July Daily Weather, Daze of Summer!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Here it's July and all my plant's are expecting rain daily. And (Knock on wood) so far we are getting afternoon showers. I believe it even rained during the night.
Please come by with your pictures and weather often.
Here in Jax it's;
77.7 F / 25.4 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 71 F / 21 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 80 F / 27 C
Gonna be hot, hope that wind gets up to 5mph.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Sidney! 84 here now and still a very pleasant day for outside chores with bright sun and mostly clear blue skies.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks, guys, your words made me cry...I cry so often these days... I'm lucky I am too busy with the house and I have little time to mourn...we have water inside the house and the bedrooms are clean and have furniture.
Sidney, that was so sweet ... yes, we had such a special relation!
Here is Boss in the garden a few weeks ago, on his 12th birthday .
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Currently: 86F
Partly Cloudy
Wind: N at 2 mph
Humidity: 32%

That's exceptional weather for July here. Downright cool and dry! Love it. Took my lunch to the park today.

Adina: Your Boss had such a sweet countenance.
Sidney:: Congrats on regular rain!!
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Adina, I'm so sorry about Boss. :-(

Weather-wise, we're the same as usual today, except the humidity is really low.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CDT (22 min ago)
Temperature 92 F 33 C
Dew Point 63 F 17 C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir E 100
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 94 F 34 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Celia -
The fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.
Carl Sandburg, Chicago Poems (1916) "Fog"

Marylyn, do you think the Astros are going to "fatten up" on the Dodgers? Just about everyone else has.

No fog here.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 01, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 14 mph / 22 km/h / 6.2 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

scarlet larkspur - I couldn't show you these last year because they dried up before they bloomed. The plant behind it is California buckwheat.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney Beeeeyooouteeful Coleus! Wow!
Adina That is a gorgeous picture of Boss. You should blow it up and frame it as a tribute to him. I know you miss him terribly {{{sniff}}} {{[HUGS}}}
Kelli The Scarlet Larkspur has such a rich colorvery pretty! The path is inviting!

Gary is off the chemo until next week. His white blood cell count is 0 as in zero. The Dr put him on some drugs and told him to eat some fatty food from McDonalds! That is Garys #1 place to get burgers so he couldnt be happier! LOL! He goes for a checkup on Monday. If his white blood cell count isnt up then they will do a transfusion.

78.1 F / 25.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 F / 27 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 68. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

NOID rose bud

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot but breezy. high was in low 80s. Tomorrow will be in the low 90s and humid with storms coming that night.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kelli, if the Astros would only listen to me, perhaps we could have won tonight's game... I TOLD them not to trade Jeff Kent! (Well, ok, actually I merely groaned loudly when I heard about the trade. Still....) On the whole, very few teams have much to worry about from the Astros this year.

I hope Gary feels better after eating his quota of Big Macs, Sharon. I'll be praying that his white blood cell count goes up dramatically this week.

Pepper - Hope the storms don't do any damage! Try to stay cool! How about some more pictures from work?
Marylyn - Thank you. Gary stayed at his Mom's last night. He was pretty doped up.

Unusually "less warm" this morning!

69.8 F / 21.0 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft / 5 m

My Star Gazer Lilies are beginning to bloom

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kelli. I haven't heard that in awhile. Love the color on the larkspur.

Sharon, Gary sounds like a strong boy. And a Big Mac sounds great! LOL Your flowers are pretty.

82F with 96 later. No coulds that I can see so maybe it won't be so muggy. I like moisture in the air but it kills Darrell when it's this hot.
Feels like: 82F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 47
Humidity: 29%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph WNW
Sunrise: 6:00 AM
Sunset: 9:02 PM
UV Index: 5 Moderate

Anybody know how to get a stray cat to go away? There's a female that's been yowling for 2 days. She keeps coming into our yard and fighting with our cats. I have to keep them inside. I now she'll probably stop in a day or two but in the meantime...

Astible opening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney: thanks for the new thread--gorgeous coleus!
Kelli: I enjoyed the Sandburg poem--it's been years since I have read that--brings back memories of high school literature. That's a nice contrast between the larkspur and the buckwheat.
Sharon: I'm glad Gary is off the chemo for a few days. We'll be praying that his blood count will go up before Monday.
Celia: you are forecast to be hotter than we are--imagine that! I didn't think it got that hot in the mountains. Pretty astilbe.

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 92F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 42%
UV Index: 10+ Extreme
Sunrise: 5:59 AM CT
Sunset: 8:26 PM CT
Avg. High: 90F
Record High: 102F (1970)
Mostly Clear Overnight
Low 69F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 66%
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 60F (1985)

Maybe this will make everyone feel cooler. LOL--a snowy picture from early March

Thumbnail by marsue
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayy! It's raining! A nice steady drizzle - perfect. I hope it keeps doing this for a while!

