-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5230604

I need instructions on the easiest way to make luffa sponge soaps.

P
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5298572

cold process or melt and pour?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
9:17 AM

Post #5300506

Probably melt and pour. I've never made soap before...don't want to blow myself up..*G*
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5302031

That's easy then, there are two ways of doing it. One is to have a long skinny mould (I used a french bread pan with the ends closed off with duct tape) pour in some soap, lay in the luffa and cover with more soap. It may take a bit of poking as it cools to get the soap to stay sunken. When it hardens, remove from the mold and slice with a sharp serrated knife. If you have lines from the knife, just hit it with a hairdryer to melt them smooth. he other way si to use slices of the luffa and put them in muffin tins or other moulds that fit and fill with melted soap. Pop it out and Taa-Daa!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
9:21 AM

Post #5306019

Thanks so much for that info. Do you spray the pan or tins w/ a release(i.e:Pam cooking spray)? Would the melted soap be to hot for candy molds? So many question.

Off to find some soap making supply webpages.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 23, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5306753

I don't remember spraying mine, I put them in the freezer to shrink and they popped out, but spray would probably make it easier. It may recomend it on the package, better check. I heavily grease all my cold process moulds. Melt and pour does'nt have to be that hot when you pour it so candy moulds would work. I use them for my soild lotion bars to make tiny ones like chocolates and stuff.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5307130

Thanks again.

Think I'll go look for a Soap Making Book( for Dummies) on amazon.com. Went to a soap makers supply webpage and just got confused...LOL Didn't have the faintest idea what I need to get started.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6252973

Hi, I have never made soap before. But Im going to be growing luffa this year & am wanting to make luffa soaps.
Can you add fresh goats milk to the melt & pour.
Thanks
Cheryl
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6254005

I don't think so. I have added goatsmilk powder, It had a bit of a grain to it, but disolved instantly when you used it. If you added fresh goatmilk, it would dilute the soap and you'd have a runny mess.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6255804

Thanks , I was kind of thinking that way but having never madr soap before .
where can you find powder GM.
thanks
Cheryl
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6255948

Unfortunately, I buy it in 50 pound bags for feeding orphaned fawns. You can find buttermilk powder at grocery stores and it has similar properties. Or youou might try some of the soap supply places on line. The other option is to order a goatmilk soap base or noodles already done. CHeck out Soapcrafters site, they have wonderful products.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6271581

when I have made my luffa soaps in the past, I pre sliced my sponges then used small bowls or containers that fit the sponge. Poured the M&P soap and used a chops stick to poke the sponge down into the soap until it remained there on its own. :)
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6274341

I didn't get around to planting my luffa seeds last year so this is still on my to-do list.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6284309

This sounds like fun. Tried growing the luffas, but did ot have any luck on them. will have to try again!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6290550

If I find a place to grow mine,I'll share with ya BB.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6291386

*GGGG*

Toss...

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6305987

bigred & BLOSSOMBUDDY
Here is what we have set up to grow our Luffas. Its a cattle panel tied to the fence & 2 T-posts makes a nice arch way . don't you think it will look great with luffa hanging down.

Thumbnail by denimangle

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2009
9:33 AM

Post #6306825

problems not what to grow them on but where. Small garden and by the time I get the veggies planted...no room
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6306887

Oh I have done the cattle panel thing... done it with birdhousgourds, peas and a few others. My problem here is wet feet. I flood. Growing sweetcorn is not an option. Growing potatoes.. yes, if I can get them in early.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6307443

BLOSSOMBUDDY & bigred

see the blue barrels in the picture Im planting in them not in the ground No wet feet ,no moles, etc. It only takes a little space. The panel is 4' wide and you can arch it as hi as you want we are 8' from the fence so we are arch is between 7 to 8'ground to top So a 4x8' space is all you need ...
Im also growing birdhousgourds.
Cheryl
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6307609

Cheryl, That is a cool method. Unfortuenately too for me, location location location... only location is to far to drag a hose to water...its do or die here! And often quite a bit of the later!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #6311718

I might be able to find a spot in my hub's big garden on the fence
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6313490

bigred ,
ours is 8 feet from the fence but you can push it in closer
or you can take 4 T-post and make your arch anywhere.
good luck
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6313659

So, this is off topic, but not really LOL I grew loofas once, and couldn't get them cleaned to produce the sponges, they ended up molding. ARGH!! Would love to grow and get my own sponges out of them.

Peggy do you do this? would love to know how to
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6316510

I've cleaned loofas once many years ago. If I remember correctly,I soaked them in a bucket of bleach water (you don't have to use bleach if you want them natural)for a couple days(how many I don't recall),skin will start sluffing off when it does,take them out and finish removing the skin/peel ,put them some where w/good air flow to dry out. When they're dry you can shake and or prod the seeds out.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6316568

Well, I must have picked them too soon cause I did that, but I didn't let them soak for days. Must have been why.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6316693

I think you can totally let them air dry for the loofas and the hide will crackle off too. The washe the sponges after shaking the seeds out.

We did birdhousegourds a few years back and they molded. But the cool thing on them was that they cleaned up and had a haiku look to them. Whe just chucked them on a hayrack and left them go for months. Then washed them. I still have some and they ar great yet for projects.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6316766

From what I have been told/read you can let them dry on the vine. Then peel and do the bleach soak after you shake out the seeds (if you are keeping the seeds you dont want to bleach them) Or you can peel , squeeze out seeds , then dry & Bleech. Guess there is no right way .

The birdhouse gourds (im growing them this year also ) do mold on the outside but just scrubs off.

I hope its all as easy as I have read & been told :)
Now to get them to grow ...

Question if your not growing your own Luffa where do you buy it ?
Id like to try some out before next fall...
Cheryl
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6316953

don't take my word for it...it's been a lot of years since I did it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6319717

Birdhouse gourds...the little gourds mold too. But depending on the look you want...haiku is interesting!

Is a luffa considered a gourd?

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6320326

No I don't believe so .. Luffa is a veg. you can eat them if picked young.
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 9, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6661833

I grow luffa every year for soap making and other craft projects and for gift baskets. The best way to peel a luffa is fresh off the vine. It is ready to "pick" when you give it the squeeze test and it gives and no longer is hard and the stem has turned brown and dried out. Don't be in a hurry to pick them you want to be able to sqeeze them some. If the luffa is popping and crunching when you squeeze it then it is ready to peel. That is the connecting skin and strings giving from the luffa. Pull off the bottom end with a slight twist. You should now be able to tear/cut the skin with your finger while running it up under the edge to the top. If this is to difficult then it is not ready. If you have made it this far then you should be able to run your finger under the skin and shuck it right off in one big piece. Now lay the sponge somewhere where it can dry for a day or two. You may wish to turn it over once. Then go back and shake the seeds out. Now you can wash it in the washer( I fill the tub up with luffas) with a small amount of bleach. You will have to wipe the washer out afterwards. Or use a bucket instead. I then put them in the dryer for about 20 mins. They are still a bit damp when I take them out.

