Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: old sewing machine cabinet

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 29, Views: 662
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

July 5, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5208032

Found this in someone dumpster. Want to mosiac it someday but have no idea where to start and dont want to mess it up. Just thought i would share Linda

Thumbnail by lindawin58
Click the image for an enlarged view.

scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5210446

Hey Linda That is a nice cabinet. I think it would be awesome with a mosaic on it and I think you can do it. Don't worry about messing up, we all do from time to time but you will never know if you do not try. I have one similar and I love the idea and when we get our house built I am going to try one too. I don't have space to work now but will soon I hope. Thanks for the inspiration I had not thought of the mosaic.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 6, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5212028

I agree with scraps, just give it try... take off all the knobs and metal decorations, if you have to level that front part, you could use mastic to make it level and just start putting items you want tiles, marbles, etc... or have a theme in mind, or color/colors.. once you do one, the next one will be a breeze... you don't have anything to lose and lots of satisfaction when it is done. I'm just making one also and I haven't a clue as to what I'm going to do next. You can paint or stain the legs when you are done ... don't forget to post photos... it will turn out great.

does it have a hole in the bottom? you may have to nail a board there to close it and it will keep the pots in.. I don't have a sewing cabinet, but I think the old ones had a hole.

lindawin58
Ewing, NE

July 7, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5214863

Gourd, Im really going to ask some silly ?s here, but watching all your post, I think your the one I need to talk to.
Ihave no idea where to start. So this is what im thinking I do. Please let me know.
Clean furniture up, take knobs off, Ok now im lost lol. What do i break my glass up with. And wont they have shape edges? And what am I gluing them down with? The grout? Do I spread grout then paste. Do I leave spaces between each piece or fit them next to each other. Like I said I have some silly ?s Linda
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5215247

To really be honest with you, I've only grouted a couple of items.. two of them were bowling balls, and a birdbath, the rest I've read up on.

This is what I would do if I were you...

Do not use any broken bottle glass, it curves and is really hard to get it to lay flat, so there will be sharp edges and it is just too dangerous (unless you tumble the glass and take off the sharp edges, but then you still have to deal with the curving of the glass). You don't want to have to worry and be careful everytime you get company or you just want to move the table somewhere. Are you going to use it as a planter or do you want a table top?

Look for some leftover pieces of tile or flat marbles, globs, buttons, I even thought of putting in a couple of picture frames that have nice decorations and putting a family photo in under the glass before I glue it in. Beads, shells, rocks, stained glass pieces, etc.. will all work .

Use GE silicone II that they sell by the tube like a caulking tube, you may need a couple of tubes and a caulking gun, it is really easy to use too. Just a dab on each thing you decide to glue onto the cabinet.. they sell this at Lowes and HD.. 3.50 or so a caulking size tube.

As for grouting your item, get the grout that you mix with water only.. the other is too confusing and costs alot more... also if you have a restore there, go there, they have a ton of scrap tiles for just cents, some are up to 75 cents, but that is still good.. you can break those, or break any old dishes you don't want anymore and use those..

I put the dishes inside a paper sack, and then put the papersack in another plastic sack... then use a heavy duty hammer (outside on concrete) and break them.. I try to make the pieces small so that they can be put all around whatever design I put on there.

It is best to have something in mind before you start so that you don't get frustrated.. look at photos and have all of your materials ready to go so that you are not missing anything you need.

I used mastic to glue the tiles and beads on the planter box I am working on, this is the first time i use this and just wanted to know what it was like.. I like it and I could probably tile the whole yard with one gallon bucket, (well not really) but it seems to go a long way.

Remember, before you grout, be sure to know how to take the grout off and when you get to that part, just ask for help here or the mosaic forum..

The closer you get your pieces the better the grout and the table will look.. if you need more smaller pieces to fit into the crevices, just take your stuff outside and hit it with the hammer again and make them smaller.. I do that a couple of times when i need smaller pieces..

I even used chopsticks to make dragon flies..

I sure hope I helped .. these are my first attempts also..

Edited to add this link: this is where I'm attempting to make a Planter box out of a dough box..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869360/

This message was edited Jul 6, 2008 8:10 PM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5215272

Gourd, you are a good instructor. Best of luck Linda, you can do it.
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

July 7, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5215396

Gourd, thank you so much!! It is starting to make sense now.Im going to use it for a planter. Going to start collecting my stuff. Thanks again.You Are Great!! Linda
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5218119

you can do it... and thank you..

Faye, what are your thoughts on grouting glass? I found it to be challenging to say the least on that birdbath I worked on. The whole time I was afraid to cut myself.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5225834

You do such great work, but I love that little table the way it is. I have my mom's old sewing cabinet (no machine) and don't know if I want to do something with it or just leave it as is. It has drawers down the right side and the top opens to where a machine goes. Decisions, they are so hard for me. I love the doughbox/sewing box that Gourd is working on.
Pegi
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5405149

Oh my Gourd, I'm so sorry I'm just getting back to this thread, and you won't be here for awhile. When I grout over glass, I use leather gloves and have had no problem.
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

August 12, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5405231

You can used stained glass for you mosaics. One method is to put the glass in a pillowcase & gently hit the glass with a hammer until you have the size of glass pieces you want. At this point, the edges of the glass will be sharp. Simply put them in a plastic container with liquid dishwashing soap & shake for a few minutes. Pour the glass out into a strainer (not to be used for food again), rinse off, dry & you have smoothed down the sharp edges of the glass.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
10:38 AM

Post #5407439

Thanks for that, Mazda. I never knew that there was an easy way.
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

August 13, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5408375

You are welcome. I'm glad I finally had something to contruibute here!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5410089

Mazda, goodness, thank you for that easy tip. I will certainly be using it.
Faye
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

August 13, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #5410256

You are welcome. I shake my little container a little hard, but it really works great!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5410307

When I thought about it, the old sewing machine cabinet could be used for a bathroom vanity. My Sister has an old dresser in hers and it just seems too heavy and dark. A sewing machine cabinet seems perfect.
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

August 13, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5410386

That is a good idea!
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

August 25, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5467459

Instead of mosiac, I decided to do this Linda

Thumbnail by lindawin58

jessi323
Newell, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5467485

Oh Linda that turned out great!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 26, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5467525

Linda, I really think your sewing machine cabinet is so pretty. I thought leave it as is, but I just couldn't picture it turning out so neat. My imagination sure does need a jump start.
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

August 26, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5467570

Thanks so much ladies. Thoes arent the flower pots I want in there. Next year it will be prettier with e the purple an pink pots, I got after I had potted all my flowers. Linda
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5469509

Awesome! Love what you did with that piece.
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

August 26, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5469628

That is awesome, Linda!
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

August 26, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5471616

Thank You, Thank you. I enjoy this site sooooooooooo much. Lots of Great ideas!! Linda
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5471666

That is not pressure treated wood . I hope you sealed it really well or the wood will collect moisture and swell and could start rotting the wood. I would even seal the bottom of the legs. I would just hate to see something that beautiful get ruined. Beautiful job!!!
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

August 27, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5471958

yes i sealed it very well
Linda
lindawin58
Ewing, NE

September 30, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7120192

I added something else to this, Linda

Thumbnail by lindawin58

lindawin58
Ewing, NE

September 30, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7120491

This is what the top was before

Thumbnail by lindawin58

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7121126

That looks so great, I really love it!
nanaka
Webster, WI

September 30, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7121388

This turned out great! I love the way you have it painted up. Giving me lots of ideas...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America