-
AuthorContent
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5216911

There is just something about rain water that plants like. I could water with the hose every day, and not see improvements like this. We've actually gotten rain for about 20 minutes a pop 3-4 times in the last week, and the gourd vines are taking off!

This pic is of the spinner gourd seedlings I planted in the pot just about 2 weeks ago - the leaves are HUGE!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5216916

Out of desperation, I planted 6 short handle dipper seeds in this pot last weekend . . . even though I'm not sure there is enough time in the season . . . maybe I'll get lucky.

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5216919

The Apple gourd vines are starting to turn green and branch out . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5216925

But not as much as the Bushel Basket gourds!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5216926

Here's a closeup of where a side branch is going . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5216930

The Swan gourd vines in the front yard are doing a bit better, too . . . I'll take a picture of them tonite after work. I'm still in my pajamas, and don't want to go out front covered in penguins . . .
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5223074

Ain't it the truth, Syrumani! Yours look very hopeful. Rain is not only not full of the chemicals we treat our drinking water with, but lightening releases nitrogen. Glad you're getting rain. It rained all around me over the weekend, but I didn't get a single drop. (Pout pout pout.)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5223423

Bridg...I join you in the pout...I have had some rain...but normally it can pour over at my DD's 2 miles away and sprinkle here...I only have a Swan Gourd planted this year...nothing has set yet though...have had some male flowers. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5224621

Hmm. Now why would this be a particularly bad year for gourds? I wonder if the folks at Amish Gourds are having a problem. I could be remembering badly, but it seems to me I had a lot better going on this time last year.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5224844

Is it possible we are being too impatient? I'll have to check my pix at home for dates from last year. Seems to me that alot of the bigger gourds didn't start developing until end of summer for a few in this forum. But still . . .

Now, I AM sure that there is something wrong with the soil (clay) in my yard, so that is part of it. Another part is the lack of rain up to this point . . . we are way behind for the year.
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #5239630

Brigidlily, Syrumani:

I, too, have been having an extremely "bad year" with my gourds' progress. And THIS, having started them INDOORS (in peat pots) 6 weeks ahead of in-the-ground planting this past first week of MAY...

I DID look at my pics from last summer: by the 4th of July I had actual (some 7 to 10 inches tall already!) GOURDS going, not just a couple potential (and subsequently FAILED) female blossoms/gourdlets by the 10th!!!
My garden plot was LUSH and thick with vines and blossoms that had me hand-pollinating EVERY NIGHT and THAT was in late JUNE last year...
We're going into the middle of JULY, here in Central Illinois, and I have YET to see ONE potential baby gourd... ;-(

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow of the "last year/this year" thing I'm dealing with, to help illustrate...
I would also be interested, as the two of you, to know if this is a NATIONAL problem, or just a few areas...?

jip

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5251084

Well, we haven't had rain since last week, and we won't be getting rain for at least another week. So, I hope things continue to go well . . .

Remember the bushel vines that had a branch going up and around the bakers rack? Well, not ony were there two more vines growing up, but another vine was attaching itself to the screen on the window! I had been chatting with my sister online - told her I was going outside for a few minutes, and it was over an hour later when I came back in!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5251095

Here's the new front view of the bakers rack.

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5251102

Couldn't leave out a pic of the window . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5251108

All 6 seeds of the short handle dippers have sprouted . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5251115

The longest of the apple vines have gotten to about 10' . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5251126

In just a week, look at the spinner gourd vines!!!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5262137

Tell me that this looks like a female flower in the making! I have got to grow these next year, too! They're growing fast!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5262145

It's got more flowers on the way . . . hopefully some males! It's weird that I got a female first . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5262156

This is my first attempt at hand pollinating - on the bushel gourds . . . not sure if it worked . . . pretty sure all the pollen when flying when I peeled the petals. In the 2 nights since I tried, there's only been male flowers out there!

I'm wondering if it isn't time to trim the longest vines, to encourage side branches. They're only about 10', the longest ones. I'm thinking if I don't, would there be enough time in the season for any gourds that do grow to get to full size?

Thumbnail by Syrumani

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5262915

I'd snip the vines for sure. Yes, that's a female flower! They really are weird this year.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5289867

I went ahead and snipped the longest vines the other day . . .

