Barn Removal

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our old barn finally collapsed spring of 2007. We've been trying to get it cleaned up & concrete removed. I found a man to do it. He started this afternoon. Also the drive across the creek below us washed out this spring. He is going to fix it for the owner using the old concrete from the barn. We won't need to have it hauled away. We bought this farm site from this man after renting for nearly 20 years. He was very good to us renting & also selling us the site, so we are not charging him for the concrete.
Here is the first step, digging the hole to burn the wood.
Bernie

More pictures to follow.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Bernie, I'm thankful things are working out well for you. Sometimes getting rid of fallen down building in is so problematic. I remember how many years it took to get the last of our old barn disposed of properly.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Bernie, have you checked with any architectural salvage companies about the barn wood? I don't know if these places buy the wood or not, but I do know old barn wood is pretty popular.

We've got a couple of nearby barns that have fallen in that I would love to get my hands on some of the wood. But I just don't have time to work on anything else right now.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Today the silo was taken down. I wanted to get a picture, but it was done when I got home.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Then the fun began. We had burned some of the scrap in a pit on Wed. The man pushed so more items in there this afternoon. Of course it started burning. It got into the pile of scrap & took off big time. Would have been OK, except an ember got on the roof of our corn crib. Had to call fire department. Only a little burned spot on the wooden shingles. They stayed around until the pile was burned down. Also watered down the building real good.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is that remains now.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm thankful that fire didn't damage the corn crib badly. Dry wood burns so quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images