know of any neat projects be sure and let me know.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5273620

Congratulations!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5276216

My black cat is a Silvery Checkerspot: charidryas nycteis. Alan has them eating his coneflowers too so that's how he knows what they are.

Congrats on being the sponser this year!!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5276461

Woodchuckes are the varmits that eat a lot of things in our yard. I have finally have resorted to a organic nontoxic spray that stinks to keep them off of the coneflowers, malva, salvia, and anything else they have taken a liking to this year. The problem is when I use it I can not stand to be in the yard afterwards.

Has anyone used any sprays called Messina Wildlife's Woodchuck Stopper or Rabbit Stopper? I saw a review on the deer version and it's suppose to last a month and smell minty.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5278673

I have seen the products but not tried them, but minty beats stinky any day lol!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5298736

I am currently sitting here with no water in the house. :~( Some one in the area was digging and not only hit a water line but tore it up pretty bad. Going on 3 hrs since I have been home. I have plants that are begging for water. lol.

Went to Warrensburg after work today and got to see the 3rd tallest horse in the world. His name is Shrek and he is 19 hands tall or 6ft 4 1/2 inches where the neck and back meet. He is biiiiig. Here is his pic. I took this pic at eye level to me. I just skim 5'4.

Thumbnail by pepper23

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5298827

that is an awesome animal. Sorry about your water situation. I know how that is. 4th july they hit a water main here in town when they were getting ready for the mud drags, we were out of water for 24 hours. I kind of expect it here in podunk. I always keep my watering cans and several jugs filled just in case and have been known to use my pond water for flushing! lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5299162

Water is finally back on!! I went outside and watered my potted plants so they wouldn't die out on me.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5299605

There are times I am very grateful I am not on a public water system. I have a deep well for the house and a 11/2 hp pump on the boat dock for watering the plants and lawn. It still is not free. I wear the pump on the dock out about every 3-4 yrs and the last one cost $500. But I can use tons of water for my plants.

Pepper--- I have been noticing something. In many nurseries and box stores when you see plants for sale in those 6 inch are whatever size pots,I have noticed there is a awful lot of pine mulch in the poting mix. Because of that I have been potting up plants the last couple months using pine bark mulch at about 1/3 rate. I believe they hold water better yet drain well and it is a lot cheaper.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5300639

I haven't seen that yet but will keep an eye out.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5302259

Oz, when I did some landscaping a few years ago, I planted rhododendrons in a front bed on the north. They sent me home with pine bark mulch to amend the area with for increacing the acidity in the soil. Not sure if 1/3 ratio would have an impact on the acid level or not. I know I used a lot right where I planted the rhodies. I like cotton bol mulch, seems aged and broken down ready for the plants to consume. Amanda, I love that horse picture. Reminds me of one of my Grandpa's work horses so many years ago. Allan Congrats on your new position as Garden Club Sponser! Louise, no rain directly south of you last night. Looks like it might later today, we could use a nice cleaning shower after all this heat. I showered my brugs a couple nights ago and I could almost hear their cooling sighs of relief!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 22, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5303054

here is a puppy in a basket
made of silk flower
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5303389

Do you know his breed, Pepper? He reminds me of daddy's work horses too. But I don't know if any of them were that tall. My TW, Caleb, was 16 1 1/2 hands.That is about 2 1/2 hands or 6" shorter than the horse pictured. Stirrups hit me midchest on Caleb so I would hate to think where they would be on this big boy/girl. lol. I am a 5' 3" last I knew.

Elle, wonderful handiwork. I would have to put it in a doll case so it wouldn't collect dust as much. But I do love things like that.

We got about 1/2" rain this morning. Then sunny all afternoon but not hot. Lovely day for working outside if I could have done that. But company is coming so I have house cleaning to get done. And I worked outside yesterday for several hours after I got home from work with no mask on. This morning my lungs were so congested I could hardly breathe. After using the inhaler and lots of coughing that brought up some junk I am much better but not enough to risk going back outside. Oh, well, the house needs the cleaning anyway. I did open a window in the living room and one in the bedroom and left the front door open. The top of the combination door is screen at this time so it is letting in fresh air too. I like to turn off the AC and air out the house whenever I can. I haven't been able to do that much lately.

Pepper, I'm glad you have water back. This is why I always keep some drinking water for myself & the critters on hand. We do have our own well, etc but if the electricity goes off we are without water until it comes back on.

allysgram
Sedalia, MO

July 22, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5303650

Ellesgh that is so cute. You are so talented.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5304647

I don't know what breed Shrek is. I can't find any info on him online any where yet.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5304866

It's Clydesdale horse...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydesdale_horse

I has been busy again to get my 1st bedroom clean out and paint half-way and I just remove some of carpet out half-way, too!