For soap making I use a piece of PVC tupe with a cap. Put my luffa into the PVC pour my M&P soap let it harden, then push it out and slice it off. I have also used different sized molds, putting my piece of luffa in the mold and pouring the soap in. Usually have to hold the luffa down until the soap hardens some.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2009
10:24 AM

Post #6662452

ladygreen,

Thanks for that helpful info.

I didn't get my loofa seeds sewn due to a lot of flash flooding this year. Wonder if it's too late to sew them?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6668012

ladygreensleeves,
Thanks so much for all the great info ...My vines are growing and I have flowers but no babies yet ...
I was planning on useing either a PVC pipe or a chips can for my soap making
Do you have any pictures of your luffa soap you would post.
Cheryl
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 10, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6668948

Of all the pictures I have taken not one includes my soaps...lol. I was making them mainly for family and friends and decided to try selling some at a festival held every year at my old home town. Don't you know I sold everyone of them! My neighbor raved about how great they were and said I should, and since I was going to be there anyway I thought I would try. Wished I had taken more of them now. I sold the luffhas and seeds too.
How many of you use them in other ways, like at the kitchen sink to scrub the dishes or teflon pots and pans. Perfect for that as well as they won't scratch the teflon.

Bigred, you could try sowing your seed now. Just stay on top of their water needs. Mine have that wilted look during the heat of the day in late july and august and then spring back as it starts cooling off. I make sure they get a good drink every other day or so soaking the ground and the vines.

My vines are growing like crazy right now and flowering, have seen one or two female flowers but mostly male flowers. I started the vines to cover a old ugly fence and then when I ended up with so many luffhas I needed a way to use them. Thats how I got started with using them in soaps. I love vines and luffhas definitally cover that topic. As well as any fence or support or anything else their little tentrils can crasp ahold of.

I have seeds, lots and lots of seeds for anyone who is interested.

Heres a picture of the luffha on the vine last year.

Thumbnail by ladygreensleeves

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 10, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6668979

oops wrong picture...try this one.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6669180

I wanted to try luffas.. maybe next year if I get seeds. If I do do them though, I will need to put up a trellis and so will do lot of plants.

If you have some seeds I would be glad to have them! Please D-mail me! Thanks
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 10, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6669440

boy oh boy do I have the seeds!!! How many do you want? I started with 10 little ole seeds I purchased on ebay and now have a gallon freezer bag full. Just send me a bubble envie with a return label and postage and I will return it with your seeds. I will send you my addy via d-mail. Anybody else just send me a d-mail and I will do the same :0)

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6669873

Rediga, you have mail! Load me up!

I want to grow a bunch of these to give to the food pantry at our church. Then the people can have a scrubby too!!

Id like to try to do the soap making. Been wanting a recipe for glycerin soaps! Silkie smooth as that is! Have no clue on how to!

Ok, well look forward to your seed soon!

Peg, hope you can grow them too this year. I am further north and think it may be a lost cause, but heck.. could try a small few of Reginas when they arrive! Will let you know how it pans out!

Right now my watermelons and cantalopes are only about an inch tall, so.. hmmm loofa.. might be late, but it has been a late spring so harvest late too! Gonna be a toss up, and dont know if you dont try!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6669884

Got so excited could not spell yer name!! LOL!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6671117

I have loofa just one tiny little guy

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6671137

and maybe 3 more

Regina,
when you make your loofa soap in the PVC pipe .
How thick do you slice your soap?
and how much did you sell it for ?
Thanks
Cheryl

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by denimangle

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 11, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6671788

Cherl,

I cut most of them in 1 inch slices and started my price at $3.00 per bar. It depended on how much soap, color, and scent went into it as well as if I sliced them larger.

For the beginners at growing luffha's. The pictures that Cheryl posted show a female flower with a tiny luffha behind it. The second picture is the male flower, they will always be a cluster on a spike. Females are always a single flower,followed by the luffha. And ants love them,they will be part of your pollinators and beneficial to the plant.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6672743

OMG.. I live on an ant farm! Now if I can send the ones ouside that are in my kitchen, mayby those critters can have a new job! LOL Thank God they are not fire ants though!

I hope the loofas will do good in my poor soil. If I have to infuse some organic matter, we have pleny of horse manure!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 11, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6674091

I go out to one of the local horse stables and bag up manure every now and then for ALL my plants. Some of the best fertilizer around. So infuse away! Your loofha will thank-you for it. I also put some in a bucket and add water then use the water on my plants. My neighbors are always asking me what is my secret. How come my plants are so lush and green all year and theirs are small and doing just so-so. Another excellent manure is rabbit. Either one is low in odor(if any) and fast to decompose and does wonders for your plants.

Try sprinkling baby powder at the entrance where the ants are coming in. They wont cross it. Or feeding them cornmeal, they can't digest it.

ok now back to soap making here is a link to a site that will teach you how to make soap using your loofha in different ways as well as other soap making techniques...
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/soapexfoliants.htm
you can learn the melt and pour as well as cold process and candle making tips too. Enjoy!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 3:00 PM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6675087

Regina,
Thanks your info on the flowers is very helpful . This is my first go at luffa and need all the help I can get .
I use goat poop ... Great for plants ...
Ok off to read about soap
so much to learn so little time
:-)
Cheryl
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6677799

Awesome.. I also have chickens.. so they got more nitro! Well, I best go clear a spot. I mailed you the SABE! Thanks again!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 13, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6682991

I will keep my eyes open for your envie and get it right back out to you. Be careful with the chicken poo...it's "hot" can burn your garden right up.

Did ya'll find some recipes for making soap and candles? Bookmark that site or sign up for the e-mails they have some wonderful ideas and crafts all year long there. I made the beeswax/cocoa butter massage bars once. They are too die for, any everyone loved them.
Great videos too for those that like the visual aids for seeing how something is done first. And the site has other great areas to check out too for crafts and gardening ideas.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6683247

Thanks Regina! I wil llet you know back too when they arrive!

Hmmm I got a crazy idea with them luffas.. Right now I just put up about 40 cherry tomatoes to hanging baskets. I have three plants in a basket so that when they finally do get to hanging out there will be one plant on each side of the hanger. Mind you these are not mini tomatos, but the full size cherry. I have not done this before so time will tell how this is gonna pan out. I might in the end end up taking the baskets out to the garden.. but for now.. they are hanging up on the hoops of the hoophouse we have.

Wonder if I could try the luffas that way!...just might do it for grins on a basket of two!

The maters are in baskets full of horsemanure.. they are as green as green can be and almost 6 inches today. My big beef maters are in chicken dung in the garden.. but its "diffused"!

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 14, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6684406

Luffa vines are too heavy for baskets, they need a good support to grow on. They grab onto everything with their tentrils, I am contantly rerouting them to stay on the fence and not over the gate and onto the house or over to the neighbors. Of course I get what is that crazy vine growing there with those big green things hanging on it. Once they know they are Really...thats where those sponges come from? LOL.