If you figure out something that works for the cat, let us know, Celia. We have one wandering around our neighborhood, too. Its yowls sound just like a child crying, so it wakes me up quickly and it takes me a long time to get back to sleep again!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (14 min ago)
Temperature 82 F 28 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 74%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir ESE 120
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 88 F 31 C
Current Conditions Clear (ummm... not that I can see! LOL)
0.17" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

84, Sunny & Bright.

Sometimes a hungry cat is the best defense against mice, and sometimes a hungry dog is the best defense against a cat. Then again you sometimes get a cat like the old tom around here that will take even the largest dog on and send him packing. It did not take the neighborhood strays long to learn to avoid this, as well as the other neighborhood tom cats.

Coyotes will pick off cats, though they probably get the pets before the "street smart" strays.

Xerox copy of yesterday.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 02, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.78 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

some more Mount Pinos

Thumbnail by Kelli
Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Kelli, do you ever harvest the pinenuts?
I too Love Robert Frost and his poem about the road least taken
Has profoundly affected my life.
A lady in her ninety's was saying if she had it to all do over again that she would have packed a little lighter and taken the road least traveled as mentioned in Frost's poem.
I have been on those paths at over half my life now.
Sidney

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 12:47 AM

I like that poem, too, and also "Mending Wall" (http://www.bartleby.com/104/64.html) I don't look for any deep meanings, it's just that the word pictures seem so real to me. I also like "Death of a Hired Man" (http://www.bartleby.com/118/3.html). Like "Mending Wall", a minimum of words produces rich pictures.

[For the curious, here is "The Road Not Taken" http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html ]

I have never really gathered pine nuts. I'm usually not in a pine forest at the right time of year. I tried a couple pinion pine nuts once or twice, but didn't think I should take many. The wildlife need the food more than I do.

Still hot

Updated: 5:51 PM PDT on July 02, 2008
93 F / 34 C
Clear
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 91 F / 33 C
UV: 2 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marylyn: Glad you got rain!
Had a lovely day here. Hot but not unbearable and fairly low humidity. Would've been perfect if it had finished with a late afternoon shower. :)

Part of my front porch "garden".
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your front porch "garden" is lovely, Deb!!

I told ya' you didn't need to worry much about your Dodgers, Kelli! LOL I also love "The Road Not Taken."

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Let's try this again, LOL
Kelli, do you ever harvest the pinenuts?
I too Love Robert Frost and his poem about the road least taken
Has profoundly affected my life.
A lady in her ninety's was saying if she had it to all do over again that she would have packed a little lighter and taken the road least traveled as mentioned in Frost's poem.
I have been on those paths at over half my life now.
Sidney

(Zone 7a)

Marilyn, Last summer we had 100s for many days. Upper 90s are not uncommon. They call this the "high desert" and for good reason. A high desert is an area of desert about 2000 feet elevation, open and flat.

Wikipedia says..."The Great Basin is a large, arid region of the western United States. Its boundaries depend on how it is defined. Its most common definition is the contiguous watershed, roughly between the Wasatch Mountains, in Utah and the Sierra Nevada, that has no natural outlet to the sea. Therefore it is endorheic (closed drainage basin). The Great Basin Desert is defined by the extent of characteristic plant species, and covers a somewhat different (and smaller) area."

Therefore, hot, hot hot and cold, cold, cold.

101 tomorrow.

The cat is in heat. I think someone has shut her inside or chased her off for good. Darrell says he hasen't heard her all afternoon. You guys are funny with your suggestions, though. LOL

I like your pots, Deb. The colors go well together.

Thanks for the links to the poems, Kelli. I very much enjoyed them.

Our new lamps came.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Nearly 11PM~sunny w/blue sky. Just great; in the 60's just makes it perfect.
Lost "you all" somehow on that last change.
Lots of pretty places and things have appeared in the short time away.
I took this pic at 10:30PM of the sunlight shining in through the north facing windows.
Note the shadows on the wall. It's a gorgeous night for sure.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

A blue sky night. 10:30 pm.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Wild Iris at night. (no, not a relative):))

Thumbnail by kiska

Great pics everyone! Gary is still having problems/issues so I've not been able to post much lately.

Deb - Love your front porch!
Kiska - The shadows on the wall is so pretty as are the moutains and Iris!

72.3 F / 22.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Celia I love your lamps. Where did you find it?
Sharon I too am keeping Gary in my heart.
Sidney
Busy readying for my RU.
Sidney

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: LOL at the mice/cat/dog scenario.
Marylyn: so glad you got some much-needed rain!
Celia: thanks for the info on the high desert country--very interesting. Just goes to show me that I'm never too old to learn--LOL. I can imagine how pretty your lamps look on the new furniture. How about a picture so I don't have to "imagine" it?
Kiska: It's hard for me to "imagine" having that much daylight at 10:30 at night. Very pretty photos--did you make that bowl? Colorful wild iris!
Deb: I, too, think your front porch garden is lovely.
Kelli: I'm enjoying the poems. As I said, they bring back memories. My grandmother was a published writer and poet--perhaps someday I'll post one of her poems here.
Sharon: Gary and you and the rest of the family are all in my prayers. I finally have a bloom and buds on one of my orchids!
Sidney: good luck with the RU!

