Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning: The twinkle is all about dating...

Communities > Forums > Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning
bookmark
Forum: Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug LearningReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sghatdaves
Shelton, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5216889

I have been fascinated with lightning bugs since I was that child collecting them in a jar. (think circa 1940)

On this site: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/insect/firefly.htm , the matter of the WHY of the lights is discussed in easy lay (no pun intended) terms. for example:
"The male firefly of the species Photinus pyralis, beams a single half-flash during a forward rising flight movement. It looks like the letter "J." The female responds with a single flash. Another species, Photinus consumilis, signals his mate with a rapid succession of flashes. She responds with two beams. In general, males will not fly down to a female that sends the wrong species signal. But, some females of differing species have evolved the ability to mimic the response flashes of species other than their own. As the male flies down to a mimicking female, he is captured and eaten, gulp!"

A good selection of scientific info can be gleaned by doing a web search using the words: "fireflies mating signals".

I can remember lying of a summer night in the hammock with a pen light, seeing how much allure I could fake for the amorous bugs flying about.

Smiling at the memory...Susan

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #5216985

Thanks for the information. And happy to help bring a smile. Why have we never thought of trying to fake them out? that would be neat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cute onewish1 3 Jul 5, 2008 1:28 PM
Lightning bugs tommyr2006 19 Jul 6, 2008 2:57 AM
Use plastic jars when kids are around... tomtedbear 1 Jul 7, 2008 5:42 PM
fireflies jpayne4246 1 Jul 8, 2008 12:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America