They have the Topsy Turvy bags so I would think the cherry tomatoes would be ok in a basket. Did you plant them in the top to hang over or coming thru the sides? I'm thinking if you put them coming thru the sides that might help to anchor them??? Plant basil in the top as a companion plant...and make those maters taste extra yummy. And you can make oils and vinegars with the basil to use or give as gifts to.

I was always to chicken to use the poo in my gardens...lol...get it chicken... poo...
I always cleaned out the coop and let it sit and leach out for awhile or tilled it into a section I wasent planting in for awhile. Chickens are nasty birds, eggs are great tho...lol.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6685254

Oh gads... hehehe!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009 6:40 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6685310

I got 13 chickens now and they are all hens. Not nasty, cant say we have had a really nasty one. Had 200 at once one time and only recall a few being nasty to each other. Had lots of chickapoo!

We have also donkey poo!! LOL! My hubby referes to the equine poo as PREMIUM PASO POOPY! Since of course the major equine population are Pasos here. Wish we had bovinepoo. Would trade one of those fillies of mine for some decent cows!

Well, the maters are looking fine. Cant say I got room for any basil in them with three plants to each and them planted in the center so as to grab each others roots to hang on in the basket!. I figures I can prune them if they get to heavy..

OK, now I have to come up with a different plan on the loofas.. I have a spot, maybe I will just put them in a #500 nurseery can and put the pots by the trellis (or in this case the hoops of thehoophouse)...it is gonna look a sight, but if they do anything good, that wil be fine! WIll let you know how things go. They will climb a cattle panel first and grow from that. I was kinda hoping they could hang. Maybe I wil try one any way... One cant hurt.

I got hanging baskets every where. Some have petunias, some have baby sun roses, or pansies, or spiderplants, or creeping Jenny, or vincas, or alyssumns and then those with maters in each. Some have a combo of annuals. A regular portable garden They are on my porches and on the hoophouse and fences and gads, must be 100 of them now. For some reason I "hung" it up this year! LOL! Get it, hung it up! LOL! I got a hang up, its gardening... oh just shot me...! LOL! Its getting deep here.

Oh gads... hehehe!

Here are my new starters of baby sun roses, I just love these!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6685334

BLOSSOMBUDDY,
50 thousand comedians out of work ...lol
I think the loofa would do well on the hoops
Mine are all over the cattle panel.
I just know if you have enough time to grow them. where is (zone 5a)
I was told it takes a long growing season it took about 30 days from planting to sprout...

Regina,
I have seen a few ants on the vines ..
& a few bees .. So maybe ill get more babies soon ...
Cheryl
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6685708

Ooooooh poooo...you gonna make me admit to the state of insanity o which I live... no fair. I will give you a hint though it starts with I. I generally stands for insane...but it aint Iowa or Idehoe! LOL!

Send letter to current King.. 50 thousand still unemployed. Time for a fix. Yo KING, get off DUFF.

Ok, 30 days.. whoo-E... what is projected harvest then? November if planted upon arrival?
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 14, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6687327

Ohhh the poo is getting deep with the hang ups! LOL

I have a serious hang up too...with Hoya's...having them hanging everywhere out in the florida room...have over 30 different ones now.

When I lived in Indiana...oh hey that starts with a I...I had a neighbor that had cows,and chickens...I had rabbits and chickens. Her chickens where nasty. Raccons were always getting them or oppossums. So I built my coop from a old hog house,fenced it in completely.
I had two roosters and quite a few hens. I raised them from peeps. Once they were older I would let them free range, and lock them back up at night. Never lost a one to coons or oppossums.

I would go over and muck out her barn for the cow poo. I made a 3 tier strawberry garden one spring using the cow poo. Had a few strawberries that year, but the following year, they took off and I had the biggest sweetest berries around. Everyone would eat them and then ask what your secret. I would grin and say...Cow Sh*t...lol. The looks on some of the faces...priceless.

My loofa are blooming like crazy, havent looked for any little loofas. Did show my neighbor what the difference was between the flowers last week, so I seen one then. I still have a big bag of loofa's left over from last year. This years vine is from a loofa I left to rot on the ground. Shook a few seeds out on the ground and they sprouted right away. The ones that sprouted in the loofa I sent over to my neighbor so that she could grow some too.
bloosom, just make sure the ones in the basket have something to grap onto and support them. When they are green they are heavy and need the support. Heres a link about growing luffas and how long they take to reach maturity. http://www.luffa.info/

Regina

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6688821

Cool! On, well, no, its not Indiana...

Hoyas huh?!!! LOL! I got one! It is not growing very fast.. could it use some chicken poo?
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 15, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #6688885

Illinois???

What kind of planting mix do you have that hoya potted in? Do you know what kind of hoya it is? Ever see it bloom? Do you let it dry out between waterings? They like to be rootbound and alot of them need to dry out abit between drinks. They need a chunky potting mix so that the roots can breath.Miracle grow or super thrive no chicken poo...

I checked the luffa vine this evening and seen one about a inch long, lots of blooms. Ants were busy checking out the vines too.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6689435

Unfortuneately.

Um, the hoya has been in the same pot for years, it has bloomed, but I lost the lable. Ithink the flower was alight pinkish white, never been fertilized and is out side getting water when it rains. does Enwhree make sense to you?? I think that was what the lable said. or something like it.

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 15, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6692500

Or something like that...lol. Could it be naumanii ??? Just a guess...the two big leaves kinda look like publicaylx. You could post a picture on the hoya forum or just send me the plant...hahaha. Try looking thru the pictures at this site, might reconize the flower or name. You can also send a picture to them and let him ID it for you. http://www.hoyaplants.com/hoyaplants.htm I have bought several hoyas from them at the botanical garden shows and he is known as the Hoya Dr. He ID a hoya for me that my mom gave me a start of that she had for years as a publicalx, said when it blooms send him a pic and he would be able to tell me what species it was.
It looks like a nice hoya. If you can spare a cutting sometime or wish to trade it, please keep me in mind.
Also your envelope arrived today. I was able to get the seed in, new label,restamped,taped and back out to the other side of the road when the mailman made his pass on that side. So your seeds are on their way.

Hey I used to live in Illinois too...long,long time ago...

Regina

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6692898

Don't tell anyone but me too...
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 16, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6693228

hhhheheheheee...sisterhood of the traveling luffa...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6698210

I dispise this state... been here all my life and been in 42 other states and I am drooling to leave it.. but anyway, grass might be greener on the other side, could be better off staying.. Dont know. Just hate the system here.. every time ya turn around the politics gets dirtyier and worse. Highest taxes in the union too.. and not seeing any improvement just things going down hill more and more. Well anyway, nuff of that.