Nice color and some I put up for decors...
(FYI- I couldn't hold my camera hold still! ..)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5306527

Aunt B--- That Cotten Burr Compost is some real fine stuff. I used to use it a lot. But around here it has climbed up to about 9 bucks a bag.

I never heard of using pine mulch to amend the soil. I did not even think about that. I am sure though it would. For me it has really been a help in using it for planting backfill and for my potting mix. I am moving and potting plants now for myself and for the school sale next May( I will be doing some of that today) and it seems to be pretty benificial. I just figured those experts in the nurseries sure know a lot of things I don't. I spend about a lot of time looking at the pots and whats in them. Sometimes you pick up little things.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5307476

That's what I do Oz, try to be aware and inquisitive what other people are using and doing. I'd never heard of it either, but I did it cause they told me to, pine bark mulch and tilled it in where I was about to plant them. I had 3 rhodies and only lost 1, they bloom every year, so it sure didn't hurt them. I haven't bought any Burr yet this year, 9 bucks is a LOT for a bag of "gold dirt".. not bad if you just need a couple... might have to figure something else out for my berm/mound. I wanted to use it to help build and amend soil.. I'm starting with decent black dirt that will be hauled in. I wanted to add the burr at a 50% ratio and I hope to travel up north and get composted cow manure from my uncles ranch to blend in as the "cherry on top". But at $9 a bag, I'd have to get a part time job, even tho the mound isn't going to be THAT big! I guess I'll spend about $50 on 4-5 bags, mix in the manure with it and the hauled in dirt and call it good. I can keep adding more as I plant stuff each year. I like the burr cause it's aged and ready for the plant to use.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5308266

Aunt B---- I would go ahead and price it that was here in camdenton at the only place in the area that has it.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5308513

Oh gonna have to look for that stuff. I have new blueberry plants that are looking really good but I have them in a pot buried in the ground, so I could amend the soil. They are really going to need to go into an area with very amended soil.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5309565

Well, this is still a crazy week. Last night the phone quit working but we got it going again. Today it quit again and affected my computer. My high speed won't work now and my computer wouldn't start this morning.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5309778

Oh, Pepper, that's no fun. Are you running on Low speed now?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5309797

No, I am running on high speed but it's more of a medium speed tonight. It will be that way til we get this all fixed.

I'm wondering what is gonna happen tomorrow now. lol. Something has gone wrong here everyday this week.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5310364

Pepper, are you on dial up or something else? Is it you PHONE or the lines outside your house/property that are having problems. Maybe the person who hit the water line hit the phone line just enough to crack a wire which is finally acting up. If such a thing is possible.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5310703

Sounds logical to me leaflady. Medium speed.. Pepper. lol If we don't hear from you for a 12 hour period or so, we'll know you lost it completely, the internet connection ;).
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 24, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5312695

well i hope every one ok this morning
dave is going to work on pickled beets
and i am off to work this afternoon
you should see our garden
everything is growing good.
even the weed lol
elle

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5313284

hehe elle. I know the crab grass here is going crazy! Wish my garden plants grew that fast!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5315727

I too wish my veggies were growing as well as the weeds and producing harvest like the weeds are seed.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 25, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5318187

well i off today
(dave said every day lol)
so i am going to help with the beet
i may bring 1 for the round up
elle

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5318602

Here's earthbox which I try test on it and it seem work for me when I go on vacation and I plant eggplants, corns, tomatoes and heirloom watermelon (hope watermelon is getting flower bloom)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5318933

Hey everyone sorry I haven't replied in awhile I have been on military duty in Fort L. Wood. My weeds are out of control, again. However my lupines are finally starting to grow good. I am a but disappointed in their grow rate so far. I started them from seed I am hoping they will pick up the pace a little bit.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5319111

Allan, I haven't had any success w/ lupine.
I thought they were one of those 'cool summer' plants.
Do yours do well? Are they the Russell hybrids?
Is there a trick to growing them?
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #5321703

My DH has been using earthboxes for a while. They work great on somethings. This year we are trying french melons in them since they like the heat. We'll see how that goes.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5322061

ellsgh If you have too many beets let me know. My parents live in Humansville and I plan to be up there next weekend maybe. I would come for the beets alone though.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 26, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5322135

we made 18 qt and got about 4qt to go
i work this weekend and next
the fair is in springfeild
elle
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5322522

The Canna'a are staring to bloom.