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 91F
Precip 20%
Wind: SW 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 50%
UV Index: 10+ Extreme (:(((
Sunrise: 5:59 AM CT
Sunset: 8:25 PM CT
Avg. High: 90F
Record High: 103F (1970)
T-Storms Late
Overnight Low 71F
Precip 40%
Wind: SSW 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 73% (:((
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 60F (1995)

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Wondeful pics, Kiska. The second one is my favorite.

Marilyn, you're welcome. There is a 2000 year old saying..."Your head is your house. Furnish it." I try to live by that. VERY pretty orchid!

Sidney, I found them on LampsPlus.com. They have lots of nice things.

79F with only 99 for today. Downgraded since last night.
Feels like: 79F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 22%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:01 AM
Sunset: 9:02 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

My grandniece, Rainey. I asked her to smile and this is what I got. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: "Your head is your house. Furnish it." I wish I had had that saying to use when my kids were teens! LOL Rainey is precious. She looks like a handful!

(Zone 7a)

She is!!! LOL This is her sister, Liza. We call her Boo after the little girl in Monster's, Inc.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Rannveig!!! I hope you're having a wonderful day. ^_^

Celia, Rainey is adorable! And the lamp is beautiful, too.

Kiska, I love the shadow photo. My grandmother had a carnival glass candy dish just like that one. I think my brother has it now. :-)

Sharon, I'm sorry Gary still isn't feeling well. I'm still praying, too.

There's a 30% chance of rain today and a 50% chance tomorrow. I'll take all the rain we can get so the idiots shooting off illegal fireworks tomorrow night are slightly less likely to start a big fire. That's a bigger concern west of Houston than here... We get these pop up showers from the Gulf relatively frequently (this month we could have used more!), but they usually fizzle out before they get very far inland. Much of Texas is under a moderate-to-severe drought and it wouldn't take much of a spark to do serious damage.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CDT (49 min ago)
Temperature 85 F 29 C
Dew Point 72 F 22 C
Humidity 65%
Pressure 30.06 in 1018 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 91 F 33 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1F / 21.7C

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We cross-posted, Celia. Liza is beautiful, too! :-)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, indeed, Liza and Rainey are surely two handsful!! So cute!! They look very close together in age.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RANN! Have a great day!

Thumbnail by marsue
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: Hope you're having a very, very, very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Sharon: We have the same Lisianthus! I love that one. Hope Gary's feeling better very soon.
Celia: Looks like your grandneices are a couple of scene stealers! So cute!
Marsue: Lovely white orchid! Ain't it great when they cooperate?
Kiska: Amazed at your blue sky night.

Currently only 83 and a bit humid. Clouding over, so I really, really hope that means rain! Forecast has 30% chance.

Marylyn: I'm with you. Our area of SC is in moderate drought and the combo of that and Independence Day fireworks is kinda scary. We live in a Pine forest, basically.

Bit of coleus from this morning...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Nope, I never have harvested pine nuts.

Smoke from the fires up at Big Sur must have worked its way down here. The sky is kind of an odd hazy color and the air smells funny. It's sort of a sweaty/industrial smell. It smells like that outside, it smells like that in the house, and it even smells like that at the beach.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 03, 2008
94 F / 34 C
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.77 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

(Zone 3b)

Windy; 28mph; overcast and 61
Happy Birthday, Rann; hope it's been just wonderful.
kwanjin~the lamp is beautiful, as are the grand-nieces; darling little girls.
marsue~the orchid is so pretty~I didn't make the bowl in the pic; it's a wmart special from a few years ago. There'll be no shadows tonight too overcast.
MarylynnT_X~ my carnival glass bowl belonged to my grandmother. She lived in Michigan; how nice to keep yours in the family, too. Hope you stay fire-safe tomorrow.
MySharona~you and your family are never far in thought~sorry Gary's having a hard time.
Deb~what a gorgeous coleus you've posted. Do you have many? Hope the 4th goes well in your area, too.
kelli~what a terrible time w/fires in Calif; hope they can contain the Big Sur fire soon. My sister, SacValley, said her area of Sacramento was very smoky the other day.
A few threads back, you posted a photo of a lily; the color was wonderful and I looked for glass in a similiar color.. This is what became of your inspiration. Thanks.
Second step. Ready for the mold.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

In the kiln.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The bowl.

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: That coleus came to me originally from a cutting I got from Sidney. It's one of my favorites.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images