Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

July 2008 Forum

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just awlfully so busy last month..

July 1 to 4 will have big noise fireworks!

I have alot of seeds coming up on Hollyhocks...

I got small eggplant and it grow good in earthbox that I don't have to water everydays...It has bottom of pot to fill up the water and it good growing I has tomatoes, onamental peppers, kale get bigger and squashes also watermelon, corn and melon.

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Eggplant:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hollyhock blooms:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hollyhock bloom light yellow:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hollyhock bloom light-med. pink:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Daylilies:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I have just gotten off of flood duty. My gardens are a mess with weeds. Here are a couple of picts though. The first one is of my rose bush The Fairy. I bought it this year from Antique Rose Emporium,

Thumbnail by allanme79
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is my back yard flower bed. I have a sunburst honey locust, some lupines (they are pretty short still) coneflowers, daylies, and some various annuals. I still have a lot of weeding to do there also. I jsut hope I can remember what is weeds!

Thumbnail by allanme79
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is my Zéphirine Drouhin first year planted. I bought it from Park Seed.

Thumbnail by allanme79
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am going to remove the AC box, and towards the right behind the dwarf sunflowers I have coneflowers, some day lilies and clematis. I have lupines behind the barrels but I don't think they are going to get enough light. Them seem a little bit short. I started them from seed so maybe they need another year of growth before they can flower. I have am thinking of putting hostas around the bird bath. I think that will be easier than weeding around the flowers. Do you think I can put a water lily in the bird bath it is pretty deep?

Thumbnail by allanme79
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Rusty and alanme79, Keep em coming, pretty pics! Allanme, just follow the bloom stems down, don't pull that. It doesn't look bad, nothing an hour or so sweating couldn't help... bet you remember what a weed is when your done. lol I just got the Fall leaves off my hosta a couple weeks ago, EVERYTHING is late this year, including me. Bless you for doing flood duty.. poor people and crops. Rusty, did you plant the hollyhocks this spring? I was chatting with Leaflady about them yesterday. I think they would make a nice planting at the back of my yard next to the chainlink... may provide some privacy as well. She said she had plenty of seed if I want her to send me some... EvaMae, hold off, I'm really wanting to come to the Fall RU, unless I need to plant them now or you want them out of your way, I can send some postage. Rusty, how are your brugs doing? Here's one Happgarden gave me this spring, now it has buds, the blooms will be white and big, I'm so excited!! You have a nice vege garden, too! I did a tomato plant, green beans and just planted some peppers I germinated earlier. Tomatoes are producing and the beans aren't far behind...Star, so nice to have a wonderful friend to help out like that. So, you're down to the baseboards and switch plates? Hanging art on the walls?? Sounds like it's time for some R&R, BEFORE midnight. You must be so proud, how exciting! Hi to everyone, Pepper, you ornry little flower, hope you and yours are having a great summer. I think of you all often. Rusty thanks for always getting the new month thread going.

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

You are going to have your place all spruced up, Alanme79! I don't think the bird bath is deep enough for a lily, but I'm no water plant expert. I've got one the deepest I've ever had one and it is blooming, I've never gotten blooms on one for 3 years! This year, it slid off the pot I had it elevated on, and I left it.. then the blooming started! So I'm leaving it there in the bottom.. I fashioned a pond from an old oblong livestock if that helps determine the depth it's at. You could place a small pot of Xanthosoma Lime Zinger in it... It grows upright with arrowhead shaped leaves. It's bright green like the ornamental sweet potato vine. It grows in sun or shade...(and I just happen to have a couple extras I could send) I see some sun there in the bed, might get sun tolerant hosta, our resident hosta expert would be Oz. He's prolly out fishin.... or trackin armadillo. ;) I've got to do some work stuff (I AM at work, lol) I'll try to find a pic of the lime zinger and post before I leave today. -B

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Here it is, Lime Zinger. It's the little half barrel pot on the left. They grow in soil or water, shade or sun... (better with more sun than shade).. I set the pot in my basement in winter and water moderately, they die back, but come spring and they're outside, they start producing leaves like gang busters. The ones in my pond, I pot up with soil in fall and treat just like the one's already potted. Easy!

