Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Drummond Island get away.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My wife and I went back to our home town in Michigan to see family and stopped on Drummond Island for a week of exploring. Wonderful place and people! It is a limestone piece carved by the glaciers of the Canadian Shield. Many deposits of metomorphic rock with awesome colors and details. Lots of pudding stones all over the island. Some are quite beautiful. This is an actual road smooth as concrete from the glacial smoothing.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The main island is a large 9miles X 15 miles long piece of rock. It is surrounded by many islands that make a canoe a great travel method here. You are out in the Freighter lanes for all the ore for Steel manufacture. The sunsets from our cabin made each night a new experience.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The great lakes are still low and lots of beach is exposed. But the lake has risen quite a bit this year. This is a beach on the south end of the island. This side is a good salmon area. The north side has lots of pike, whitefish and perch.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There are miles and miles of trails to hike. I paddled to a chain of 4 lakes in the center of the island. It took me all day and I didn't go to the end. Many Shore birds, warblers, and migrating visitors. Sand hill cranes all over the island.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There are a few sandy beaches on the island and pretty much everywhere is dog friendly. Hardly anyone there so not much conflict. The water is warmer on the north side (shallower water).

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Nature Conservancy has bought a lot of the special areas of the island. This is an Alvar landscape. It is a cracked surface of limestone with thin soil. It is rather unique in what it attracts. Some plants here exist only in a few small places on earth. Lots of wild flowers.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Glacial erratics are all over the island. Probably deposited by Bergs hanging up on the shallow water of the island. Most of the shore line is smothed by glacier carved pieces from the Canadian Shield to the north.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Each night we entered the hot tub to sit through the longest days of the year with the sun setting after 9:30pm. We had only one night with no sunset to thrill us with its beauty.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Each night we entered the hot tub to sit through the longest days of the year with the sun setting after 9:30pm. We had only one night with no sunset to thrill us with its beauty. This is the June 21st sunset

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Alvar had many beautiful wild flowers. Eagles, racoon, white-tailed deer, moose, swans, and rabbits filled the grasslands.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Looking south down lake Huron. This island was a major player in the beaver trade. The voyagers actually wintered on the island in their own homes. About a days paddle to the west is Mackinac Island where much of the trade goods was stored for the paddle up to the Rocky Mountains.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Even walking along the trails we were able to visit with the locals. Actually this group of 3 babies was kind of fun to visit with. They did not have much concern for our presence. Move slowly and walk quietly and the world becomes a story book.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Love the pics and your stories with them. :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.