Thanky muchly for the send on loofa and if ya send me a D-mail on the hoya to remind me to list ya for a cutting.. maybe down the road when the derned thing gets cuttable I can send ya one.. its a pretty slow growing plant so it will not be anytime soon. Last time it bloomed was about 3-4 years ago.

Ok, will let ya know when the loofas cometh !
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6709084

They are here!! Thanky!

A planting I go!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 5:42 AM
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 19, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #6709377

Glad they made it. Let the growing begin!

I had to drag the garden hose around this evening to water everything. Has been a few days since we had any rain. This is our rainy season, but we don't always get the rain like we used to. This year I am only growing half of the luffa vines that I had last year. I noticed this evening quite a few female flowers and a couple of small luffas. Hopefully the small ones will hold on and not rot off. I do better ignoring the vine and letting it do it's on thing and not looking for the luffa's...lol. Just water it when it needs it and don't look at it. Crazy vine.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6709682

Well Here is my one luffa ... really grown in a week
lots of flowers but no more babies

Thumbnail by denimangle

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6712544

Awwwww~ LOL! Their cute!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6718859

Well, here are Reginas babies for me! I got them soaking as I post!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6719330

soak the seeds no one told me I had to soak the seeds... maybe thats why most didnt sprout :(
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 21, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6719743

I never soaked my seeds before planting,but then I live in a extended growing area too. They are a tropical here so, I had no worries. Since Blossom lives in a northern state, soaking speeds up the germination. Also your seeds may have been older??? And they do germinate at different rates.
I might also suggest to those that live in northern areas that you start them indoors next year and once all fear of frost has past then move them outside. They don't like their roots disturbed so plant them in something they can continue to grow in.
This years vines are from a luffa I left to rot on the ground, some of the seeds got shook free and sprouted right away. The rest sprouted in the luffa and went across the street to the neighbor to be planted along her fence.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6720032

That reminds me, I think I best get my soaking seeds to some soil in a pot before they drowned! I only am trying to start a few. Next year I wil do them all. And yes, because of the late start and late season this year.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6726698

Well, that did not take long for those seeds to germinate. I got them in a pot and I expect in just a few days they will be peaking the soile in this high humidity.

They actually germinated in the water while they soaked for me. I need to get a cattle panel. Right now the chickens are cleaning up the area that I plan to plant the loofas in.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6726896

Cattle panels are great things ... If I could turn my chickens out just where I wanted them to clean up bugs it would be great ... But Im afraid they would eat the garden.
Cheryl
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6727152

Well, I got several pens for the birds... two of them are grown up with weeds and flwoers, the other three are dry lots now. I want them dry for the summer where those pens are. The one pen is full of margarite daisys. The other is pretty trompled now from 3 days of tunning the birds there. I figure by the time the loofa is ready to transplant they will be done kicking the dirt there. Just need to slip a cattle pannel thropugh their perch and then kick the birds out after I plant it.
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 24, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6730675

Once the plants send out the first normal leaf or two, the luffa are big enough to transplant. The roots by this time may be 6 inches (15 cm) long or longer. Luffa are somewhat sensitive to transplant shock so be careful when planting. Leaving the plants outside a couple days before planting helps them to adapt.

When I had my chickens I would turn them out to clear the weeds and bugs for me before planting a area. I will never forget the day I seen one catch a snake. That snake wrapped its self around that chicken every way it could fighting for its life. That chicken just hung on and kept shaking it and pecking away. Finally swallowing it like a spagetti noodle. I was like wow...don't have to worry about snakes anymore...lol.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6731553

Lady I need to read this to DH he doesn't want the chickens running around but he may change his tune if they kill a copper head or two ..

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 7:08 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6731562

Gruesome!

Well the loofas are still under the soil this morning. Maybe tomorrow.
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 26, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6739995

I don't know what kind of snake it was...this was in Indiana, and we had alot of these harmless snakes that would hatch out every year. But I swear that snake wrapped it self around the chickens leg at one point and she pried it off. Then was around her neck, I was in hysterics watching all this.I did'nt know who to cheer for...the snake or the chicken. She finally gobbled it down and joined the rest of the hens pecking and scratching on the side of the hill.
Tell DH that chickens will eat anything...

How deep did you bury them seeds? Come to think of it...I don't think I buried mine. I know I did'nt this time anyway. They came from the rotted one I left on the ground from last years crop.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6740790

Well, they are potted in a shallow sour cream container... I think I drownded them..
It has been soooo dang hot and humid...

Well good for that chicken. But I gauranteeif it was a rattler.. no way was she gonna walk away.

I had to rescue a frog from a pencil snake that got a grip on the frog! Stupid snake thought he could eat a semi! There was no way the snake could have ate that frog. It was tooooo big for its consumption, but the little python was sure gonna try. Poor frog, he just was hopping around with his shackle. I saw him and said enough is enough.. snake. Truly its eyeballs was bigger than its tummy.

Well, if those loofas dont peak the soil in a day or two I think I will forget it until next year. Drat I was soo hoping to do this.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6742717

Don't give they take a long time to show them selves
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2009

Post #6743680

Well, I will watch them.. I know they cracked in the soaking.. just a day after they got fried.. but maybe they did not croak... I usually give things a few good days after I think its dead to be sure!! LOL!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 27, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6743716

Don't give up on them yet, they are slow to get started. They develope and set their roots first. Then they really take off and start climbing everywhere.

Bet that was a site seeing a little ole snake trying to eat a big ole frog...lol.

I'm sure if a chicken came across a poisonous snake it wouldnt stand a chance against it, would be a sad day for the chicken no doubt.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6744930

DH told me yesterday he say a bluejay fighting with a copperhead ...Said it was the strangest thing hehad ever seen . & yes the Jay won . Wish he had gotten the camera.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2009

Post #6745865

Score big one for the Jay!!

So far, the loofa, still under dirt...hmmmm...it is so hot, I think we are heading into a dry spell.
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 27, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6745959

Keep the soil moist on the seeds...don't give up on them. They like the heat. Be patient give them time.

Score one for the Jay!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6751027

I have some under dirt also had to get new seeds as most of the first batch did nothing :( I have been told it could take 30 days for then to poke their little heads out.
tapping foot ...
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 29, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6751582

Putting the seeds in a moist environment before planting helps increase germination rates. There can be a lot of variability in the time needed for germination. It could be 3 days or over 3 weeks! Typically it is around a week to two weeks. The drier and harder the seeds are, the longer they usually take to germinate.
They can be pretty stubborn thats for sure...

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6751738

Well, I know these seeds were viable because they did have a little sprout the day I planted them,.. I soaked them for 2 days.. forgot about them.. but maybe in the transplant.. lost them.

Well, thats ok, its getting too hot to do them so I will get them going in the greenhouse next spring.

