Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping: Way beyond Cercis canadensis

Communities > Forums > Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5236080

Where I work, we carry 18 different cultivars and species of Cercis. There are ones with white variegation ('Silver Cloud'), chartreuse foliage ('Hearts of Gold'), of course purple foliage ('Forest Pansy'), really small leaves ('Ace of Hearts'), weeping branches ('Covey' & 'Traveller'), near red blooms ('Appalachian Red'), double-form blooms ('Flame') and pale pink blooms ('Pauline Lily') not to mention a Chain-flowered Redbud (C. racemosa), a dwarf form ('Little Woody') and a seedless variety ('Don Egoff'). There is no such thing as a boring redbud.

My favorite (pictured below at the J.C. Raulston Arboretum) is Cercis canadensis subsp. texensis 'Traveller'. The growth habit alone provides year-round interest, the blooms are a rich shade of pinky-purple and the foliage is glossy with gently rippled margins. What's not to love?

Thumbnail by plantfreak78
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Aunt_A

July 11, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5238100

plantfreak78,

Thanks for your comments and for the GREAT picture. Adorable!

I know some would really like the seedless variety.

I'm glad so many people like Redbuds!

April
Beekeepthyme
Georgetown, FL

May 28, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9142298

I planted 2 Redbuds in memory of my parents when they died. I planted them close together, one a year ahead of the other. 0ne tree forms seedpods, the other not. They bloom at different times, and I can see them from several rooms in my house. I've seen the cardinals eating the nutty little center of the bloom, and my bees are fond of them, as well. A beautiful little tree.
markkromer
Apopka, FL

May 29, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9142718

I have two redbuds here in central Florida (west of Orlando). They do well and the mule loves to nibble on them.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9143355

markkromer, my mom is from Apopka! Foliage plant capital of the world, right? :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yay Redbuds Mrs_Ed 4 Jul 11, 2008 3:51 AM
A whitebud, redbud? Redbud, whitebud.... libellule 3 Jul 11, 2008 12:41 AM
I adore red and whitebuds vossner 1 Jul 11, 2008 12:22 AM
Western redbuds KaperC 7 Jul 6, 2010 7:39 AM
edible melody 3 Jul 14, 2008 12:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America