Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: is this Elderberry?

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

I have this plant growing besids the silo, never noticed this until yesterday *LOL*

on top of the silo we have always birds and I figure it got here with dropings or seeds??!!!
anyways it looks like Elderberry but I'm not sure.

thanks in advance
Carmen

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

another pix

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

more

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

again

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

last one

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, elderberry.

Keaau, HI

Elderberry; in your area probably Sambucus canadensis, the American Elder.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks everyone :)

so one more question are the berries good to eat ?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

With Elder, the berries are edible when fully ripe (dark purple to black), but are slightly poisonous when unripe (green to reddish).

Resin

Logansport, IN(Zone 5b)

a grandfather of mine used to make elderberry wine....

Keaau, HI

If you cook the berries to make preserves, pancake syrup, or wine, the poison will be neutralized. The toxin is a cyanogenic glycoside known as sambunigrin. Letting the fruit completely ripen helps to reduce the toxin, but cooking the fruit gets rid of it.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thank you all for the help :)

now let's hope the birds won't steal them before I can use them :)
thanks again
Carmen

Keaau, HI

Hey Carmen, you don't have to wait for the birds to rob you. The flowers can be dipped in pancake batter and pan-fried to make elder-flower fritters!

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Metrosideros :)
thanks, but if I do that I can't make some wine *LOL*

how do the fritters taste?

Keaau, HI

Elder-flower fritters taste great! I prefer whole-grain pancake mix with lots of cinnamon. Remove the flowers from the stem, and while cradling them in a ladle, dip them in the batter and drop into a shallow puddle of oil in a hot skillet, and fry till golden brown on both sides.

To get enough Elberberries for wine production, this is the time of year to take greenwood cuttings from mature plants. They root quickly in a vase with water, then pot them up and allow them to double in height with foliage, and plant them out.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Metrosideros thank you for all that information :)

carmen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.