Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Annuals You Can Grow: Castor Bean etc. - warnings of toxicity

Communities > Forums > Article: Annuals You Can Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: Annuals You Can GrowReplies: 2, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5222759

I love to read these articles and always find them interesting and helpful. As a mother and pet owner whose dogs love to munch on various things in the yard, I've educated myself as to which plants are toxic and to what degree. I remember just starting out gardening and having my puppy pull out and chomp various plants which later I found having various degrees of toxicity. When I saw the Castor Bean in the picture I said to myself that's one I'd never plant. I've admired it in numerous yards in our area but know this is one I could never plant. I think it would be worth mentioning in the articles since I don't think many people would think to check the plant files before planting. Thanks.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5223691

It's perfectly safe to grow this plant - if you have dogs who are liable to chew things or young children who might be seduced by the beautiful seedpods then caution is advised. But really, if we didn't grow any plant that was "poisonous" we would have pretty poor gardens. It's the seeds of castor bean that are dangerous. You can grow it and pinch out the flowers..
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8702507

I have some castor seeds shared with me by a DG member to help against gophers, but after reading about the toxicity have been afraid to actually plant them for fear the dogs would get hold of some part of them. The dogs have not eaten any plants before, but it would be just my luck. We do have oleander planted and when the horses and goats have gotten out they have never tried to eat them. It is as if they know better.

It looks like a great looking plant too and likely better than an annual here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Annuals You Can Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Another Winner, of course! Aunt_A 2 Jul 11, 2008 8:37 PM
Our castor bean plants mamajan42 2 Jun 18, 2012 6:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America