Here is a picture of the above bushel gourd I attempted to hand pollinate, just a few days ago . . . there is one next to it in this pic that I didn't see the other day . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5289871

Here is a picture of it this morning! I'm going to start taking a pic of it each week, just to monitor its progress! The one next to it is starting to get icky looking.

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5289880

Here is the apple gourd I hand pollinated the other day. May as well keep an eye on it, too!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5289905

I have about 4 wee Swan Gourds forming up on one vine...but I haven't seen any male flowers for a while...so I doubt they are going to make it...unless the any hill near by has found a way to help Ma Nature out a little. I love Apple Gourds...I hope all yours make it. I'm getting ready to send your Big Gourd seeds. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5289918

I'll get the $$ in the mail to you tomorrow! Unless I can send paypal?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5289933

It's only $2.00 for the seeds and maybe a $1.00 for postage...just stick $3.00 in a card...also...he gave me 5/$1.00...so you'll get 10 seeds for the $2.00. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #5313403

Well, I have some activity as well. Here is a little bench I stuck out of the way for a minute and it became a fairy garden --

Thumbnail by brigidlily

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5313409

-- and the vine that volunteered behind it:

Thumbnail by brigidlily

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5313413

A banana that decided to grow:

Thumbnail by brigidlily

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5313419

And this baby growing up the back fence:

Thumbnail by brigidlily

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5313428

Here is the vine up the back fence. I noticed it was growing over the fence and peeked back there -- there is a HUGE length of this vine growing around the base of my back neighbors' tree! I need to go over there and introduce myself and explain what it is and (I guess) offer to get it out of their back yard if they want me to. Who knows? They might like it.

Edited to say that's a melon vine growing in the foreground.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 2:51 PM

Thumbnail by brigidlily

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5313586

Oh, my, brigidlily! They are looking fantastic! The baby growing on the back fence, though, looks like it will get pretty heavy . . . do you have a system ready to support heavy gourds? You could go over and introduce yourself . . . or you could cut the vine at the top of your fence to encourage side vines . . . I really need to look into those cattle panels . . .
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5313696

Every time I look at that nice big one I realize I need to go in and sacrifice a pair of pantyhose to make a hammock for it before it damages its own stem. Nothing I like better than getting rid of pantyhose!

I hate to just cut the vine because 1) they might like it there and 2) they would then have a dead vine, which I would feel obliged to go clean up. So I think I'll mosey on over and explain who I am and what it is. They're an older couple so I doubt they'll shoot on sight. ;}

The cattle panels are great -- last year I had them in a big arch and they were GREAT for growing gourds and luffas. It was like having a little magical room outdoors; very cool and humming with bees in the morning. (I like bees, and I'm not allergic to them so of course I don't get stung... knock on wood...)
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5313722

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/701125/

That's a link to a thread with a picture of the cattle panel arch before much had grown on it. It's about 3/4 of the way down the thread.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5313849

I remember seeing that thread last year! Could be that was one reason I went to McCoy's to find some . . . that thread, and there was one other . . . oh, well.

At least we're starting to see some action this year!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #5313887

Yes, I've run short of patience this year! Need to grow some...
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5325096

Yes, even the swan vines are improving enough to actually have the gourd I hand pollinated like 2 weeks ago to appear to actually be a bit bigger!

I must now remove those cactus (cactii?) that it is growing over . . . they are called Agave lopantha . . . pretty enough to look at, but they will hurt! They've got leaf edges that will catch and poke, and the point on the tip . . . oi! I poked the back of my hand on one last year, and no kidding . . . when I pulled my hand away, it was a gyser! Took 5 minutes of real good pressure to stop the bleeding . . . and the bruise was there for aLONG time! Anyway . . .

It just took me 20 minutes to pull about 8-9 tiny (ok, 8" or so) plants away from the base of the big ones - in that clump. I'll tackle the big ones tomorrow (thank goodness for the atlas glove coop a few months ago - the pokes could have been alot worse!). I must risk pokage, in order to save my gourd!

I tried to sell the agave lopantha on craigslist . . . got a few inquiries, but no takers (I wonder if it's because I said they'd have to dig them up themselves? . . . I did say I'd supply the shovel!).

