Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Look what hatched from a guinea egg!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 107, Views: 615
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5223314

What is this cutie.? it hatched a week before the others did and I thought for sure the rest were gonners LOL waited and waited I was getting worried, while I kept this little cutie inthe bator till the others hatched, I fed and watered it in there too. Didn't want it to be by itself in the brooder box.

all the rest look like the second picture. and BTW. This was by far my best hatch rate ever, I posted awhile back that the bator was unplugged for over a day . Didn't make much difference to these chicks. Out of 3 dozen. I hatched everyone that was fertile which was l8, the rest weren't fertile. Best I ever did before.

I wish I could do chickens that good. I think my humidity hasn't ever been watched as well as it was this time, I actually had a humidity guage in the bator and I think that helped me tremendously.

The guineas are suppose to be pearl guineas. Bought the eggs at the local feedstore. for 3.00 a doz. when he sold the guineas for 5 to 8 dollars each. depending on their size.

anyways, What's this one? a half breed? ugly duckling? LOL OH the poor baby going to be so made fun of all his little life.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5223324

here's what the others looked like

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5223388

Wow, what a surprise! I'm not sure, but to me it looks like a RIR crossed with something else chick. How long is is the incubation period for guineas? If it is 28 days then it would make sense that this is a chick and hatched a week earlier.

Christy
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5223441

put all the eggs in the bator on June 8th that one hatched out on the 28th or 29th I think may be a day later, the others started hatching on the 3rd of July there abouts. I didn't write down the hatching dates, forgot to. but the chicken stayed in the bator for 5 days before the others hatched. I don't think it was a chicken egg, but I guess it's possible. They all looked like guinea eggs and were all that same size. but could have been a small chicken eggand they though t it was a guinea and stuck it in with the guinea eggs.

The folks that sold me these eggs, only have 2 kinds of chickens at their house as far as I know. their the welsummers and the cockoo marans. I'll have to ask if they have RIR's there too.

Can a guinea cross wtih a chicken?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5223525

yes, but that doesn't look like a cross... he looks like an adorable welsummer!

congrats Kathy!

tf
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5223715

Wow, guineas can cross with chickens? Wonder what those come out to look like? If the people have Welsummers I bet that's what he is. I've never had them or really ever seen any. My guess was RIR crossed with something only because a bunch of our chicks right now look a lot like yours. He is so cute! I keep clicking on his pic to see!

Chrsity
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5223724

guinehens... ugly/cute/sterile

www.guineafowl.com

tf
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5223822

thanks for the link tf...isn't that an odd looking critter? I wonder what the meat tastes like and how they grow? That sure is interesting! I swear, I learn a gabillion new things on here everyday!

Christy
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5223960

That's an ugly bird, so glad mine is a little welsummer, and by the temperment of it, it can only be a male LOL

I may have to make dumplings out of him yet LOL
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

July 8, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5224109

awwww what a cute surprise.
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5224882

Kathy_Ann,

I've hatched many Welsumers. Your little chick looks more like a hen to me. The roos are a bit darker.

What I find anecdotal is that you believed a Welsumer egg was a Guinea Fowl egg. My Welsumer eggs are 2.5X's larger in size than my Guinea Fowl eggs. They are a deep chocolate brown color ... almost chestnut colored. Guinea Fowl eggs are pointed ... conical at one end and are SMALL pale creamy brown eggs size ... vs Welsumer eggs being Extra Large.

Welcome to raising poultry ... its great to being a beginner or a long time poultry person.

Kelly in Moxee
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5225777

i was owndering the same thing about the eggs, Kelly. so it could turn out to be a cross after all...
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5226056

kathy_ann,

If all the eggs were the same (big IF) ... I'd say the chick might be a 50% guinea ... sterile. Poultry can be surprising.

Kelly in Moxee
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5226371

All the eggs were the same size and shape as guinea eggs, I would have noticed a dark brown egg in there for sure.

