Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: Best plant for a bathroom with no window?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 11, Views: 222
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lola_lola21
Charlotte, NC

July 7, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5219536

I would like to put a houseplant in my bathroom, but there are no windows.
I am not sure what to try.

Something small that can sit on a shelf and perhaps something bigger that can sit on the floor.

Any recomendations?

Dawns_Tropicals
Winter Springs, FL

July 8, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5220843

All plants need some sort of lighting during the day. Will you be leaving a light on at all? You may try one of those ZZ plants. They can tolerate pretty low light and like to stay on the dry side.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5221490

I have had success with "mothers-in-law tongue" aka snake plant in a bathroom. They tolerate low light and also need very little water.
Lola_lola21
Charlotte, NC

July 8, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5221527

I went to the grocery store after posting this thread and they had lots of plants for only 99 cents. I got a peace lilly, (the tag says low light) and a philodendron (also says low light)
and an unknown plant that I don't recognize (I am entirely new at plants) so I put it by the windowsill.

I hope the peace lilly and the philodendron do okay in there.

Dawns_Tropicals
Winter Springs, FL

July 8, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5221595

Yes, good luck with them
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

July 8, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #5221887

If you have no supplemental lighting (fluorescent fixture, maybe), the plant will not survive. The mother-in-laws tongue will last longer than the peace lily, but eventually it will become weak and topple over. If you have access to 99 cent plants all the time, you could just replace them when they start to dwindle, and you don't have to worry about providing necessary light. Off the subject alittle...you might want to let the water for the peace lily sit out in an open container overnight to let the chlorine evaporate. They are very suseptible to chlorine and fluoride damage.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
6:58 AM

Post #5261382

I am dead serious when I say that silk flowers or plants might be your best choice here.
If you insist on living plants, have three or four, and rotate them in and out. Keep the reserve plants in decent light- whatever is appropriate for the plant. Malls and large businesses have companies do that for them. As for leaving on a light just for the plants, I myself would find it hard to justify using the extra electricity just for that.
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

July 15, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5262042

I agree with the rotation thing mentioned above, that is the only way you can have real plants that will have a chance of surviving. I would not have the heart myself to buy plants only to throw them away when they decline and replace them with new, but alot of people do that all the time - so mean!!
Lola_lola21
Charlotte, NC

July 16, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5268699

I have another peace lilly, and I am goign to rotate them.

Although, oddly enough the plants in the bathroom are doing better than the original.

All my flowers have browned and I keep having to trim them off. I guess when the ones in the bathroom look like they are suffering I will switch them for a week or so.
kutekawanna
Minneapolis, MN

July 31, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5348313

I've had luck with a Pothos, Nephythytis and Baby Tears in my bathroom. I almost have no windows, but there is a small one in the shower. When I remember I pull back the shower curtain to let some light in but it is definately not alot!
audjea
EDMONTON
Canada

March 24, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8447934

we need some pictures,i have a plant 8 inches high with nothing but big oblong leaves lite green in centre and darker on the outside.healthy as a horse (was given to me) they didnt have a name either.any suggestions. thanks. audq@hotmail.ca
timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8450667

I agree: Light is a must. I like to take my humidity-loving plants into the bathroom with me when I take a shower, then when I leave the shower stall, I put the plants in and close the curtain on them for a half-hour.

Sometime later, though, I must put them back on their southern-facing windowsill or near a source of light since my bathroom is also dark.

I am fortunate to have my own well and do not have treated water. It's straight from the water table.

For those who have treated (city or municipal) water, the advice to let it sit awhile for evaporation of harmful substances seems solid.

In summary, it's a great idea, but you need light in the bathroom for the long-term; otherwise, just bring the plants in there for an occasionaly humidity treatment and take them back out again afterward.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America