Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning: Lightning bugs

Communities > Forums > Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning
bookmark
Forum: Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug LearningReplies: 19, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 4, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5202381

And they only live about 2 months.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5202541

Thanks--that's actually one fact I didn't come across!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5203072

Very interesting and informative. I think I'll have to look up more about these beetles. I'll share what I learn with my 4 1/2 year old grandson who lives next door and loves nature. His parents are excellent teachers on the subject too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5203857

Thank you. You might tell him that they have firelfies in Asia that will cluster in trees and all go on and off simultaneously. Must be something!
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5203978

My understanding is that some areas have several different kinds of lightning bugs which can be distinguished according to the color of the flash (some are yellow, some are green,some are blue, some are orange), and its rhythm.

Not only do they boogie, they got rhythm, and they bring their own light show. Fireflies are natural born entertainers. GREAT article! Happy 4th! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

http://www.appenved.org/research.html

https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/images/FW_observations.pdf

-Joe

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5204180

Thank you Joe. BLUE ones? Wow. Nice that you provided links right here for further exploration.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5204251

Sally, where is MD that is in zone 7a? I think of MD as maybe Maryland which is sure not 7a. lol.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 2:54 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5204385

Well, my MD is Maryland, Land of Pleasant Living, blue crabs, Orioles baseball, etc.
So what zone am I in? LOL Is 7a the cooler or warmer one than 7b?

Hey isn't MO for Missouri? I think of that as more southern and warmer than 5a...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5204762

Good Job, Sally! :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5205300

Great article, Sally, I didn't know fireflies were BEETLES!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5205386

Thank you darius and carrie. Thanks, d, for letting me steal the topic for now- I was relieved to see you do have a nice supply of article subjects anyhoo! But there is more to be written about fireflies maybe next year...
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5205948

Zone 7 is suppose to be 2 zones warmer than zone 5. I thought the New England states have some cold winters and cooler summers than the midwest. I would have expected you to be in zone 4 at least.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5206125

Leaflady, closer to the ocean = warmer. They have a climate moderated by the Gulf stream, and they're farther south than any of the midwest states.

Up in ME, on the other hand (Maine, and VT, and NH,) now THEY gets cold, there you're in zone 4 if you're inland. :)

A joke:

There was a fellow who lived on the border of New Hampshire and Maine. For years the two states went back and forth over where his property was. Maine claimed it. Finally, New Hampshire sued in court, and won. Officials showed up at his door and told him the good news. He now lived in New Hampshire, to which he replied "Thank goodness, I couldn't have stood anuthah one of those Maine wintuhs."

Blue, Sally, although I have never seen a blue one. I have seen yellow, and green. :)

-Joe

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5207001

Joe, you got it. re the zones. We in Mid Atlantic regional forum can even see small differences between the western parts of MD(towards the mountains) and the Eastern Shore which is between a large bay and the ocean.

And that's a cute joke, tee hee.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5207037

Joe, thanks for the explaination. That is a cute story.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5207077

Also, leaflady, I feel I must point out, living as I do in MA, Massachusetts, that MD, Maryland, is NOT in New England. Maryland is the beginning of the South, at least from our point of view! (Country music, different kinds of fast food, different kinds of dirt...)

New England is everything northeast of New York: Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire. My husband, who grew up on Long Island, New York, says the parts of Long Island that are north of NYC should also be counted as New England, but I say he's full of baloney.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5207837

Thank you, Carrie, for that information. My geography is poor to say the least.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 11:54 AM
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5208464

LOL Carrie. I had a friend in Massachusetts who used to tell me about how she couldn't staand New Yawkers with their nasal aaccents. :)

I thought it was amazing the first time I flew south with a stop over in DC/Maryland how you can *see* the difference in the air. North of DC the air is relatively clear, with puffy clouds, and you can see the ground sharp. From DC on southward there's a blue haze (humidity, I assume) that obscures most details. You can see land and water between clouds, but you cannot see many details. It's lost in the haze.

-Joe

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 3:32 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5209241

Joe, you must not have flown over Delaware and New Jersey where the air is a yellow sulphuric cloud!
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5210328

Yah I came in from Ohio, so the route is down over Kentucky and Virginia, then left. :)

-Joe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cute onewish1 3 Jul 5, 2008 1:28 PM
The twinkle is all about dating... sghatdaves 1 Jul 7, 2008 1:40 PM
Use plastic jars when kids are around... tomtedbear 1 Jul 7, 2008 5:42 PM
fireflies jpayne4246 1 Jul 8, 2008 12:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America