I'm not one to use the word hate much . . . but I would be a happy person if these things never crossed my line of vision ever again!!! They are like weeds, here! They've got tap(?) roots that go for feet underground . . . and send up little ones that grow their own long roots . . . please, please - if ANYONE grows these THINGS, please keep them contained!! At least the nimrod that planted the first one kept them enclosed between the house and the sidewalk . . .

Ok, don't want to hijack my own thread with the rant on these horrid plants . . . I'll post pictures tomorrow of some of the darned roots . . .

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 9:45 PM

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5326842

I think that for only being planted from seed just 5 weeks ago, to have a full size gourd already is pretty good!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5326846

There are also a few that are half size . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5326855

This apple has changed to the pretty green speckled pattern . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5326870

One more of the apple . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5326880

Now for the bushel! It's gotten pretty big in just a week!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5326892

Maybe in next weeks pix I'll put a soda can or something . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5327426

I see a night raid in the future...anyhone for a raid in San Antonio??

Nice job...Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5327736

Hmm. Maybe if I had grown some banana gourds, I could prepare some "fruit salad" for your raid!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5327984

Just keep the dogs in the house at night...LOL Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5328028

I've only got the one, and if she were even inclined to get up (which is harder for her now - she'll be 13 in September), she'd probably lick you instead . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5328504

How precious. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5332363

Beautiful baby, Sy, and you're gourds are looking great. I did put a pair of pantyhose on that bushel growing up the back fence, and just in time. I went out there this morning and it has to be suddenly 15" diameter. HEAVY! Keep all fingers crossed, please.

Is that agave the one they make tequila from? If so, count me in on that raid, Jo!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5332844

No, it's not that one . . . otherwise I wouldn't dislike it so much!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5341442

I planted only one gourd plant this year...a Swan Gourd...I have ONE that is a decent size...Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5341462

I have about 5 on one vine this size...I hope they make it. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5341656

Jo - that's great! It seems like everyone is starting to get something!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5346817

I just went out and inspected the swan vines - which is hard to do because they're behind the horrid cactus things, in a rock filled area, and right outside DD window! I found a gourd! It's approx. 2" . . . I can't find my camera, but I will take a picture tomorrow. There is also 2 female flowers . . . one may be a day old . . . and another one getting ready to open - maybe tomorrow. And no males in sight! Where are the guys when you need them?!? Anyway . . . off to borrow some males from the apples and bushels . . .
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5347897

Here she is!

Every single flower or bud I see on the swan vines are female . . . I'm wondering if I should start another vine or two just for the males? I suppose I could "borrow" 1-2 males per week from the apples and bushels . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5348360

Sy, you do know that if you fertilize them from another variety their seeds won't be true, don't you? I mean, these will be swans but if you plant their seeds they'll be -- what? swapples? swashels?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5348406

And that would be ok with me! Yes, I know. I just couldn't decide which gourds to grow this year, so I am just growing gourds. I have seeds set aside for each variety, so when I do decide which ones to grow next year, I can still grow them . . . without having to worry about swashels or bushans . . . ^_^
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5348431

Groovy.

That bushel growing up my fence is getting gi-normous. Hope the pantyhose holds, and it doesn't bring the cattle panel down off the fence! I'll take a picture soon.

Jo, how are those swans holding up?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5349056

Slow...but hopefully...sure!

SY...are these any of the seeds I sent out...just wanting to know if they germinated or fnot. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5349121

I'll have to check when I get home on the apple gourds . . . the TN spinners I cracked open a spinner I had purchased off ebay and used those . . . the swans I got from Wuvie . . . the bushels I got from onalee . . . I know you sent me snake seeds, but I ran out of space for them! I suppose it's really not too late . . . what's the worst that could happen? I'd have to take them inside to finish curing . . . hmm . . . ^_^

Then there's the giant seeds . . . I am going to hold off on those until next year, though!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5349326

OK...Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5350757

It's a lie! The name of my thread is all wrong!

I just got home from work, and was outside doing some hand watering . . . I was out adjusting my baby gourds, so that maybe someday they will be able to sit by themselves . . . I was adjusting my baby bigun . . . AND SAW THIS!!!! What could do this? Too much water, not enough?

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5351480

Bad gene? I really don't know...and I hurt for you...