Thumbnail by AuntB
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I think that would like nice in the bird bath. How much you think shipping would be? I have never gotten a plant from a daves garden person before.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

QUOTED:

Rusty, did you plant the hollyhocks this spring?

I didn't plant hollyhock seeds at all that I brought house in 2005 and I didn't notice any of this hollyhock plant here and it was here when peoples was living that time...

QUOTED:

Rusty, how are your brugs doing?

Well, I has brugs inside last year after first frost hit and it stayed inside by the french door and somehow bugs got in the brug's stem and they breed in the stem so it dead already on First New Year... Begonia still growing new and healthy now...

On Front yard as remember the gardening was neat and clean no weeds so here it yucca growing coming back again weeds, too! So, I gonna to rid of weeds then put the black paperlike (cheesecloth) sheet on ground and put some soil on top... I have 3 roses growing and got weeds around it...

QUOTED:

Rusty thanks for always getting the new month thread going.

I do that every month for new forum...

I has been watch the baby hawk flies around with parent is around and baby crying for foods!

I made a click noise tongue and see the hawk's head turn and heard click noise tongue and sure it has a sharp ear to listen!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2008 5:00 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am hoping to start planning for the Fall RU soon. Am thinking September, maybe early October at the latest to have it. Nice and cool then and not hot. Anyone wants to help with the planning shoot me a d-mail and we can get started. :~)

I will be working on Sat at PG. It is Booms and Blooms weekend and Sat is the fireworks and daylily show. I plan on getting some daylilies. Want a bright red and some other eye popping colors.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got another one bloom daylilies color so beautiful:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Blooming today and so fragrant... a successful first attempt in growing lilies...

Thumbnail by garden6
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Rusty. They've really caught my eye this year. I'm loving the lily pics and the hawk one, too! Allanme, let me be the first, of many. I can send smaller bulbs with fewer leaves, less weight, and they'll grow pretty fast. I sent out an over 2 lb package last week, 2 day priority for $6.75... the zinger wouldn't weight that much... I'll check their weight when I'm home, I'm getting some pkgs together for next Monday's mail so I'll get one ready for you, too. I can probably send 1st class over there to you in MO and it would be cheaper.. I think the zinger will be fine for 3 or 4 days in the box..if it takes that long. Busy weekend, so if I don't talk to ya, I'll d-mail Monday when I know I've got them on their way.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks AuntB let me know what I owe ya and I will return it in another envelope.

Some bad storms in the area. Hearing reports of golf ball sized hail.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I having T-storm on way tonight for sure until July 4!

My area got hit pretty hard. My next door neighbor has a tree on top of their trailer, another neighbor up the road has a tree that got hit by lightning also. We have lots of limbs down and all of the gravel roads around here are a mess. Neighbor's on a neighboring road also have tree damage.

We didn't get hit too hard at work that I know of. But there was enough rain to mess up our roads there and to have flash flooding in places.

I also had to right my tomatoes cause the wind pulled the cages out and they were all leaning into each other and all tangled up. A big mess around here. No power was lost though the lights did flicker alot during the storm.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It has raining this early morning then sunny up to 95* then coming again later on storm & windy.

I has been watch on baby hawk and Rusty chase off too close!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Pepper, so sorry. I hope things have settled. Rusty is protecting, that is such a peaceful thought to watch a baby hawk. Nice!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper I heard all about your area yeasterday when my neighbor came down from Oak Grove. His sons house had part of the roof blown off. I wonder if you heard about the guy that got tangled up in a air hose while roofing and fell. That was at his sons house. He broke his neck and is parallized from the neck down.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh Oz, that is awful, it was your neighbors son that fell, just terrible.. That would be a very hard road to travel... Hey, I've had such fun reading about the coral bells, I haven't done anything different with mine, yet, still in the ground.. too much to do. But I do have a couple still in nursery pots so I'm definately potting them up. Allanme79, I'm d-mailing you on the zingers and Everyone have a happy safe 4th of July! -Bonnie

Oz, never heard about that. Will have to ask my brother if he did since he lives there. Sorry to hear about him being paralyzed.

As for the storm, I haven't traveled to the eastern area of my neighborhood but one neighbor on the other road has lost some trees. My dad says it literally looks like a small tornado hit. He said some of the trees are completely stripped of limbs and leaves and that it all landed across the street in our friend's yard. And our friend has some major roof damage that wasn't noticeable til my dad climbed up there to check it out. It's pretty bad over there.

