Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Unknown Rhododendrons in zone 5... Please help!

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 6, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phoenixwomyn
Hartford, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5221036

Bought a house last year that came with two rhododendrons. One is a magenta colour with spots inside the flower that is completely unscented. It blooms in mid-spring. PIctures:

Thumbnail by phoenixwomyn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phoenixwomyn
Hartford, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5221049

Another:

phoenixwomyn
Hartford, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5221080

The second one bloomed in late spring, is a very pretty orange, and smells very nicely. I realise both plants look rather badly-off, the first looks to have salt burn, and the other was definitely in need of some TLC. They both look much happier now that their soils have been amended and they have been given some MirAcid, but i'm still wondering what their names are!

Thanks for any & all help!

Brooke

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5224497

Well, sorry I do not have an answer but the colors are very nice. Try to see if there are azaleas with the names Wow and Nice out there! :o)

If that does not help, check out this search database:

http://www.rhododendron.org/search_intro.asp
anitasgarden
Saugatuck, MI

July 27, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5328264

I'm a new member hence this late reply, but I just came upon your post.
The orange flower definitely looks like an azalea to me. I have a yellow one like it. I live next door to rosebaynursery.com and yellow rodos aren't real common. She has been trying to grow some but they aren't as hardy. You could check out her website. Has alot of photos.
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

August 10, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5395478

The orange one looks like a Northern Lights series, like 'Spicy Lights', or perhaps an Weston hybrid, like 'Weston's Golden Showers'. However, they usually bloom late: mine are just finishing. Maybe an Exbury hybrid, or a viscosum? Maybe even 'Gibraltar, except its flowers are really orange orange. There are soooo many deciduous azaleas out there!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5918646

Late in responding but I expect the red rhodo is Nova Zembla...it is pretty much the only hardy 'red' rhody in zone 5.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America