You know, I've bought chicken eggs from this same couple before , remember I said all they had was welsummers and cockoo marans, well, not one of their eggs are dark brown. kind of weird.

but there definitely wasnt any brown eggs and chicken eggs in the bator, you know the funny shape of a guinea egg, it kind of stands out, and they all looked like guinea, wish I paid closer attention, but I swear this thing came from a guinea egg or a very small very light colored egg that closely resembled a guinea egg.

Next time I go to town (friday) i'll stop by there and ask them, about their not so brown welsummer and cockoo maran eggs. I often wondered the same thing when I go into their feedstore they got the eggs for sale and none are brown brown, just light brown.

I'll post here when I find out something about them.
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5226737

I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Christy
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5226757

kathy_ann--He doesn't look like my Welsummer chicks--they looked much more chipmunky--typical little partridge colored babies with stripes down their backs.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5226973

well, it does look kind of like a welsummer

here's some baby welsummers

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=welsummer+chick&gbv=2
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

July 9, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5227370

It does look like a Welsummer. Could it be a cross with a Guinea? It looks very chick-like.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5227579

These are my Welsummers as chicks. The picture shows a Marans (black), a Buff Orpington (dark yellow), A Delaware (lemon yellow), two RIR (light red) and 2 Welsummers (dark brown and stripey). Maybe yours is a hybrid?

Thumbnail by Catscan

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5227639

LOL what's a hybrid?

new breed? would be nice if we knew who the father andmother were.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5227668

Well in breeding a hybrid is a cross between two distinct and different parents, usually different species (like a lion crossed with a tiger). But the term is used pretty loosely. Chickens aren't really different species, but they consider a cross between two different breeds a hybrid. In this case it could either be a cross between two different chicken breeds--or, and more interestingly, it could be a true interspecies cross between a Guinea Fowl and a Chicken--and if the egg looked like a Guinea egg it would mean the mother was a Guinea hen and the father was a Chicken roo. If it is a chicken hybrid it would be fertile--but most interspecies crosses are infertile (like donkey X horse=sterile mule). Time will tell:0)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5227690

gosh, learn something new every day. I didn't realize all that. This really looks like a chicken though , don't you think? doesn't look like it has any guinea in it.

I'm going to go by the feedstore tomorrow and talk to him abou t this baby. ask him if his welsummer and cockoo marans lay light colored eggs and ask if he has other chickens besides those two kinds. he once told me he only had those two but he sells allkinds that he gets off the net. so I would imagine he has to try growing all of the breeds.

he also has several breeds of dogs, pot belly pigs and several other creatures of his he sells the offsprings of LOL Those pot belly pigs are the cutest things when their babies
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #5227730

cat, could it be that welsummers chick markings are sex linked, and you got two roos?... this is all interesting, can't wait to hear his explanation KathyAnn...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5227787

i wounder wat he will say
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5227792

Well, tf---No! Unless Fontina stops crouching and starts crowing;0) But Pecky does seem to be a roo, doesn't he? Did his sickle feathers grow back? (in other words one of the chicks in the pic is a roo and one is a pullet).

Supposedly with Welsummers you can sex the young chicks because the little pullets are darker and have more pronounced "Vs" on their heads. But I didn't notice it with these. Pecky's comb started earlier but then sort of stalled. He was always bigger.

It is similar with Barnevelders (which were used to create Welsummers) but it is easier because the little roos have big white breasts and the pullet are grey or tan there. But the pullets are darker too and feather out earlier.

I think kathy_ann's little baby looks all chick and maybe part Welsummer--but I've never really seen a guinea/chicken hybrid. This should be interesting!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5227807

did you look at y link above, where they show guin-hens? they are/were developing htem for the "perfect meat bird"...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #5227823

that chicken guinea thing is so uglie its cute

josh
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #5227835

I can't get it to open. I think my computer wants to download some new software and it always get temperamental until I give in and let it do it.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5227839

now u have do be very firm with it and tell it NO BAD COMPUTER
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
4:32 AM

Post #5227845

in your browser type guineafowl.com then you wil have to search through ... or i could do it...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5227852

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/GuinHen/

you wil love the part where your mouse marker is a tick and a guinea follows it around!

tf
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5227856

i know i was playin with it for ages som one who was stoned would love that
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5227858

My computer is very passive agressive. I will have to turn it off and let it restart. I wanna follow the tick!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #5227861

yep just let it cool down for a while then come back and play with the marker thingy and on the other part of the site it rains guineas
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5227906

Just the tiniest criticism--it says the "prodigy is sterile" I think they mean "progeny is sterile" unless it is a VERY gifted fowl.

