Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning: Use plastic jars when kids are around...

Communities > Forums > Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning
bookmark
Forum: Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug LearningReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tomtedbear
Chicago, IL

July 7, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5217141

Before I was born, my brother was running through the house with a glass jar clutched tightly to his chest. He stumbled and fell and the broken shards of the jar went straight into his heart. My parents never really got over his death. Naturally, my sister and I were never allowed to "play" with glass at all. When we collected lightening bugs, we had to keep them cupped in our hands while we delivered them to the front porch where our parents had the glass jars safely in hand. Today there are many products that come in clear plastic jars that would be perfect to hold lightening bugs (plus, it's easier to make air holes through the plastic than in a metal lid). When spring is approaching, be sure to save a few plastic jars or bottles just for this use.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2008 5:49 PM

This message was edited Jul 7, 2008 5:50 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5218438

tomtedbear,
I am deeply sorry for your family's loss. As a parent now, I don't think I would ever get over it either. Thank you for the important safety reminder. I will add a safety note to the article.

Families with kids can go through a lot of peanut buttter, which all now comes in great plastic jars. Mayo jars too are plastic now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Twinkle Twinkle Buggy Star, How We Wonder... Lightning Bug Learning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cute onewish1 3 Jul 5, 2008 1:28 PM
Lightning bugs tommyr2006 19 Jul 6, 2008 2:57 AM
The twinkle is all about dating... sghatdaves 1 Jul 7, 2008 1:40 PM
fireflies jpayne4246 1 Jul 8, 2008 12:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America