Thumbnail by SusanKC

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5322641

Have I ever mentioned on this thread that I thought I had dozens of seedlings from my Autum Joy sedum? Well, I think I was wrong about that. I have a feeling what I really have is several dozen Mother of Millions which I must have gotten from Pepper or PG. Worst of it is, I have given some away as seedlings of my Autum Joy. I was certain this is the first year I have ever had this many seedlings from it. But it has been good in a way because they have filled in spaces for me. But I was shocked to see them just grow tall instead of making a clump sort of plant. I wonder what would happen if I pinched off the top when they are small. Anyone have any experience?

We had a nice rain yesterday morning. Just what we needed. Rainwise, this has been a wonderful summer for us right here. I know it has been terrible for others and my heart aches for them. I wish I could win a really big lottery and donate a few million to some area for whatever the greatest needs would be. But you have to play to win and I don't play. I always tell the clerk at BreakTime when she asks if I want a lottery ticket(she is required to ask that)that I'll put my money in the kingdom of GOD where I know there will be a return. Most of them agree that is a better choice.

I have so many weed seeds to destroy that I wonder if it is possible to do it before they start to fall to the ground. There are new products available now that I can get from our farmer tenents that will help to control the foxtail and wild oats anyway. That will help tremendously. Then if we can get control of the stick tights it will be joy beyond speaking. We have huge patches of them.

Must get busy. GOD bless and keep each of you.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5325310

Weerobin i just bought my seeds from a farm store. I had good germination but they just didn't get very big so far. The leaves are about 6in wide so far on a couple. I'll take some pict and post them when I get a chance.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5326671

I've tried a few times (with plants, not seeds), including this year.
I had great hopes for this one, because it was supposed to be a variety which tolerates humidity.
But alas, it keeps putting out healthy looking leaves, which then promptly wilt and turn brown.
It's still cranking out new leaves as of yesterday, so it hasn't given up trying.
I think once the leaves realize they're in St Louis, they say 'we're out of here'...
I hope you have better luck!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5340610

I'm finally back!! We think there was storm damage on the phone lines and it was more extensive than the company thought. It took seven days to get it fixed but now we are up and running.

In the meantime we have also had a water line break, sewer backup due to a blockage in the line and the water went again yesterday though the company said it was just air in the lines. Took several hours to get the air out, then the water was dirty but we finally have that taken care of. I really hope nothing more happens this week.

My tomatoes have gone gangbusters this year and so have my peppers. I can't even keep up with my tomatoes so I have been throwing them in the freezer. Getting lots of veggies and fruit at work too thanks to our Heartland Harvest Garden and some of our gardeners home gardens.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5340963

I spent time in the yarden today mowing, weedeating and just plain weeding, laying paper and covering it with grass from the yarden. Holly mowed the whole yarden and the grass is so thick this summer that there is plenty for me to rack and pile on top of paper in the beds. I made a big dent in the weed population and even eliminated parts of flower beds I am ready to make changes in.

I have my tomorrow's lunch on cooking in my TurboCooker. I think I didn't put enough water in the bottom from the sound of things in there. I hope I didn't break a casserole dish. I have scalloped eggplant with crushed Ritz crackers & REAL melted butter mixed in them on top of the eggplant, and an apple cut in fourths & sprinkled with spices and some fake 'butter' poured over it. No meat picked out yet.

Pepper, I'm so glad to hear your troubles are finally getting worked out. I think you are in the line of some bad storms tonight. I hear the thunder already so you may have gotten some rain and winds already. There was a wall cloud in KS at the time of the 4 p.m. news that hadn't turned into a tornado yet but looked as tho it might.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5341005

Thunder so far but that's it. I am having computer troubles so I may be in and out til I figure out why. My screen will just go to a complete blurry blank for lack of better description.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5341426

Pepper, I think you need a new monitor. That is exactly how my old acted and finally it just went black and stayed that way. I don't know how old yours is. Mine was 8 years old at least. I got a SyncMaster 932B and love it.

Tell everyone at PG I miss them so much. Somehow just when I think I'm going to get to come back every week life throws me another curve ball. I really hate it. And by the time I'll be able to afford fuel even every other week it will be mid fall. Sept. for sure. Be sure to tell Ann that all those Coleus & EE bulbs they threw away are finally a few inch tall. Every once in a while a new one will show up in the soil I brought home from that day. Usually in a pot somewhere, but sometimes in the big container I put it into when I got home. I mixed all the soils together & added nutrient concentrates at some point so some of them got way down to the bottom.

My eggplant plants from PG are doing well. I'm picking lots of the white ones - Hansel ? - and the Turkish Orange ones so far. I found out the reason the TOs tasted kind of bitter is because you are suppose to pick them when they are still green/whitish not when they are bright orange.