OMG! I had a 5 foot snake in my barn today. It was up in the rafters going after some sparrows nests. I have no idea as to what kind it was.. but ewe ewe ewe ewe eweeee! It was stealing eggs for sure. YOu can see it had a belly full as it tried to slither its way through the small ports of the beams... YECK! It can have the sparrows, but after that, its gotta go.. Go play nextdoor you slithering slimmy thing you. Guess the think cant read the NO SNAKES ALLOWED sign at the door. Sheesh, some animals.. they just do as they please dont they! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6777674

Ok on a happyier note... back to the topic...we have LOOFA! LOL!

Meet, the lil darling! Be life size on yer screen!!! LOL!

Well that is if ya opens the pic!

Ummm it went in the pan on 6/21...man that is a slow grower...

Happy 4th!

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

July 6, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6783079

Congrats!!! That be a luffa alright. Germination in 2 weeks...not too bad.

In a couple more weeks it will take off and start vining and grabbing onto everything.

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
10:49 AM

Post #6783574

hehehhe!! Ok, how long until "fruit"??...I know this particular baby is a late plant so I am not expecting any muchthing, but am hoping!

Hopefully I will not disturb it when I transplant it.. ummm, how long do you think I should wait to do that? I am thinking when it has at least 4 leaves to carefully plop her into the ground. There are a few more seeds in this pot, but they have not shown yet.

I am hoping that when I transplant the thing will have a hefty root system by then to move it from the pan in good shape.

Its going into some soil that has been grazed by chickens, but not too rich in chicken poo.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6791452

Oh Girl Im With you on the Snakes ...

Do you have the little guy outside in his pot or still inside? Id move him out and let him get a little bigger before replanting.
id also cut him out and not try to tip him out . Just My thinking
Cheryl
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

July 8, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6791958

Try not to disturb the roots when you move it. They are sensitive to transplant shock.

Heres a link to a help with your luffa... http://www.luffa.info/luffagrowing.htm

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6795843

Awesome... You know what I am a thinking, maybe to take a razor and cut the bottom of the pan and just put the pan and all into the dirt.. cut like a big hole in the bottom so the rootsies can escape and go deep.. but if the thing pops out of the pan intact, so be it so much the better.

I have to kick the chickens out of the pen so I can plant it ther so it can climb.. it will be at least a week before I can get it into the ground I figure. Gotta get a cattle panel from the back forty...

Well, tune in later for the LOOOOFA REPORT!! heheheh!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6796962

I still only have 1 loofa (10" long) there have been other but they all die before they really get started. I think im going to try and start a few more seeds. I can grow things in the garden till late Nov. early Dec. so they should still have time.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6797252

Mine will deepend on how early the frost comes...usually by the 10th of October we have had mild to hard.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6806518

BBBBRRRRRR!!!!! we dont get much in the way of winter most years till Jan/Feb
Now that I have said that it will freeze her in Aug ...LOL But that would be like HE** Freezing over :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6807076

I have been to your neck of the woods...Freezing is not much of an option. Roasting alive, yeah, that one is almost no choice unless ya move.

Well the chickens almost have my pen defoliaged, so as soon as I get a cattle panel drug up.. I will be putting baby loofa in there!! LOL!

Man it sure is hot today
flightnurse9
Ellery, IL

July 11, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6807363

What time of year do you plant luffa? I live in southern IL, is it getting to later to plant?
Thanks!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6808509

Well, mine is going in late.. so we shall see what if anything comes. It should be planted earlier.

Here is my baby...

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

July 13, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #6812913

You need at least four months of warm weather for luffa to mature. If you don't have four months of warm weather ,wait, then sow them indoors in peat pots next spring. After the last frost plant them out in the peat pots. They resist transplanting and this way you move them outside without disturbing the roots.

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6813316

I dont think my baby will make it.. july, august, september october... hmmm.. pretty cool in October...well, fingers, toes and eyes crossed, time will tell!

Here is a link I got in d-mail today! Awesome

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1963/
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6814083

Thanks For Sharring the link
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6814308

SAW-rright!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6826487

out watering yesterday and what do I see but a tiny little leaf top ..looks like one of the seeds I planted at least a month ago has desided to poke it little head out ... :)
I also planted 7 more seeds for a late crop. Thinking I might get a few Luffa this year
Cheryl
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6841629

Ok, todays the big day, the baby loofa is now in the garden. I put a wire cage around it so the bunnies would not gobble it up. Now hoping for the best. I know its late, but maybe we will get lucky and get something by the end of the season other than wasted water in watering it!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6841649

another pic...

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6843220

My New baby loofa just went POOF .. gone ... if a bunny got it it had to jump about 2' over the side of the barrel...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6843839

oh no!!! Well you know them Texas wabbits!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

July 25, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6864149

One thing I have learned from all the years of growing luffa...is to stop looking for them...otherwise they rot and fall off the vine. So this year I havent spent the time looking for them, I just keep redirecting the vine to where I want it to grow and hoping for the best.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6867358

Well Something must have cut one of my vines .. heres my first luffa after it dried and was peeled

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6867367

I had to cut it open to get the seeds out
hope the others stay on the vine a bit longer

Thumbnail by denimangle

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6868890

Oh my, you are waaaay ahead of me! I am lucky to have 4 leaves on my plant.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6875215

lol mine have been planted for over 4 mons... :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6878662

Well, you got a fine headstart!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6883312

Mine will never catch up.. well we hope it will, but I doubt it! If I get any fruits I would be utterly surprized with this late bloomer..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6883328

oops, forgot pic!...I had to take it with my eyes closed due to what all was said above about watching the loofa grow

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

July 30, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #6883591

LOL...you can watch the vines grow all you want...just don't look for the luffha's. Never fails when I find the new little babies they rot on me...soooooo I don't look for them anymore. Just tend to the vine. Here I have to watch out for white fly.
Mine have been growing since they made there way out of a rotted luffha left over from last years crop. I had one go bad on me, so I just tossed it at the base of the fence. When they sprouted I thinned them out and let the rest grow.
You should be able to shake the seeds out of the luffha once it has dried completely. It does make it easier if you beat it...uummm I mean tap it on a shelf or something to help knock them loss. You will have to do that several times to get all of them out. I sit on the couch,one end of luffha in a big plastic bag...tapping it against the coffee table to dislodge all the seeds. If you hold it up to the light you will be able to see any remaining seeds.
Once I have a basket of peeled and seeded luffha's then they go in the washer with a half cup of bleach. But mind you the washer will have to be wiped out after. They shed a small amount and you will get the undeveloped seeds left in the tub. I do this because I use my luffha in soaps I make for family and friends. You can also use a bucket or tub if you wish.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6885158

Cool! Hmmm, I am a thinking.. Maybe I can take that cage off.. or should I not chance it to the bunnies snce its the ONLYEST loof I got this season and I am babying it. I promise not to look for any fruits later? How big do the leaves get? I dont want to restrict the thing as it is late growing to start and it might need all the encouragement it can get!! LOL!

And thanks for the advise on the washer. I cant wait.

