Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: What going on with my DR

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 7, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aspin111
Screven, GA

July 10, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5233564

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to help with the problem I'm having with my Desert rose plants.. The first pic is about seven months old plant and its in a bonsai pot. I notice that one first. Then when i looked a the others and they looked the same, i new i had a problem.. Has anyone seen anything like this ?? Thanks ,, . , ., Greg

Thumbnail by aspin111
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5234751

Hi Greg, I'm glad you posted your problem here! There are many people growing adeniums and I think someone will be able to help. You might want to give some additional pictures so we can see the entire plant. How many plants are affected? Were they all purchased or acquired at the same time? And where do you keep them? - Lynn
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5241781

Hi Greg,

That's tough with just that single image.

First thing that come to mind is over watering, or staying to wet in a pot or soil that doesn't drain well. This can also cause a fungus, which could cause that as well.

It doesn't look like damage from any pests we've dealt with, and the healthy leaves don't show signs of nutrient deficiency, so I could probably rule out pests and lack of micro nutrients.

Talk to me about the pot, soil, and location it is in.

Chris
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5241793

One other thing.

The brown areas. Are they dry and crispy or soft and damp or mushy?

Chris
aspin111
Screven, GA

July 13, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5251656

Thanks Lynn and Chris.. I don't have anymore photos at this time... This is my very first experience with Adeniums. I have about 30 and all were grown from seed. The one in the photo is one of my oldest ones And its growing in a bonsai mixed soil, 50 percent crushed lava rock, some peat,some garden soil and perlite. But some of the younger one are doing the same and they are still in the seed starting mix... The plants get get full sun 2/3 of the day.. Chris, I think they might be getting to much water because we have been getting a good bit of afternoon thunder showers lately.. oh, and the damaged leaves are soft, damp and mushy... What do ya'll think ??? Thanks again .,.,.,.,. Greg
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5251679

Soft damp and mushy sounds like too much water, but you do have a well draining mix. Afternoon showers in your area can easily cause this. Try and let them dry out a bit even if it means putting them under cover for a little bit, and treat with a broad spectrum fungicide.

It's tough to keep control of water when mother nature isn't co-operating.

Chris

mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5252400

I think too much moisture is definitely your problem. Mine get 1/2 day of sun (morning til early afternoon) and are kept under the eaves to help them from getting too much rain. They really perk up being outside for the summer! But I have noticed that the smallest ones have sunburned leaves, likely from too much sun too quickly. But those leaves are not soft and mushy. I try to water them early in the day so they will not be damp at nightfall - much the way I care for orchids.

Hope things work out for your adeniums! - Lynn
LovekeyRanch
Mount Calm, TX

July 14, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5256347

Don't water until the base becomes a little spongy. If the base in rock hard the plant has enough water.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America