Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping: edible

Communities > Forums > Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your LandscapingReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5236362

The blooms ARE edible for sure, as I have done so myself. They have the taste of fresh spring peas, and are lovely in salads.

just make sure that you know where the blooms came from, and that nothing has been sprayed nearby. Also, collecting edibles from along the roadside is not advised because of the exhaust from the vehicles will make an invisible coating on whatever you harvest. As with all wild edibles, when in doubt...don't.
Aunt_A

July 11, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5238093

Melody,
I wish it were Spring again. I just might try 'em...
You are so right about what invisible coatings might be on whatever one harvests!
Thanks for your comments.
April
Rightstar
Cincinnati, OH

July 14, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5256388

I look forward every year to a spring salad with redbud flowers and purple wild violet flowers torn up and sprinkled on top. I found out that redbuds are edible from a sign in the San Antonio botanical garden which claimed the early pioneers planted them as food crop plants. It said you could eat the flowers and the pods, while they were still very small and tender. The flowers have a light lemony flavor which is delightful, but I've never tried the pods.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5256430

I've never tried the pods either, but it sounds interesting...hmmm...got some out in the garden right now. Might add them to stir fry tonight...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Redbud Trees: Add Carefree Color and Appeal to Your Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yay Redbuds Mrs_Ed 4 Jul 11, 2008 3:51 AM
A whitebud, redbud? Redbud, whitebud.... libellule 3 Jul 11, 2008 12:41 AM
I adore red and whitebuds vossner 1 Jul 11, 2008 12:22 AM
Western redbuds KaperC 7 Jul 6, 2010 7:39 AM
Way beyond Cercis canadensis plantfreak78 4 May 29, 2012 10:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America