Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Central Midwest Gardening: Hollyhocks: "fungus" on leaves, in Central Illinois?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5187968

Hi...
I have a beautiful stand of Old Fashioned Hollyhocks on my side yard, where they come up year after year. This is the FIRST year I've seen this curious, UGLY condition: bright yellow spot-blotches all over the leaves, and the undersides have parallel grey "fuzzy" (looked like spider egg sacs at first glance) ring-spots. On some, these are turning into HOLES. I'm not sure whether I have a pest eating through the leaves, a disease, or fungus, or what...?

We HAVE had a terribly rainy Spring in Central Illinois this year (2008); no flooding in my neighborhood, but we're close to areas where there has been a LOT. When the rains stopped and it got SUNNY and HOT, that'w when these turned up (in the past couple weeks)... Any ideas??
It does not seem to be hurting the overall plant or flowers, but you can SEE this blight from the STREET, and it's plain ugly and embarassing... ;-(

jipsi

Thumbnail by jipsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5188899

Hi Jipsi, I'm no expert, looks like a fungus to me. Topical fungicide could help, IF it is fungus.. Someone with more knowledge will reply, but this will bump the post back up to the top.. -B

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5198389

It like infection to your plant after raining then hot sunny day that will be like sunburn to me but it different grey spot I never seen any like this...

I only have powder mildew which is white...

I have no clue on gray spot maybe you can check on some forum I see in DG's...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America