Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’: Nice article about a nice rose.

Communities > Forums > Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’Replies: 11, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5198336

You picked a good one to write about and to grow...A nursery owner friend of mine suggested a Zephy to use on a 3 post swag I wanted to build/grow for my wife...It's really worked out well...I'm only learning by trial and error the best ways to train the canes up and around the posts, how many canes to choose for each post and training the canes along the chains...but I'm getting there slowly, slowly...Here's some photos of the second year:

http://gallery.mac.com/sinai#100071

Again thanks for the nice article...by the way, waiting to see if this year I have any fall bloom at all, I've read where some folks have had one and other folks never see a bloom one, I reckon I'll see this year cause I had a great spring bloom this year...

Paul from Alabama
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5199501

It's my "trial & error" rose, too... I swear, it's like a rose with training wheels!

I like your chain "swag" between the posts... it's looking good already! I get sporadic rebloom throughout the summer and generally at least one more good flush of blooms after the big spring bloom from mine. Hope you get some repeat bloom from yours this year, too.

Thanks for sharing those photos!
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5200957

Thanks for this article. I just got an e-mail notice today that my Zeffy is being shipped next week! I'm looking forward to trying this beauty on my new arbor.
Soulja
Louisville, KY

July 4, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5201214

count me in for a "Zeffy", sounds like my kinda rose! Thanks for the info.

and great pictures Paul! your garden is cheery, bright and elegant.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5203234

I'm crossing my fingers that this rose will do as well for everybody as it's done for me! :-)

I like the nickname "Zeffy!"
rosesforme01
Melbourne,Vic
Australia

July 7, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5216829

I love the swagged rose!

I have just showm my husband who grunted and said it looks like a lot of work!
Thank goodness i have a garden helper .
I will show him these pics for inspiration!!

It is going to be beautiful.

Well Done!!
cobotanist
Boulder, CO

July 7, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5218018

I love my Zephirine Drouhin that is in a moderately shady spot, but I also love my climbing Gertrude Jekyll, which grows next to my ZD in a spot that's a bit more shady. Pink flowers also, with a nice scent.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5218887

Thanks for the recommendation, cobotanist! I'll keep my eye out for a Gertrude J... :-)
Jeannie_R
Venice, FL

July 8, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5223908

Thanks for the recommendation. Please tell me how I can get one. I love roses but, living in South West Fl. I have trouble growing some of them.
Many thanks.
Jeannie

A newbie here
ddlady
Costa Mesa, CA

July 8, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5225979

I tried to go to your website: HYPERLINK@gallery.mac.com as not able to connect with it from my PC. Any suggestions?
ddlady from CA
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5226299

Jeannie, it's a fairly common variety... going to the PlantFiles page should yield a few vendors who carry it, and you should also be able to search the web for the variety name. Be sure to check out any mail order nursery in Garden Watchdog before ordering... and Go Gardening is quickly becoming a similarly valuable resource for local garden centers! :-)
Jeannie_R
Venice, FL

July 9, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #5228366

Thank you for the help ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great idea! adinamiti 11 Jul 10, 2008 6:52 PM
Anyone have this rose in Zone 4? dahlianut 4 Jul 8, 2008 11:59 AM
Zephirine Drouhin msmouser 3 Jul 22, 2008 2:40 AM
no blooms jaxweaver 2 Jul 28, 2009 1:48 AM
no blooms here either Jeanniegardener 5 Jun 21, 2010 12:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America