Well, I am off to the GPS4 to plant some ornamental kale...anyone else doing it?
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 1, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6892432

The leaves can measure about 10-11 inch long to 11-12 inches wide thats where mine are at right now.Had to go out and pull some of the vines out of my other plants yesterday. Turn your back on it for a second and it goes wild.

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 1, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6892472

Heres a picture of one of my luffha leaves...

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 1, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6892482

And a picture of the vines...

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 1, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6892489

And PLEASE don't tell the vine I seen this...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6896160

LOL!!! DINT SEE NUTHING...

mine got more tendrils today! YAY! Then I forgot to take the pic!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6898358

Lady how many plants are in that picture .. all mine are just 1 runner not full at all
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6899493

Ok the leaves on mine are only about as big as my hand. So until this critter gets up out of its cage and starts grabbing other things.. I guess the leaves will be small. But do you think the cage will hinder it? I got baby bunnies every where here!

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 3, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6900088

Cage won't hurt your vine one bit, nor stop it from growing. So if it's protecting it from the bunnies leave it I say.
My luffha are growing on a wooden fence. I don't give them any other help, they grab onto whatever they want and grow up it on their own.
How many plants? More than 5 and less than 10 I guess. Does'nt take many to make a full looking vine like what I have. That and the rain all most everyday and tropical weather here helps.

I need to ask...Did somesome from here send me a envelope for luffha seeds? I got a envelope in a business enverlope but no note to let me know what it was for...I do alot of seed/plant swapping. So without that note I don't know what the envelope was for. Its from the Ellery, IL. area. Please send me an e-mail and I will get those seeds right out to you.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 11:16 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6906411

Thanks for that info, I am gonna leave the cage. Its almost a foot tall now and going to be reaching for a fencepost soon. I have been watering it daily and it has goood color from the chicken pooo!
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6913083

Oh Ladygreensleeves! What great luffa plants you have!

I was going to blame the heat for mine expiring...but I see your in West Palm Beach, so I suppose that excuse isn't valid anymore! LOL! Good for you! Is that Lemongrass under the 2nd pic?

Kat
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 8, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #6921584

Thanks Kat and good eye ...yes thats lemon grass peeking out from under the Luffha. There is also a green pepper plant and some purple potatoe vines there at the bottom.

I've always had pretty good luck with luffha's just about everywhere I've grown it. Just have to make sure it's in the ground after the last frost of the season and don't disturb the roots while transplanting. Best to sow directly into the ground or a big pot that it can stay in. Water as needed, and it will let you know if it's not getting enough when it starts wilting.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6932937

Well, here it is.. its up and out of its cage, we finally got a cattle panel for it to climbe on, then what did I do to it today but derned near killed the poo lil thing.. I dropped the cattle panel in installation and it landed on the cage knocking the poor plant for a loop./ Well I got the panel up, put the poor plant upright and watered it. Low and behold its surviving...!!

WHERES DA rain?????

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6955848

Well, I got a little rain. Checked the little loofa and its got a couple more branchs coming on the vine! YAY! NO flowers though!

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 19, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #6963586

Lady:

I have a big Lemongrass plant in my garden also...I'm trying to figure out how to get it into my soap!

Thumbnail by KatG

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

August 20, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6966832

Kat:

Don't know what kind of soap you are making but here is a link to a site for a recipe. Hope it helps.
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/r/lemongrasssoap.htm

Regina
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6991482

LOOFA UPDATE! I have buds! Well, the count down is, will I have sponges by frost date 10/15, but possibly sooner?

The question is is how long from the bud stage now to seeing the loofa "gourd"?

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6991931

Looks great Blossombuddy! And thanks for the link Regina!

Kat
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6992439

Thanks Kat! Keeping fingers crossed it does its thing before frost!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6999239

well heres my update:
for some reason my vines are drying up they get watered everyday ,, The seeds from when I replanted never poked there little heads out of the soil ... I do have a few luffas on the vines . so Ill have seeds for next year.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7002854

Awww, deni!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7010153

Im hoping now we dont get an early frost. Its been dipping to the mid 40's at night and thats a wee bit early for that kind of weather but they are talking back ti the 80's in a few days so fingers crossed...

Here she is again!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7017779

WOW!!! 40s thats a bit chilly... for this time of year . hope it warms up for you
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7017944

It did.. just hope the nites warm too.

Well the loofa is still hanging in there! It looks good.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7045930

I peaked.. I got a bud! The temptation was killing me! So ok, now how many days till "sponge??"

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7048215

Dont look...its a blossom! hehehehe!

Well, if I am gonna get short seasond, I am gonna enjoy the blooms on this thing! I might not get any sponges this late in the season, but I am a hoping!

It was worth planting anyway just to enjoy the plant clinbing up on my trellis and to see the bloom!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009

Post #7051817

Awww, the leaf hopper looked too!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7051838

And today, the vine in all its glory! This is just one seed started too.

:>)

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7054182

Good for you Buddy! Really pretty bloom too! Can't wait to see those luffas!

Kat
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #7058380

Fingers crossed. amazing, just a few days and the leaves are much larger now too!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7062238

Awww dang it! That pretty bloom I had was ate off this morning.. guess I should have never peaked. IM NOT PEAKING AGAIN! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7069128

I did not peak.. my camera is out of control!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7069161

Ok, no more peaking... that bud needs its privacy.

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

September 16, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7071163

Good going bloossom...my vines have really starting putting on the luffhas too. Bit late this year however. This has been a strange growing year for everything actually...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7072407

My loofa is late because I got a late start.. up north here I am hoping I get some off of it, but right now am just happy to enjoy the the vine.

Frost is just around the corner!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

September 17, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7072795

This time last year I was already harvesting luffha's. This year my vines are just setting luffha's. I have a couple of big ones hiding amoung the vines. I'm seeing alot of small ones just getting started when I'm pretending to not to be looking at it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7073646

LOL! Why is it soooo dang hard not to take a peak?

Im gonna have to plan for next years planting date earlier. This has been a stitch!

So ok, what are you gonna do with all yer sponges?
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

September 18, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7076040

Heck if I know...lol. I still have some left over from last year. I have used some for putting in soaps. I do use them in the bath and at the kitchen sink for scrubbing dishes too. I've given some of them away too. And I have enough seeds to stuff a large zip lock freezer bag full.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7076075

Sounds like you could start yer own sponge farm! LOL!

I was wanting to grow them to share with our local food panty for those in need. I thought it would be a cool thing to put with their groceries! Ya might not be able to eat it, but they shure are nice for taking a bath or pot scrubbing etc! A wee bit of a luxury!

Ok, sposed to get to the 40's up here.. hope my loofa can survive! Otherwise I might have to beg some seeds off of you!

This morning it was so nippy I could see my breath.. as bad as that is! Harrr harrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7108164

Ok, my loofah is still going strong. The little loofettes are only about as thick as a pencil and it has quite a bit of them.