Okay, I'm over it.

Couldn't find the tick----does that mean I'm not stoned?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #5227939

It looks exactly like my one cross I had to hatch this spring.. I will try to get a picture soon.. My rooster was the daddy and a guinea mama.. He was the only hatch out of about 14 guinea eggs..He was hatched the old fashioned way.. Under a bantam hen, lol..

Mine is very vocal, but sounds more like a chicken than a guinea..

I have 8 baby keets that are now about 10-11 weeks old..Mama guinea sat on them in the old corn crib..Caught them up and put in the brooder..

Larkie
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5227942

i thought the web site said there ment to be realy rare looks like your on lucky person larkie
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #5227950

That makes sense then, Larkie:0) So glad you had the experience! Have you noticed if it is sterile?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #5227952

Don't know about it being rare, never thought about it.., I've had guineas and chickens to breed a good many times over the years..And yep, they are sterile..

Larkie

This message was edited Jul 9, 2008 1:36 AM
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
6:22 AM

Post #5228002

so its lik a mule then
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

July 9, 2008
6:54 AM

Post #5228035

Kathy_Ann,

Like I said ... if the egg was a guinea egg ... the chick is a hybrid. They are unusual. It can lay eggs if it is a hen. I'd cull it if it were mine. FYI ... Not all mules are sterile .. to be accurate ... 90%+ of them are sterile but there have been MANY documented cases of fertile mules. Kelly in Moxee
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #5228050

oh ok then i didnt know thanks
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
8:09 AM

Post #5228150

Hi josh. Here is a link that is a little technical, but does discuss the concept of interspecific hybridization and fertility as it relates to speciation (the creation of distinct species). If you wade through the jargon there are some nice examples and pictures of interspecific hybrids and reasons for the sterility of many interspecific hybrids.

http://www.fmv.ulg.ac.be/genmol/Department/Teaching/Seminar_2.pdf

luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
8:13 AM

Post #5228154

cool thanks catscan i am pretty intrested in hybrids and cloning and stuff lik that so i will have a look
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
8:27 AM

Post #5228157

Make sure you go through the all the slides at the end--some of the best pictures are there! :0) And it does list the guinea/chicken hybrid!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #5228163

it was cool there were some pretty weird things that were crossed in that list wasnt there
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
8:37 AM

Post #5228165

I particularly liked the "Wolphin" and it is fertile!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 9, 2008
8:52 AM

Post #5228173

i know i just looked it up on wikipedia apparently it had 3 babys only one is still alive
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

July 9, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5229890

Lol prodigy Catscan : )
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 9, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5230175

:0)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5230248

hey, willing to bet Kathy's guin IS a prodigy!!!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5230253

such a cute one tho.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5230809

Well, The store wasn't opened, which concerns me, the phone has been disconnected and I went by there the other day and they weren't open, I think something bad has happened. to Him maybe her not sure, he's older man, I'm a litttle worried, they were such nice folks. Hope it'snothing serious, but I can't find out anything abou tthis little chicken unless they open back up. maybe a death in the family but the phone being disconnected bothers me. It was a nice place to get chickens, geese, ducks guineas and eggs and feed, plants, seeds, you name it. family owned. and run. Sorry I couldn't find out anything on the chicken
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5230884

maybe they jsut went out of business, like many feed stores... so sad...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5231095

yes, we did hav eone other one go out of business also. but gosh they didn't sell out of everything like the other feedstore did. they had it completely stocked 2 weeks ago when I was in there. but the economy is getting so bad, I do't know how they stayed up and going anyways, they didn't have a good feed business, they were high dollar. on their feed.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5231119

