Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’: Great idea!

Communities > Forums > Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’Replies: 11, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 3, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #5196905

Jill, another great article here and a great idea too for my garden! The ZD sounds to be perfect, I can almost smell its scent !Thanks !
Hugs,
Adina
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5197952

Must have it!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5198196

Yep, gotta have this one. Thanks.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5199050

Yep, me too! I have the perfect spot for it and can't wait to get one!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5199482

It's a good one! Mine recently (since those photos!) got overgrown by a much too enthusiastic clematis, but I've pruned back the offending vine, and ZD is already putting out new growth and a couple of blooms. :-)
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5200409

Sounds good. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder where I chould find a spot.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5200896

LOL... is there going to be a "run" on these at local nurseries now? I've heard good reports on this rose from people in many different areas, so I'm pretty confident about recommending it so highly... I hope you all find one and that it thrives in your gardens!

adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

July 8, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5220421

Critter,

I planted a couple of them on a homemade trellis over a very shady garden path. They didn't do very well the first year, but I had high hopes for year No. 2. They only grew to about three feet and had hardly any blooms.

I also planted Jackmani Clematis beside each one, thinking the purple and pink would look great together. I was so disappointed! The Clematis failed to put on the show that I expected. Maybe I should separate the roses from the Clematis? Although the Clematis didn't look good either. Maybe it's too shady where they are.

I bought the roses from Jackson-Perkins, so I know they should be good stock. I don't know what to do now!

I feed them regulr rose food and keep them watered and mulched.

Pat
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5221129

Hmm... My MIL in NC has one that could be doing better, also. I was blaming the fact that it got moved, along with inconsistent watering (it's not on the irrigation system), but now I'm not so sure. Maybe they just don't do well in the Piedmont for some reason? I'm really baffled, since they do so well here and even further south (in Texas, for instance).
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5235662

Did ya'll dig nice big planting holes, and put peat moss
and stuff in them? Your mention of shade makes me
wonder if tree roots limited your soil prep.
This is book-learning talking. Actually, one of mine in a
sorry place is thriving, and another one that is utterly
pampered is dragging.
Fitsy
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5235743

Oh, and thanks a lot for showing this remarkable
rose to me. I gotta have one, too!
Fitsy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #5236479

The soil at my MIL's place is amazing, so that's not the issue. I'm not sure what it could be... should've taken a closer look at it when we were there last week, but was distracted (fun) with niece & nephew!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone have this rose in Zone 4? dahlianut 4 Jul 8, 2008 11:59 AM
Nice article about a nice rose. PaulFromAL 11 Jul 9, 2008 11:25 AM
Zephirine Drouhin msmouser 3 Jul 22, 2008 2:40 AM
no blooms jaxweaver 2 Jul 28, 2009 1:48 AM
no blooms here either Jeanniegardener 5 Jun 21, 2010 12:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America