We have lots of limbs down. I had to clean up the yard so we could mow and we had limbs down where we never have them. Luckily not too many big ones, just lots and lots of medium and smaller ones. I know it could have been alot worse though. That was one whopper of a storm.

Hope everyone has a great and safe night!! I will be holed up here in the house tonight. Gotta protect it from stray fireworks. And big ones are going off already. Someone just shot off and M-80.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

M80's here too at my neighbors house. Happy 4th!

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Lavender4ever,
You got the sago palm I notice it and it more got healthy plant over there...

I used has one with funny leaves like antler (I was living in Calif)...

Rusty poor thing he is very nerves of noise and I gave him with calm down pill... After that I gave him 2 of rib bones to make him chew bones and it work but still act panic little bit...

Here what I found of Rusty's tail cut off at 6 months old...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Rusty is so cute! My rosie has no fear of fireworks at all thank goodness. Especially since the neighbors house sounds like a war zone.
My sago I won at a raffle. It had just three fronds and was very tiny.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, why in the world did they wait until he was 6 months old or was it an accident? GS don't usually have docked tails that I know of. When I bred dogs whose tails had to be docked we did it within 48 hours of birth. I asked a vet once about the pain and he said it was like cutting off a newborn baby's finger. I stopped docking immedately no matter what breed the dogs were. Lost some sales & stopped breeding those breeds too.

I love hollyhocks as all who were here for an RU saw. But they still are weeds here. I guess we just have the special soil needed for them in this area. I saw a bummble bee in a bloom a while ago so I assume we will continue to have a conglumeration of colors again next year.

Rusty, I too appreciate you starting the new thread each month.

I weeded a good size gound level flower bed yesterday evening. Found some mums I knew were in there are ok in spite of being smothered by weeds and grasses. One mum has only one stalk as does a nearby lemon balm. I'll lay down newspapers and carboard down and put the pulled weeds and grasses on them soon. Just too tired today.

Holly moved my big double purple Rose of Sharon with the skidloader the other day and used the dirt she removed from the hole to fill in the hole the ROS came out of. I watered it in well and it doesn't seem to know it has been moved. I'll use boxes of heavy cardboard and woodchips she bought to the site for me to help control weeds in that bed. She brought me several loads to 2 different spots. It will take a while to get all that spread over newspaper and cardboard. Some may not have anything put under them so I can plant in the chips.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

QUOTED:

Rusty, why in the world did they wait until he was 6 months old or was it an accident?

He biting his tail's tip about 1-1/2 inches off and I has to take him to Vet and have his tail cut off and he also have a brain damages which is was in his mom's womb and someone kick her stomach then he born that time until I got him was 8 wks old and got fixed then at 6 month old he act stranger different that he chase around circle to pull his hind's leg hair out! That's why he got and still keep doing after his supper done he go crazy...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That poor dog. My heart goes out to both of you. It is terrible to watch someone you love suffer and know there is little you can do to help them.

Humansville, MO

dave and i are doing fine
no dange here from storm
we got beet to can
went and got everything to do it
i hope every one a happy weekend
elle

We had a successful night last night for Blooms and Blooms. Last I heard we had around 4000 people there.

We had a daylily tent there also so I went and bought me 3 new dayliles.

Sunday Gloves: It is a white with big blooms. www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/20975/

Fire Escape: A big blood red. www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/29314/

I also got one called Merry Monarch but I can't find pics of it anywhere but at the tent the pic on the box made it look like a bright fuschia color.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Amanda, I thought about you and the event yesterday... that's as far as I got. I was too tired to do more than water and fix a bite to eat, and laundry... It was so nice a cool/cloudy yesterday, here anyway. Those are some gorgeous lilies you picked out. Do you have Casablanca? It's a scented white...

No, but since you mentioned it I want it!! LOL. I love lilies with scent.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Aunt B--- It was not his son it was a roofer on the job at his house.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Oz. Poor guy. Pepper, I don't know why I don't just get one. I heard about them 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm told they will scent your whole yard up. I've meant to d-mail you about the fall round-up, I'm SO hoping nothing interfers with me making it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.