Could you get ahold of them at their house. Is it close by there. I know my mom and pop feed store their house is right next door.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5231783

not this one, their name is also different than the name of the store, it's wilson's feedstore, and that isn't his first or last name LOL

I don't know their names at all.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5231798

Hmmmmmmm I dont know what to tell ya. I was, as like alot of others, hoping to find out what that little guy or gal was. I guess now we are going to have to wait a few months to find out. Keep us informed.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5231826

should be interesting, maybe you could post a new pic every week?

tf
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5231907

We can all watch that baby grow. Lord knows your gonna see all mine grow.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5231909

I will post updated photos, I'm also going to continue to drive by that place when I go to town, weird , Dh doesn't think they went out of business, cause the store is still fully stocked. not sure why the phone is disconnected, could be just something wrong with it.

I thought it strange the other day when I drove by at l0:00 and they weren't open. will keep trying though
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5231918

Maybe post a note on the door with some way of getting ahold of you, yea I know that would give anyone else your contact info also. Just a thought. Any thing else around them that maybe you could walk up to and ask?

Reason Im saying this, I live in a rather large town but I do most of my business in a small town and every body knows everybody, you know the saying someone sneezes and the whole town says bless you. Maybe someone might know something. Or just a vacation.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2008 5:28 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5232054

they know me by name and face, I've already though t abou t leaving a note on the door too next time I go there.
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5233159

the bottom pic is a pearl guinea keet. the top looks to me like it is a guinea cross welsummer which is called a crossbreed. if it lives it is a female because male guinea cross don't live ver a few weeks old. if u look on feathersite.com u can see pics of such crosses and there should be a little info on them. the chicken breed would be different but same concept. i just hatched out pearl, pieds and lavanders, they r so adorable!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5233356

OH wow!, I sure hope it lives, would be so dissapointing if it didn't. Thanks for the help silkiechick.

What's a keet? this is my first time with guineas, the guy did tell me they were pearl. that would be the grey with white specks all over right? i'll have to go check out that site. I've never seen these babies run so fast, seems to be twice as fast as chicken babies.

I geuss keets ar e babies? another name for them?
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 10, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5233725

keet is a baby guinea and havent seen u for a while silkiechick welcome back

josh
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #5233940

i'm always here everyday even if i don't post or have time to read alot,lol. i have just been swamped with stuff and since all 5 kid's r now home for summer.

ur very welcome kathy and yes that is what color it will be. i don't raise them but i have hatched them out for many people the last few years. the ones i just did r for my granny but she now only wants a couple, eekk i have 8 and more eggs in!! i must say the little lavanders have really caught my eye. i'll have to take pics tomarrow so u can see the 2 colors i have different than urs. i may talk dh into letting me keep a few,lol.

if it is a crossbreed yes it will be sterile and as it grows it should show more cariteristics(sp,lol) of the guinea. it's a cute little bugger that's for sure!!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 10, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5234160

not all ways are they sterile i thought they were to but som one said earlier that not all hybrids are and i looked it up and there have been a few documented cases of fertility

This message was edited Jul 11, 2008 11:34 AM
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5237792

The Iowa Blue chicken breed is reputed to be a result of a ring neck pheasant and Barred Rock cross. The progeny were originally close to 75% sterile. But the continued offspring increased in fertility resulting in a new breed. The Iowa Blue breed is repuuted to sound quite a lot like a pheasant. Crossbreeds are usually sterile.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2008
5:02 AM

Post #5239622

hmmmm, there was osmeone on here a while back that was in Iowa and had many breeds, including the Iowa Blue...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 11, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #5239770

i have never seen an Iowa Blue before
looks like a job for google
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5241057

o rjust use the search forum here on Dave's...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 12, 2008
5:56 AM

Post #5245272

were is that
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #5245307

OK, josh, go to the top of this page. type something into that empty box onthe right, then click the button that says SEARCH FORUMS...
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
6:16 AM

