Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Gardening Safely in Hot Weather: Heat exhaustion

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Safely in Hot Weather
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Safely in Hot WeatherReplies: 6, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emilieanne
Essex, CT

July 7, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5217124

I know this sounds silly, but it works. For the female of the species. Put an ice cube in your bra.
We used to do this while waitressing at the beach during summer vactions from college. You will not
feel it quite quickly, and it is so cooling.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5217215

I'd like to add that heat problems can come on quickly, you feel fine one minute and suddenly you don't.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5221732

Question--if you experience confusion, will you remember this later, after you feel better? I had been outside working hard, and sat down in the shade on our back porch. My mother said she came outside, and I was speaking gibberish, and acting very confused, so she ran inside and got a cool wet cloth and mopped my face with it. I do not remember any of that! I remember coming inside (after she said she came back inside to call my Dad to ask him what to do), and getting a glass of water, and telling her I was going to bed, which I did.

I don't know if I had a seizure or if it was heat-related. I used to have seizures and had surgery to stop them, but never blacked out, and they were never of that nature. Any thoughts?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5222877

I don't clearly remember about a half hour when it happened to me. Color drained from my face, I got very dizzy, couldn't focus my eyes. I don't know if I talked crazy. I wasn't able to ask for help, I do remember that. A friend who is a fireman noticed it and cooled me down quickly. One bottle of water poured on my head that wet my shirt as it ran down, a small wet towel around my neck, sip a full glass of cool water and they fanned me to speed the cooling because it was a terribly hot, humid day. He kept my clothing wet for the rest of the time we had to be outside.

Be extra careful if you start a new medicine like blood pressure meds. They can change how you handle heat.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5225522

Ooooh, thanks for that tip, Cathy! I am on blood pressure meds, and just got a stronger one recently.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6750905

Good article to repeat this time of year--thanks again for the reminders, DutchLady! Ever since my episode I bring an insulated cold bottle of water and my cell phone with me, as I work quite far from the house sometimes. Never had another problem like that since.
gardeningana
Beaverton, OR

June 30, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6760218

In an emergency, you can put ice packs on the back of the neck, in the armpits and groin area of the person suffering. On one occasion me head was so hot it heated up the cool shower water to hot. Quite amazing how hot one's head can get. I've also earned not to wear dark colored hats on hot sunny days, as this is a sure way for my head to get too overheated.

The ice pack on the neck gave immeadiate results when I used it. Stay well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Safely in Hot Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
a very good and timely article Dutchlady1 12 Aug 15, 2010 6:38 AM
Heat Exhaustion margemcm 0 Jul 9, 2009 7:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America