Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters: Need help thinkin' "outside the box"...

Communities > Forums > Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters
bookmark
Forum: Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden CrittersReplies: 9, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5206737

I saw your thread on this and loved it. You are most clever with how tos... Since reading the thread, I have been rolling an idea around in my brain. I've some of those old metal lawn chairs needing refurbishing. I had painted two navy blue with white frames and one purple (my favorite) with white frame. I think I'd like this hammered metal finish but afraid it would look cheesy with a white frame and overwhelming if all done the same. Any thoughts on a contrasting color for the frame.
I enjoy your articles and posts. Always entertaining and informative...
Thanks... pod
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5206796

Thanks Pod. I'm glad you like the article. I had fun putting it together and enjoy sharing with the great folks here at Dave's.

You could use just the hammered black where the white is now to give it a really nice contrast to the metallic colors. I bet they will be beautiful when you're done.

I've recently purchased a nice trigger sprayer thingamajig that goes on top of the spray cans. It's got a great cushion grip on it. It really helps on the fingers when you have a large object, like your chair to paint. It was around $5, but well worth the cost considering how many things I paint.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5208408

i love all the ideas you come up with! i spray painted a bamboo table and chairs after seeing your work and it looks great -but i think that "thingamajig" would have helped--it was a lot of spraying and sometimes getting behind, around etc it was a little hard to hold on to the can-thanks again
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5208658

I bet your table and chairs turned out great Linda! If you plan on doing more of the painting, that sprayer is a great "investment". Investment in fatigue of the trigger finger, anyhow! HAHAHAHA I find it's well worth the little expense it cost me. Look for it at your hardware stores.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5209150

Wow, so that's what I could do with those old rusty birdcages...thanks! Wonderful critters you have--that paint sure makes a world of difference!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5209200

Thanks KY! I am enjoying them so much more these days.

I'd recommend scraping off as much rust as you can before you start painting. Wash and dry the cages completely and then start painting. You'll be happier with the results than you would if you just paint over the crusty old rust. The paint should prevent any new rust from forming.

Good Luck!

Janet
dietelbug
Claremont, CA

July 7, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5218536

This is GREAT! I'm moving to a yard with lots of statuary that's looking very tired. Nothing like some paint to change the mood. I have a Loch Ness (we call her Nessy) and she could use some metallic to really make her 8' of shoulders & head shine!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5218573

Love to see a photo of Nessy when done.

I haven't decided on colors for the chairs yet but everywhere I look outdoors, I see things I can paint... Are you sure you are being paid a commission? LOL!!
614longfellow
Mount Airy, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5218712

What wonderful ideas you have - many of which I'm ready to apply to my own tired old creatures! I was wondering what technique you used on the bust and on "The Thinker", as I'd like to try that first. I've never been what one would call artistic, so I can't tell just by looking... Thanks for your input!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2008 4:17 PM
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5219308

dietelbug, Nessy sounds like a wonderful creature to have in the yard. This paint would really give her new life and make heads turn. 8 ft. is quite tall and I can't wait to see this when you get it painted. You are welcome to post some photos of before and after. This article was inspired by a thread I started in the Trash to Treasure Forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865894/ That might be an easier place to post the photos. They'd be quite welcome there.

Pod, I don't get any kind of commission from RustOleum. I did write to them and let them know how much I appreciated their Hammered Metal paint. Who knows? Maybe they'll send me a coupon for a can of paint. HAHAHAHA
I noticed on the RustOleum website that the Hammered Metal paint comes in quite a variety of colors. It also comes in a brush on paint. That may work better in some applications that the spray can of paint. Now get busy on those chairs so we can see them. And like I told dietelbug, post the photos in that thread so we can see the before and after shots.

614longfellow, I started with the bronze paint and covered the whole surface on both David and on the Thinker. Once that was almost dry, I sprayed the copper very lightly, leaving some of the bronze showing, and then did the same with the gold. Think about how highlights work on hair, where the stylist uses several colors and "mix" them to achieve the lights. Personally, I think the combination of colors makes it look much more elegant that just using one color. Also, by having all of the art have that same "look", it makes for consistency in the yard. The metallic colors don't detract from the plants that are close by. I hope you too will post photos of before and after. It really is easy. I don't consider myself artistic enough to paint a scene on anything without embarrassing myself, but I can spray paint 'til the cows come home! HAHAHAHA

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article, again libellule 9 Jul 7, 2008 2:45 PM
Three Thumbs up! Eufaula 3 Jul 5, 2008 5:38 PM
Pushing me... Sheila_FW 5 Jul 5, 2008 8:33 PM
(re)painting garden art ifferd 3 Jul 8, 2008 4:52 PM
Thanks for the article!!!! DriftingDude 4 Jul 8, 2008 10:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America