I got your mail today...Thanks! Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5353393

Wish I could give you a gourd hug, Sy. Several of mine have done that, and I have no idea why. You know my really big one hanging on the fence? Three others on that same vine just collapsed and rotted, and they had gotten bigger than a softball so it wasn't for lack of fertilization. I did a gourd autopsy and didn't find a critter or anything. I don't know if it just got too dadgum hot, or what. BUT keep in mind the same vine has produced gourdgantua. I'm hoping those pantyhose hold.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5353608

I went back out after I put the kids to bed last night . . . it was very sad . . . put a damper on my whole evening . . . couldn't even get into working on my gourd project, now that I can . . .

When I get home this afternoon, I'll go cut it off, so that the vines can concentrate on growing new ones, instead of that one. Am also going to figure a better way to water, in case that is part of the problem . . .
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5356024

It's still a mystery how my little ones on the only 2 vines I have are making "babies" and I haven't seen a male flower yet!

Another Immaculate Conception? Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5356057

Well, that would make for pure swan seeds, wouldn't it?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5356063

LOL They all look like Swans. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5386027

Progress! My picture up there in the middle, of the vine growing up the back fence -- here is an update, with the gourd hammocked in some pantyhose. I love sacrificing pantyhose to the gourd gods...

Thumbnail by brigidlily

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5386032

And here is a closeup, with a little plant marker stuck in the pantyhose so you can gauge the size:

Thumbnail by brigidlily

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5387609

NICE! If you run out of panty hose I will be glad to donate some to "the cause" Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5387782

It looks as if you have another one off to the left . . . half hiding behind a leaf . . .
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5398877

I had hopes for the one to the left, but it's collapsing. Couldn't tell until I got close. :( But the biggun was getting so heavy I stuck a ladder underneath it -- you know, that shelf you put paint cans on. It slipped out of the hose twice and I was afraid that was really jarring the vine. You really find out how coordinated you are (or not!) wrestling a ladder over uneven ground and getting what feels like an 80-pound gourd onto that shelf!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5398990

Why didn't you yell? I would have helped! LOL Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5399055

I did yell. You had your dremel going and couldn't hear me. ;}
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5399064

Awww shucks...Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5413597

Here's the ladder that's beautifying my garden...

Thumbnail by brigidlily

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5413806

Oh how I wish I could get gourds to grow. I plant4ed 18 seeds this spring 1 came up and it croaked. I may have over watered it.
I just knew I could do wonders with gourds at the coast and everyone here has gourds that look great(even in panty hose).LOL

Lavina
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5414099

Keep trying! You may just have had dud seeds. I know both Jo and I would be glad to share; seeds I've bought in packets have never worked as well as ones I've gotten straight out of gourds -- or Jo!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5414122

I sent her seeds...I think!

NC is a great place for gourds...keep trying...and they do like a lot of water. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5414205

I'm jealous . . . how are the vines on the other side of the fence?
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5414443

Jo yelp you sent me seeds but I think I am doing something wrong. I gave a neighbor 2 seeds and he has a small gourd . he said he never waters it just lets the rain take care of it.

Lavina
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5414712

WOW! He is quite lucky too. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5417642

Lavina, I've found the key to be benign neglect. If you mess with them, they will snub you. If you say, to h#&& with it and turn your back, all of a sudden you have gourds. Try it next spring.

Sy, I can't get a good look at the gourds on the other side of the fence, and my neighbors never did respond to the note I left, so I have no idea what's going on over there. Oh, well.

I do have about a dozen banana gourds on the vines I planted in pots, but I'm ignoring them. I'll report when/if I harvest.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5430372

I will try all the advice I can get. Now just to aquire more seeds and think positive.LOL

Lavina
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5469902

My "biggun" is still heavy as can be. The vine is dying; is there still a decent chance for this prize to ripen?

Thumbnail by brigidlily

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5470380

Oh My! That thing is huge! I would think that as long as biggun stays green - even though the vines look like they're dying - to keep it hooked up. It could be that all the vines energy is going into the gourd, instead of keeping itself green . . .
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5470497

I'm leaving it completely alone! I heft it now and then to make sure it's still heavy, but I don't disturb the vine at all. No danger of frost, that's for sure, so it will sit there on the ladder until it's either ripe or rotten! I'm pulling for ripe.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5471090

OK I am gonna get some seeds somewhere and try again in the spring..