This is only one plant. Sowed the seed on 6/21...I dont know guys... 9/26 and we still have a way to go...frost is just around the corner...I dont think I am gonna see full blown sponges.

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #7111500

Ahhhhhhhhhhh????? Maybe...if it's a mild Fall! I don't know where you are Blossom, but it sounds like you planted from seed just a litte too late. Next year I think I would start them inside if you can...Maybe in March or April.

Don't give up though...you never know!

Kat
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7116105

Oh Kat, last night the wind did serious damages...ripped up lots of leaves... I dont know if there is hope! Its still green, but it got rather chilly too so...time is very short!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009

Post #7118353

this is crazy I have blossoms everywhere. we had rain everyday for over 2 weeks and the temp is low 80s Maybe ill get a few more luffas before its said and done

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 2:41 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #7118792

Well, yer in TX! Im a tad northerly in a state I prefer not to be in!
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #7118802

You just have to keep your fingers crossed Blossom! You never know!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7122196

Movie time P. Allen Smith's!

http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=8&video=730
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

October 3, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7128633

My vines are still growing strong. Setting luffha's like crazy now. Have alot of flowers and luffha's of all sizes on the vines. Looks like I have another ziplock baggy of seeds in the making...lol.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7128670

LOL! Well few days after the nasty wind and the vine is hanging in there.. more bloomers and it does havelittle gourdettos but they are only as slender as a pencil and about as long...So how long before they get big?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7130107

I have luffa in all stages .. Some drying , some about bright green about 18" long, some tiny pencil size & still flowers. I Thought Luffa like the heat but now that it has cooled off they are going crazy ... Luffa soap here we come ...:)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7130115

My weather lately has been around 70s daytime.. maybe just a hair below 50 at night with a few nights cooler and wet for the last week
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009

Post #7161213

Well shoooot! On 10/10 we had a killer frost.. it was more like ice...
My poor loofa is really damaged, but sorta hanging in there...Im afraid there will be no sponges for me.

I am going to have to figure out a much earlier planting date for next year and try these again!

I think I will try for like February 12 and sow a few indoors then.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 3:45 PM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7194959

heres a piciture I took a few mins ago. You can see I Still am getting flowers .Nice luffas growing & some drying on the vine .. Hope the weather holds a bit longer. guess thats what 3 weeks of rain will do ..

This message was edited Oct 21, 2009 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7194970

heres one more

Thumbnail by denimangle

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7195129

NEATO!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #7223231

It is done...

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7237709

ok now that I know Ill have luffa to make luffa soap with. What does everyone think the best soap to use ..Melt & Pour or hand made soap?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7263089

denimangle...I missed that part of the lesson! I was having too much fun growing the derned thing! But unlike you I did not get any loofs!

So...well anyway, guess we will both have to wait for the answer!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

November 12, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #7265999

Hey everyone...sorry I've been MIA...busy,busy

I make the melt and pour soaps with my luffha's. Mainly because it's clear enough even with color that you can see the luffha inside the soap. I find most everyone likes being able to "see" what they are getting. I also suggest offering luffha by the inch...a 4 to 6 in piece of luffha clean but no "additives" to us as they wish. When they ask me about its uses I tell them besides bathing with and exfoliation...the kitchen, great for teflon pot and pans, won't scratch them and other scrubbing jobs. Washing the car...won't scratch the paint job and great for getting the bugs off. Gardeners...great for scrubbing the dirt off hands and knees.
And when it needs to be cleaned and sanitized...just put it inside a glass turned upside down in the dishwasher and presto...cleaned sanitized luffha.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7266704

Ok, what if you dont have a dishwasher.. I got a loofa that is well, kinda developed a black yuk in it. I tried tossing it in the clothes washer... well that was great, the loofa turned out to be indestructable unlike the socks and other things that dang thing likes to eat, but its still got the yuk in it...Hmmmmm now what!?
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

November 13, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7268938

Loofha are tough, makes me wonder why anyone would want to eat it...like to much fiber for me : ) try a mild bleach bath, soak it for a bit in a container that you can fill up and cover with a lid, cause loofha float. Or weigh it down with something.

I don't allow my loofha to dry on the vine, makes them difficult to peel and they are very dark in appearence and often have rotten spots. Instead I pick mine when they start turning yellow and the little vine attached to the big vine has died . The skin comes off in one big piece and the sponge is nice and white. I let it dry, shake out the seeds, then throw a bunch of them in the washer with a splash of bleach. From the washer I let them dry again and then I use them in soaps and gift baskets.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7269205

Lady thanks for the harvesting tip ...I picked 2 that wewe just turning and they peeled easy but were still really wet inside what a mess (YUCK!!!!) ill let the rest dry first before trying to get out the seeds ..
What are you getting for luffa by the inch??? or for your soap?

Blossom, mine are still going strong ... flowers still blooming
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #7269276

Deni, Send real estate catalog...LOL! Winter here sucks!
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

November 13, 2009
7:57 AM

Post #7269462

The vine to them has to be dried out and the luffha turning yellow...when peeled they will be "green" so to speak and feeling damp. Some people will sqeeze the seeds out. I just set them on a shelf for a day or two in the greenhouse and let them dry. This allows the seeds to dry, and you can then shake the seeds out for next years crop. Much easier than chipping and flaking the pieces off when allowed to fully dry. And you get a much nicer sponge.

Prices depend on the size...$3-$5. With the soaps depends on the kind of soaps I make with it, some are sliced from a mold, some are individual molds, some have ground up luffha,color,scents,size,time all factor into it as well. Prices start at $3 - $6

My vine is still flowering as well. Most likely will take it down mid Dec. if not sooner.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7287194

Blossom, LOL there is some land for sale down the road from me :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7287647

I need a moat, house in middle and lots of acereage!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7289981

LOL...Well you might have to dig your own moat .. but we are in the middle of the woods ... & buy up anything that comes for sale ...We don't wan't all the land just what touches ours :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7290004

LOL!! YUP! Right up to the moat! So you got good horse country? Need some space to run my puny ponies!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7290011

Oh yeah lots of horse places around here. we traded the horses for Steel Ponies you only have to feed them when you want to ride them
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #7290482

You mean fiberglass ponies dontcha? Gitting anymore its hard to find a steel pony!

My ponies are a luanmoor, fertilizr, atv unit. They got R-condishuning, real leather, ultra smooooth ride. Nun of that thar bouncy denture crackin and butt busting stuff them others got. cept for 3 of them. I need to trade them in for a better ride. Either way, they produce the best muniar in the west. Heck I 'd trade a few of them for some of them that short horned beef if another guy had a notion to!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7292823

OH No the frame is still Steel ... Fenders & Bags are fiberglass :P
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #7293059

in the voice of Homer... DOAF, smacking head in same acting! +^)

Well, ok, neighbor... I will bite, how much acreage and how much fer moolah?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7294751

LOL
I really don't have a clue but the next time I drive by its about 2 miles down the road ... ill take down the # if you really want it
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7294805

You have my d-mail!

