Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: What do you wish you still had?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 31, Views: 325
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #5239783

I saw the Barbie thread and it made me think, what do you wish you still had?

I had these little fairy things that turned into flowers. I don't remember what they were, or probably what they were like, but I remember them so fondly I wish I still had them.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5240436

I wish I still had the Holly Hobbie purse that had a doll in the front pocket. I kept the doll, don't know what happened to the purse and it is in good condition, considering the fact that I'm over 39 now~LOL!
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5241537

I had a purse doll, I'm not sure it was the same one, being a decade younger than you. Why don't they have cool toys like that anymore? I get frustrated so often with the modern toy philosophy. I have a 7 year old step-daughter. I want one doll with lots of clothes, not 20 dolls with 1 outfit each. I want building thing that don't just make a handful of designs. I want toys that don't require batteries. I could complain more, but those are the big three.

I actually have an "adult" doll that I collect clothes for. He's a plush Cthulu. Here he is at Loch Ness in Scottish garb. He was our mascot on our two UK trips.

Thumbnail by zhinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5247922

I wish I had kept my baby doll and all my Little Golden Books from the late 40's and early 50's. I have been able to purchase many of the books from antique dealers, and some wonderful people online have found some for me. The baby doll I had, had a real rubber body. Not many of those around anymore.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

July 13, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5252333

White House menu from the Lyndon Johnson Administration. My cousin was at the dinner celebration the Apollo astronauts. He gave me the menu signed on the back by Chas. Lindburgh, Alan Shepard, Werner Von Braun, Betty Grissom, Clark and Mary Clifford, and my cousin, Stark Draper.

My complete collection of all of the Wizard of OZ series by Frank Baum.

My autograph book from 1960-1965.

Log Cabin maple syrup can that was shaped like a log cabin.
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5252411

I have Roman shards of pottery.

The first reader digest, unabridged, copy of Gone with the Wind.

and a piece of a close to 5000 year old yew tree http://www.sacredconnections.co.uk/holyland/fortingallyew.htm
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

July 13, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5252458

Wow! zhinu, you still possess those treasures? Lucky, or shall we say, SMART You!
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5252586

The shards and the yew I picked up in the last 4 years, I picked them up on my trips to the UK. The Gone with the Wind I inherited from my Great Grand Mother in 1989. It's not actually worth much, but it's cool.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #5256221

Well, I guess I count myself lucky, because my Mom kept everything in her attic. I did lose a few old game boards when their house developed a leak :( I have my 1960 Barbies, and a box full of Golden Books. If I was good, Mom would buy me one when we went to the grocery once a week. I even have my LITTLE BLACK SAMBO.
Teresa in KY
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5256633

I remember Little Black Sambo. Didn't he run in a circle and turned into butter or something like that? My mom used to read it to me.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5256685

When my grandmother died and her sister, my great aunt, died they left me some things that were from the late 1800's - knick knacks, collectibles such as painted china iced tea set, French creamers and sugar bowls, etc. One of the most treasured things that my aunt left me were from when her husband was in FDR's( first term as president) cabinet. There were handwritten notes from Mrs. Roosevelt, place cards from luncheons and dinners all hand-written on special cards that were decorated w/tiny feathers to resemble birds - all sorts of stuff like that. Also my year book from my senior year in high school in Houston, 1949. All those things got tossed as my husband was doing the tossing and I wasn't able to be in the attic because I was pregnant (again) and to him old stuff was old stuff and "you don't keep old stuff". I could be independently wealthy right now if I still had some of the "old stuff" and besides it's "neat".

Ann
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5257051

bluegrassmom - Your edition of Little Black Sambo is probably quite valuable. Can you post a pic of the cover ? I'd love to see it ! I had it when I was a child too. It has been revised, re-illustrated, and even the wording has been changed over the years. The last edition of it was not well received.

Here is a link that tells the history of the book. When I was a child, I only thought of it as a cute story about a little boy and a tiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Black_Sambo
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5257458

plantladyhou - I'm so sorry! As a history major, it amazes me how many people don't respect history, and that stuff was just cool.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5257629

My 1969 Volvo.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5257639

I used to love this car. PS 144

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5262852

Me too, just a cute story about a little boy and his tiger.

Back in the early 50's mom bought me the Cinderella storybook that came along with two yellow 45 rpm records. The recording would speak the words and when it was time to turn the page a "doot, doot" sound would speak. I loved that book and played the records to death.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5262887

My 'Little Miss No-Name' doll. I remember seeing that doll in the store and I cried and cried because she looked so sad. Santa brought her to me for Christmas that year. I had just turned 5. I've often wished I still had her. http://www.whitless.com/littlemissnoname2.htm
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

July 15, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5262911

What do I wish I still had? 16 candles on my birthday cake and a new crinoline petticoat.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5262922

I, too, have my copy of Little Black Sambo and agree with all said. Just a very cute story about a boy and his tiger!