Lavina
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5473956

You're on the right site, Lavina!!!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5492027

I finally went out and cleared out my "space" in the back yard. It only took about 3 hours! On the Apple and Bushel vines, I cut them way back . . . if there were scraggly vines w/no gourds, they got pulled. On the existing vines, there were some that I cut off after a certain point.

I knew about 2 of the bushels . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5492030

But this one was a suprise!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5492038

For those of you who have grown any of the handle dipper gourds . . . at what point in the development process do they start showing the handles? Here is one I noticed a few days ago . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5517816

Do you remember the 18 SHD seedlings I had at the beginning of the season? They were the ones that were planted along one fence, and none got bigger that a foot or so, except in this one section. I had given up on them all weeks ago - pulled the soaker hose and everything . . .

These vines kept growing at a fairly slow pace, but they stayed green, so I didn't have DH mow them . . . Last night I was looking at these particular vines . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5517822

There are 5 or 6 if these little babies . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #5517829

But the real surprise was on the neighbor side of the fence . . . this one is (I'm guessing!) about 8" . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5517836

brigidlily - How is your "biggun" doing?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5524154

Wow, Sy! Is your neighbor going to let you have the gourd?

Well, the vine the biggun is on was one that crept over to MY neighbor's yard. I'd left them a note to which they never responded, and one day found they had had their yard guys remove it. Ok, that's fine. But biggun's vine started dying from that end, and I think that's where it has been getting its nutrition. The "stem" is brown but the gourd is still heavy -- I don't know whether it will ripen or rot. Time will tell. I'll be very disappointed if after all this time (and not doing my back any good by wrestling it onto a ladder for support) it can't make it because they like a tidy yard. :( Not their fault, of course, but who knew the roots in their yard would be why the gourd in my yard grew? Ah, well.

I really had plans for that baby. Maybe it will make it. I hope your new babies have time to make it to gourdhood!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5525011

Maybe it's a signal for season ending, not just the roots being cut . . . the vines on my spinners are turning brown, too. I also noticed this morning on the bushel vines I have, that the one gourd I found last weekend . . . while it is still round, the vine itself is also turning brown. I'm wondering if - when I started seeds this spring - that I mixed the label for bushels & cannonballs . . . this one gourd is just the right size for a cannonball. If I remember, I'll take a cannonball that I bought last year and take a pic of them together when I get home tonite.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5533548

Well, I took a picture of the stem end this morning. Time will tell, but I'm not really happy with the way this looks. Y'all keep your fingers crossed, please.

Thumbnail by brigidlily

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5533566

Eyes crossed too...Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5533597

Thanks! That should help! ;}
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5641496

Ok, brigidlily, time for an update!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5642808

Hey! Still sitting there, getting moldy and the brown area is increasing. It's still quite heavy, but definitely lighter than it was. The part that was kind of going in doesn't seem to be a collapse area. I'm assuming it's better off there than it would be anywhere else, so I'm just leaving it alone. I fail to see how it could be getting any nutrition from that dead vine, though.

Odd thing is, I see those d@#^&d cucumber beetles every time I look at it. I've gotten over any squeamishness when it comes to those bugs. I squash them with my bare hands. Grrrrrrrrr... I just know they're laying eggs, and I can't find them. I'm looking, though!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5642873

Oh, I do so dislike those japanese cucumber beetles! I've seen them on my gourd vines, and they just love the morning glories. But, you know what? In a totally different forum, someone told me about this: http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Rose-Flower-Care/concentrate.html as a way to control other pests. Take a look at what it kills . . . I am going to get a bottle this weekend!

