Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: How much light do my tomatoes need to ripen?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shiuvaun
Independence, MO

July 4, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5200670

I have about 16 large tomato plants which have both blossoms & small green tomatoes on them. I'm afraid that maybe I planted them too close together, as the foliage is really thick & I have to search to see all the tomatoes. I'm worried that the fruit won't get enough sun to ripen. Should I pull out some of the plants so the fruit will get more sun?
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

July 4, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5201039

If the plants are flowering and setting fruit well, you're good! Sunlight has to fall on the leaves, but not on the tomatoes. In fact, too much sun on the fruit will damage it (sunscald).

Frank

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5201217

To much sun will also split the tomatoes.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5201448

What varieties? What distance?

If these are large indeterminates like Sungold, Black Cherry, etc. then they ought to be at a minimum 2 feet apart in all directions.
shiuvaun
Independence, MO

July 4, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5203255

They are all medium-sized red varieties. One is Better Boy, I think. I chose three different kinds with different growing periods. Basically, there's no space between the plants.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5203347

Had a volunteer last year plant itself in nearly full shade. I was sure it wouldn't get fruit, but it did. Then I was sure they wouldn't ripen, but they did. They were the best-tasting tomatoes I had. Far better than my intentionally-planted ones. Go figure!

I agree with Frank. If they're flowering and setting fruit, I wouldn't worry about it. My tomatoes the last two years have been very close together, and that hasn't seemed to slow them down at all.

Karen

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5205555

glendale...had something similiar happen here. Started tomatoes too early last year and one black cherry ended up over two feet tall, neglected and in a 7 inch pot by the side of the house. Went days without water but it produced a few fruit. My sis, a long time foodie, pronounced them the best tomatoes she had ever had. But the later black cherries in the dirt, which grew in full sun to be over 12 feet tall and produced hundreds of fruit, were not popular with anyone. They were bland.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5205721

I saved seed from last year's shady volunteer. It was also growing in hard-packed, solid red clay. I have about 10 plants going, hoping that at least one of them will produce fruit as good as that one. Only time will tell. They should -- but, as you say, often it is the condition they grew in and that's hard to duplicate sometimes.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America