I just need to calculate how many loofa I am gonna have ta raise to buy if the dang place has an earl well. LOL!

Um, jest how far is this place from GW?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7303806

GW????
Id almost bet the Farm there is no Oil Well ...everything around here has Gas well but they keep that when they see ya the land ...LOL Lots of loofas I saw some on the WWW for $1.25 an inch ...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7303812

No D-Mail here on my end :(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7304280

denimangle...you click on my name and there ya go...it takes you to the D-mail! Just like if I was ta click on yours...!

Well it was Crawford.. LOL! Never been there, but heard it was a nice place.

Whaaat a Texan without and oil well??? Unheard of! Just dont seem right! Well, I would hate to buy one anyway.. but I sure do like Texas. I liked Amarillo the best when I was there in the 70's! Dallas freaked me out with them mirrored buildings and a 10 lane parking lot at noon.. Jeez, just what were they thinking when they designed that? Im sure things have changed a bit since though! Bet that 10 lane is a double decker by now eh?

Well anyway, .. ye-gaaads, $1.25 an inch? ...with that price, who needs an earl well! LOL!

Yano, maybe, ya just gotta invest in beans.. get the gas for free, but the way things are going yano the revnewrs will put a tax on that too, sheesh yano, aint nuthing sacred anymore.

Looks like we be subsidizing the farm with loofa.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 25, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7308384

Your Cracking me up LOL
I know where to read D-Mail .. I ment I didn't have any new mail...
We are a couple 100 miles from GW's ranch and about 100 from their place im Dallas.
Amarillo is a days drive from where I am Here in the Piney Woods
I stay as Far away from Dallas as I can :) It is a Mess to drive in.
Luffa Farm ... Subsidizing Sure just ad to the Trillins hes spending now ...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7309961

LOL! Wull, I dint send ya any new mail!

Oh maaan! After all these ye-ars they aint straighten that mess up in Dallas yet? Wull, ev'r since someone shot JR, the place has gone down hill in a handbasket. Hate ta see the potholes in that 10 lane parking lot
now.. bet ya could bury an 18 hauling doubles in one. All them mirrors in Dallas, ya just cant tell which way yer headed or which way the sun comes up. Yup, what a mess that is thar.

I reckon I shuda bought San Antone when they first put the moat about it. The real estate was a lot cheaper then. Er, was that that place in New Mexico... I always get them two mixed up. No matter...

Well anyway, I decided today to double up my space on the loofa production.. put up a nifty fence they can crawler on and just need to get through the ice and monsoon season here and w'll be good to go.

Ima thinking though, and this aheyar wull be our lil secret... yano, we could make a killing on them thar loofas if we interbreed them thar with these heyar anaconda gourd.. $1.25 an inch and whooooohooo! Sooooo whadda ya think??? Them puppies ought to pay off the farm in no time!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7326620

well I guess winter is here & the end of my Luffa growing for the year ... weatherman is calling for snow Friday .. & a low of 27
I still have flowers with little baby luffas :(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7326674

And here I am 12/1...should have snow and Im running around in short sleeves and 57 degree sunny weather!...and no loofa
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7326707

well the good news is it will be 60 by Sunday ...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7326827

Here or there????? Im dreaming of a GREEN CHRISTMAS~
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7327213

oh yes always want a GREEN Christmas ...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #7327266

http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/o/holm5215/Untilxmas/Index.html
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7350552

note to self dont let your luffas freeze they turn to mush :(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #7351286

Snow huh...me too or as we say its three season time.. winter, spring and fall...if you dont like the weather, wait a half hour, it will change! Goofy weather!

Dont know whether or not to rake leaves, shovel snow or pray for the Easter bunny!

Well mark the calender for the next loofa sowing! 2010 here we come!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7351326

I think snow would have been ok We didn't see any of the white stuff.. it was the 27* air that got them. yeppers better planning for 2010 . I did get 6 18" long that I will make soap with.
Ready for spring :)
Loyceann
Zephyrhills, FL

January 15, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #7465291

I use the M&P soap molds such as the ones for the massage bars. I cut a slice of loofah and put it in the mold and then pour the melted glycerin over the mold. It makes the soap pretty and since I have so many M&P molds I never run out of ideas. They also work wonderful in baskets. I put them in small bags and tie with a ribbon.

Grandma-and-Me-Soaps
ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

January 16, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7466417

I have done the same thing with my luffha . Slice a piece lay it in the mold and pour the soap over it. I have also ground my luffha up and added it to the soap. So many variations depending on the mold.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7548300

ok heres the luffa soap im still going to do some in the PVC pipe will pick up a cap today

Thumbnail by denimangle

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7722452

Well thats a neato looking soap!

I have loofa germ! WHooohooo! ANd so it begins!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7853703

Just bumped them up to #1500 cans... and so it begins.. I hope I get sponges this year!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7855214

Hi Bloosom,
I got a lot of seeds from just a dozen or so luffas from last year .. I planted a hand full and am having great luck so far . I have 2 that are already trying to vine that came up on their own ... Getting a nice slow rain today .. should make them really take off ..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7855233

Oh so jealous but mine are gonna have to wait until at least another week before I get themin the ground.. the chickens are not done tilling!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7855740

LOVE IT !!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7855825

LOL! What? ... the chickens or the pot stash? Everybody seems to lust after my pot stash around here for some reason... I dont get it! LOL! Its like no one has seen a pot heap before... what is it huh? LOL! Whats wrong with my stash o' pot?

Alright Henrietta, get a move on it.,. them loofas want room to pickle out. I want spongees. Move it move it MOOOOOVE IT!

(God, I have to stop with the TY PENNINGTON routine.. cant get that mans voice out of my ears for some reason. Must be an illness...it keeps ringing in my ear...!)

Scratch, scratch, claw, claw... beak beak beak! Peck!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7856694

The Tiller Chickens ...
lots of green houses around this area .. big pot stashes ...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7856917

hehehe!

I love it the "Tiller Chickens" LOL! Say it slooooow the TILLLLL-ler chickens! Has an eriee ring to it! HA!

The Tillers are getting married tomorrow. There will be a new bo in town! I do hope that the honeymooning does not interfere with their job. Last thing I need is hens on FEMLA.

ladygreensleeves
West Palm Beach, FL

June 4, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7857457

Man what a pot stash...and I thought I had a stash of pot going on...Love your tillers too, used to have some of them while back.

Luffa are all volunteers this year...even gave away a few plants to the neighbor. Vines are already to the top of the fence and spreading out...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7857561

LOL!! And ta think it feels like i just started heaping pot yesterday! All the purdee colors...hehehe

Go here!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103915/

hope them volunteers are straight!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7991586

Hey everybody, how about going to :

LOOFAS FOR 2010? WHose IN?

New linkie coming!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2010

Post #7991682

Run...

I got it over here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118075/

LOOFAS FOR 2010 - WHOSE IN?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 9 Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America