Post #5245330

just don't click on the file thingy...that is something else. Took me awhile to figure that one out. : )
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 12, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5245770

oh cool thanks tamara i never new wat that was for i dont know how to do much lik lnks and quotes and stuff lik that is to hytec for me lol
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5247590

you poor dear little tech-less hick...
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 13, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5249470

i know
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 13, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5249785

lol:0)
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 13, 2008
8:21 AM

Post #5250532

as long as my neck aint red im happy
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5251985

LOL
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 14, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5254230

oh dam i think im sun burnt NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 14, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5254679

How's your neck?:0)
PeaFowlAnjL
Gate (Rochester), WA
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #5255822

RED!!! I bet ROFL ^_^

Sorry Lucky, just HAD to
Cheryl
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 14, 2008
6:26 AM

Post #5255854

its not fare wait

your countrys know for its red-necks not mine

were know for our hill billy farmers yeh beat that

wait there the same

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMMING TO

josh
PeaFowlAnjL
Gate (Rochester), WA
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2008
6:28 AM

Post #5255857

LOLOL ^_^
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 14, 2008
6:30 AM

Post #5255861

ah well u win (for now)
Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 14, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #5255873

Hillbillies prefer to be known as "horny handed sons of the soil". But it ain't gonna happen...

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 2:40 AM
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 14, 2008
6:39 AM

Post #5255880

LMAO
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

July 14, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5257128

They'd prolly call me a red-neck if it weren't for my bell bottoms, tye-dyes, barefeet, music, and political views : )
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5259212

so you are a red-necked hippie!
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 15, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5259855

oh my god we have created new new generation by cloning red-necks with hippys

god save our souls

LOL

oh and Kathy_Anne have u figured out wat that chick/keet was yet
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5260580

No, They definitely closed their doors, and I haven't left them a note, that little chick is growing though, looks more like a chicken though.

I'll see if I can't get anothe picture of it soon.

luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 15, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5260936

cool please do
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5320120

i am ready for a new picture!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5320381

Yeah, I keep forgetting, I'm headed out of town tomorrow for the day I'll try to get one sunday
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 26, 2008
8:34 AM

Post #5321511

i wonder wat it looks lik now
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5321840

hurry Kathy!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5325246

i'm sorry, I've been out of town all day long, first thing tomorrow. I promise.

it's sure weird looking. got the little comb on top of it's head, alot of guinea coloring. we'll let you all see it tomorrow. i'v been so busy putting up the veggies in the garden and we had to go up to Clinton today and that put me out of pocket all day. i'mstill canning tonight, making pickles, and canning zipper peas and lady finger and purple hull peas. almost done. i'm so tired.

tomorrow. promise. so sorry i've not posted apicture.
luckycharm_1
londonderry
Australia

July 27, 2008
6:01 AM

Post #5325875

wow it must look realy weird
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5327381

ok, here is the baby, what do you all think?

i'll post several pics, and i'll try not to be so long about posting pics from now on LOL

not the best pictures, this thing is a lively little bugger

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5327388

another shot

ugly isn't it? LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5327397

A terrible shot to get a comparison of the chicken and guineas but i'll try to get another today sometime of all of them so we can see the two diff ones.

it's raining now .

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Catscan
Lodi
United States

July 27, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5328820

How interesting! I wonder what is going on in his fuzzy little bird brain? Now I think like a chicken/Now I think like a guinea? Or just a weird blend of the two? Definitely a keeper!
fieldsems
Paris, TN

July 31, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5349265

I just had a silkie and a guinea hatch had planned on keeping them together until I read that chickens and guineas can breed I don't want that cause I would like to have purebreed silkies maybe I should get rid of the guineas my dh hates them anyway.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #5349530

Awww...actually I think it's rather cute! It's a special little one, that's for sure!
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5349582

Kathy_ann,

This little oddity is somewhat rare ... so count yourself as special. Its not the 1st I've read of or seen but close and I've been involved with poultry since I was 8 years old ... off and on ... mostly off.

Kelly in Moxee
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5349608

i'll be sure to take special care of it, but their allgetting good care.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America