My Bright Lights Swiss Chard is finally coming up. One plant is much older and larger than the others. There were others its age and size but some critter got in there one day or night and just tore up the whole planter. I salvaged that one plant and replanted.

There was a good blackberry crop and the rhubarb could stand another harvest or 2. I only have 2 plants large enough to use and 3 more hopefully coming on. They won't be harvestable tho for about 3 years at the rate they are going.

Time for bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #5342458

My monitor and desktop are only about 3 yrs old or so.

I will tell everyone today you said hi and all that. They ask about you every week. Even Chris. :~)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5342944

Pepper - If you are having power outage or voltage surges on the line then it can cause damage to the monitor. Also if they (power company) have not gotten both phases stabilized you can see funny things go on in your house. My DH and I both pull the cords on the computer equipment when there are lighting strikes or we see lines surges (lights dimming, getting bright, or flickering).

Our landline and DSL was out this weekend. It looked like someone hit a 500 pair line and took out the phones for the whole area.

BTW - How did the barn go?

Susan
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5344599

Pepper---- Being newer does not mean anything. Even new ones can be a pain. Our other computer that the church bought for my wife to use is only 3 months old and we have been down to Springfield twice with it. Wjen they cost as much as that one cost they should operate. This on e has the computer and monitor all in one unit. Has a 20 or 24 inch screen and runs dual systems. Both Micro soft Windows and Apple. cost about $3,000.00.

If you need a new monitor I can ask the guy next door if he has a spare one and it might be cheap. He buys computers from bussiness places when they update there offices. He usually get 20 or so computers and monitors at a time. He overhauls them and resells to computer stores. If he has one his son lives in your area and he is there a lot.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5345886

Here what I see in few minutes ago:

Rainbow on east side so beautiful and this is my first time see it in MO (but I has see rainbow alot in Calif)...

Also, I has been sick over a week-half and it was some infections got me which it splinter wood in my left hand...
I doing little bit better...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5346110

I don't know if it's the monitor yet or not. It doesn't act up all the time, just occasionally and it just started a week or so ago. I will wait a bit longer to make sure then if it's the monitor I will replace it with a flat screen. I will let you know Oz, how it goes. :~)

The barn is going. The pad was laid down the other day so it's slowly coming together. :~)

Well, we got hit pretty hard around here by Dolly today. I think we got at least 5 inches around here. It rained all day though in the afternoon it was more of a really heavy mist. It started up again about an hour ago but didn't last but a few minutes.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5346319

Pepper---- That is what he has right now is about 10-15 flat screen monitors. I just do not know if they all have a matching computer. I will see what he has just in case on his next trip thru here. He stores all that stuff in a big storage garage next door and live here for a few days at a time.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5346992

My new one is a flat screen and I love it. It also tilts which helps with light glare.

I went out and pulled off lots of giant foxtail seedheads and put them in a burning barrel before dark. If it doesn't rain again I'll mow the plants off tomorrow. If it does I'll pull them out by the roots. Still hundreds of plants to do of the foxtail + dozens of miner's lettuce and milk thistle. And sticktights. If I could get control of just those 4 weeds I would be so happy.

I found about 16 baby yard long beans this evening. Still very tiny but in a couple days maybe I can have enough for a meal from them. I need to see if I can get them to bloom more or that will be the crop. I had the scalloped eggplant for lunch. It was good. Lots of Hansel out there to be used soon. Gretal doesn't seem to be doing anything at all and China Red is way behind too. I don't remember the name of the one in the pot out front but it isn't even growing much less producing. Lots of green tomatoes. I may pick a couple and fry them tomorrow.

I need to go lock up the birds and get myself into bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 31, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5349152

hi all
we went to the fair yesterday
we enjoy ourself
we are done with our beets 36 qt.
now we are making bread and butter pickle
well i see it time to get ready for work
elle
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

July 31, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5350390

I finally got a ripe tomatoe this evening. There is one more that is just aboute there, Lots of cherry ones that are ripe though. The squash and cucumbers have slowed down.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5355696

I picked my first 2 ripe ones this afternoon too. Both are Roma types. 3 or 4 more are almost ripe. I want to pick a large green one and fry it for my first treat of that this season.

It is terribly hot here and I'm making the cats and dogs stay inside almost all of the time. Some nights they stay outside. Except Penny of course. I think they get stir crazy being stuck in the house all of the time. One in particular(Kelly)gets really hard to get along with. She is a mental case anyway and picks on most of the cats badly. Only a couple of them will fight back which makes her back off immediately.

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

August 1, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5355897

hi elle here
well we done 13 pts of bread and butter pickel
and more to come
it sure is hot here
well it aug already
have a good weekend
elle and dave

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5362162

I made new forum August 2008

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/885423/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America