I still have an original recording of Gene Autry's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5263148

JoanJ - Wow, I've seen things like 'Little Miss No-Name' in the modern day, like Hot Topic type stores, but that's pretty far from the standard for that time.

Aguane - I could use a few less candles on my cake, but I'd prefer a few more bucks in my wallet or a few more degrees on my wall. As long as we're talking about things we can't have right now ;o) Though if I was going to your birthday party I'd try to convince everyone to put only 16 candles on you cake after that comment.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5263590

I wish I had my old Schwinn Bike.
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5263692

I had a banana seat Schwinn, bubble gum pink. That's what I used to learn to ride by myself on.

I'm somewhat like the shoemaker's barefoot daughter. My dad makes bikes, and I don't have one right now, and have never had a custom, though I have had mass produced ones he designed.

That's one I'd take back, my Alpinestar T-bike.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5275134

I wish I have my doll Crissy where it has pull on top of hair to make long red hair and wind up back in short hair it had orange dress so disappoitned my neice cutting up hair and ruin that... I wish my mom to watch this doll away from not ruin that was my father bought me this doll when I were 9 years old after a year he kill himself now I don't have any to remember from my dad wish I could find this doll who has Cissy prefer to have my hand to remember from my dad bought for me. I wanted to have this so badly... =( It never stop me thinking of this doll Crissy.

Do anyone have one Crissy so please take picture so I can see it how much I miss that doll. Thanks!!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2008 4:03 PM
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 18, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5277304

Is this Crissy?

http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollprofiles/p/crissydoll.htm
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5277534

Oh yes yes yes thank u thank u that one what my dad bought me this Crissy doll make me tear in my eyes love that doll wish to know where I can buy who has it like this one. Thank u for tell me that u found it, I appreciate so much.
playinindirt
Harwinton, CT

March 15, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8429280

My metal colonial style doll house with all of its furniture and jointed little family people. I spent many hours playing with it and took very good care of it, even washing the floors in it with a miniature mop and bucket. Came the day when I decided I was getting too old for it, I took it all apart and carefully packed it away to save. Perhaps a year later, my brother who was stationed in VA in the navy came to visit a few days and when he left it was before I got home from school that day. My heart broke when my mother said that he took my beloved doll house and all of the furniture and family to take back down south to give to some of his wife's "poor" relatives because the kids had nothing to play with. NOBODY even asked me first and I resent him to this day for taking it behind my back. Sorry, I'm not an uncharitable person but that one episode of my life really did hurt.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8429296

Redrose, you can find lots of the Crissy dolls on eBay for reasonable prices.

There are lots of things I wish I still had. But there are some things which got saved, like the stuffed toys from my first Christmas in 1944. I also have a polar bear which I got when I was quite small. I distinctly remember seeing it in the store, and was elated when my parents bought it for me.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8440741

Interesting thread. I wish I still had a 45 record of "Tortoise and the Hare" My cousin would die if I could find that or at least a digital copy of the story. The Tortoise would say "I may be slow, but I'm sure" in a long drawn out way.

I do still have the metal battery powered train set my Aunt and her boyfriend at the time gave to me for Christmas in 1960. I can still remember that like it was yesterday, but can't remember yesterday for some reason...
Doug

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8440897

Luv that Volvo! I wish I still had either one of mine, preferably the 1980 one.

My mom's copy of Gone With The Wind that was signed by Margaret Mitchell.

My grandmothers' spinning wheel.

A huge amethyst quartz rock that my grandfather found somewhere. I mean that thing was ginormous and beautiful.

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8440978

Doug, here's your "The Tortoise and the Hare" record: http://www.bonanza.com/booths/qtdebs/items/Disneyland_Record_TORTOISE_and_the_HARE_45rpm_1961 Enjoy!

Wish I had my original issue of Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John." It had a different ending than the one almost everyone has. The original ending said, "one h**l of a man." That wasn't acceptable in 1961, so they recalled all the records and changed the ending to "a big, big man." I bought mine as soon as they came in, and I think the store returned them that night. There's one on eBay right now for $30!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8442782

faeden, after I posted that I found that exact website and ordered the record. I'll record it to my hard drive and convert to an MP3 and email to my cousin. She'll die laughing I know. Thanks.

Doug
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8443474

YAY for you! Both of you will really enjoy having it again, won't you?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America