Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Why aren't my roses blooming?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bethanski
Rochester, NY

July 7, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5217732

This is the second summer that I have been in my new house; two of the rosebushes are growing rapidly and appear to be flourishing leaf-wise, but have had next to no flowers. I pruned them late last fall and mulched them for the winter, and put rose fertilizer on them as soon as the snow melted for good this spring. Last year the flowers weren't particularly floriferous, but this year they're pathetic! Any ideas?

The picture below is of the larger of the two bushes - I'm not sure what variety they are, but at this point I have seen one bud turn into one flower. The other bush appears to be a grafted rose that is now about half the graft variety and half the root variety, if that could factor into the equation at all, and I've seen two buds bloom of each variety. There are no more buds on either bush.

Thumbnail by bethanski
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5218807

For older roses renewal pruning needs to be done in early spring or during the growing season, should not prune past late summer, pruning in fall promotes new cane growth that lack hardiness to survive the winter.
Deadheading throughout the season promotes new growth, unless it's on a rose that only blooms once a year. Kinda hard to id what type you have, maybe you can ask for an id on the rose forum?
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5219877

Do they get 6 hours of direct sun? It looks like the plant is reaching for light. The internodal spaces are large.
Did you prune it at least 50% this spring, assuming it's a bush rose and not a climber?
bethanski
Rochester, NY

July 8, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5225453

The bush in the picture is on a northwest facing side of the house, so I would think it gets enough sun. There's a Peace rose on the other side of that bed that is doing incredibly this year.

I will prune these roses back a bit and see if that helps them. Further suggestions are always welcome!
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5233913

We are going to be digging out two roses this year, because as you so perfectly described it, they are "pathetic" when it comes to putting out blooms - lots of leaves, lots of stems, hardly any flowers.

In contrast, we have others in the same bed, down the side of the house, that put out 25-30 blooms on a stem - it all depends on the cultivar!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America