It may be too late to use in the season, but look what I've been watching for the past few weeks! I haven't said anything (not even to DH), 'cause I didn't want to jinx it! The vine it is on is nice and green, and so far no evidence of bug damage . . . so, I'll give it a dose anyway!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5650846

I'm trying not to use chemicals at all, but I have in the past. I used Bayer 3-in-one and it worked well. I've never used the all-in-one but heard it did not work as well. Note that it does not FEED for 6 weeks. It's a systemic and will get rid of the pests. I find Dr. Bronner's soap (diluted!) will get rid of the bugs.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5651165

Oh, but that's what I want . . . to get rid of the pests! I will look into the Dr. Bronner's soap, too!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5682763

Here is an updated pic of my bushel gourd . . . last weekend it measured at 25", Tuesday it was at 29", and last night it was at 31 1/2"!!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5711313

Weekly update . . . measured this morning at 33 1/2" around, and 30 1/2" around vertical.

brigidlily - how is yours doing?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5711507

I haven't measured it, but since the vine was completely dead after the hurricane, I picked it and put it on the patio. It is developing a nice mold covering, and I hope it will mature. It's still so big and heavy I have serious doubts, but time will tell.

Yours looks FANTASTIC!!!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5758713

Just an update -- things are looking hopeful for my biggun. It's no longer green, it's nice and moldy all over, and it's hard and losing weight! Yay! Keep crossing those fingers!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5759182

Oh, I think you have passed the danger zone! WooHoo!!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #5963231

Here is a pic of my "biggun". I had to clip the vine last month, when we had almost a week of "freezing" nights. I had the vine stuck in some water until it dried up. Now, it's just a waiting game!

How did yours fair, brigidlily?

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #5964490

Nice'un...Jo
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #5964859

Syrumani:

I had about four of these bushels like yours last year, and, the way yours looks, it's already 'curing' from the inside out now... Make sure the 'shell' is HARD, with no 'cushy' or rubbery areas, and then you can try this, for peace of mind (OR a headstart on the remaining curing process!):

Take and make a small 'scratch' on the the green surface with your index or thumbnail, somewhere discreet so it won't show up later as a 'streak'. At first, it should look pale greenish color where you scratched it. Give it a couple days, then check the 'scratch': it SHOULD look nice and GOLDEN there now (the shell under the skin, exposed by the 'scratch')! This is always great news, because it means your gourd is in the 'home stretch', and relatively assured to HARDEN into crafting medium! No more worrying, crossing your fingers, etc... :-)

I actually prefer to scrape the whole gourd at this point, giving it a bleach bath both before and after, to hasten the curing. This process makes for a more spot-design-free, golden shell (which I prefer on the LARGER bushel gourds) than the standard 'gone to mold' finishing. However, mold WILL till develope over the next few weeks, and you would have to keep mopping the shell off with a bleach solution every few days to inhibit any potential late-stage 'rot'. For me, it's worth the extra work... see my bushel gourd, 2007 crop, done this way, last winter:

Thumbnail by jipsi

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #5965074

Thanks for the hints, jipsi. I check it every few days, and change it's position on the cushion. No dips, etc. so far, so hopefully things will be ok! I'll do the scratch tonite. I have 3 others I'd like to do, too. Just not bushel ones . . .
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #5969775

I was surprised mine made it! I don't have a photo on me, but it dried just fine. From thumping it, I suspect the shell is a little thinner than I'd have liked, but I didn't order that hurricane, just endured it.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 25, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6188425

Syrumani,

GUESS what I found this morning, after going through five boxes? the Devil's Claw seeds! They are from 2004, so I don't know if they will germinate, but you are welcome to have them if you still want them.. send me your address, mine is no longer on the exchange, so I cannot look yours up. They look really hard, and someone once told me to make sure to cut the outer coat (like we do the mgs) then soak, but, I think if you soak overnight first, then nick the coat, it won't damage the inside.

Antoinette
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 25, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6188656

I have seen those devil claws for sale on ebay. btw.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6188703

I did get some seeds in the mail just the other day for the devil's claw from Sonoita in AZ. But, thanks for remembering, A!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 25, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6189502

That's great, good thing too, these are so darned old. Let me know when you sow them and how you plan to germinate them, I may try a couple of these. I also found all my other vine seeds and I hope they are not too old also.

TTYL.
A.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6365783

And the wait continues . . . LOL!!! You can see (i think) where I did the scratch test in January . . . It seemed a bit lighter when I put it in the chair just a few minutes ago, but I think that is more wishful thinking than anything . . .

(sorry for the glare of the flash)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6365796

Here's a "bottom" shot . . . at least there is a little change in color . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6365865

Looking GOOD! Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America