Photo by Melody

Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters: Spray paint trash to treasure ...

Communities > Forums > Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters
bookmark
Forum: Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden CrittersReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Napergal
Naperville, IL

July 8, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5220523

All your items look gorgeous!! So much better than the bright colors that detract from the garden look!! I use a lot of terra cotta spray paint, also the "stone" look. I just wanted to add that when painting, I always put on a mask and I spray small items in a cardboard box to contain the overspray. This summer, I painted a couple of gray plastic urns black and put huge ferns in them at my front door ...than I sprayed some hanging plastic pots black also, and they are all coorindated now and very elegrant looking. One of them, I turned upside down and put a glass top on for a table between two wicker chairs. Cheap found table!! Sandy
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5220736

[quote]when painting, I always put on a mask and I spray small items in a cardboard box to contain the overspray[/quote]

This is excellent advice. Especially for anyone who might have breathing problems. Thank you for your suggestion.

I bet the coordinated planters and table look wonderful together. I haven't tried the terra cotta or the stone paints. Those will be next on my list.

Something you might want to think about though for future planters is that black planters get hotter than lighter colors. I just found that out this year. It makes sense when you think about it. Much like a black interior of a vehicle gets hotter than a lighter colored interior.

I have a black pond form that I am using for a vegetable garden. When "winter" rolls around, I am planning on painting the outside of it a lighter color. Maybe I'll try the stone color on it to dress up the sides of it. Right now it dries out very quickly. Much quicker than it should.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

July 8, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5225023

I've used the bronze/brown hammered metal paint on ratty-looking plastic pots and hanging baskets, to good effect, also. I have two very large plastic containers which has a raised vine motif around their midsection. I spray-painted the raised part sage green. No need to try to confine the green paint exactly to the raised part. After the green paint dried, I used the brown hammered metal paint, quickly dabbing the raised part with a dry, wadded cloth (paper towels didn't work). After the pots were all painted and dry, the green barely showed through, giving the pots an oxidized metal look. My neighbor obtained an old flagpole which she sprayed with the silver hammered-look paint. When she put up the flagpole, it looked new. This paint is great!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5225212

Dolly that sounds neat! I bet it looks great! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Trash to Treasure ~ Breathing New Life Into Your Garden Critters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article, again libellule 9 Jul 7, 2008 2:45 PM
Need help thinkin' "outside the box"... podster 9 Jul 7, 2008 8:38 PM
Three Thumbs up! Eufaula 3 Jul 5, 2008 5:38 PM
Pushing me... Sheila_FW 5 Jul 5, 2008 8:33 PM
(re)painting garden art ifferd 3 Jul 8, 2008 4:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America