Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: What lens should I get first?

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 6, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
8:46 AM

Post #5239847

I have been wanting a camera for so long since my hubby broke mine several months ago. I may have set my sights sort of high but I have spent hours and hours researching them to find out the one that would suit me the best. The one that I want is the Canon 40D. I could start out with the 400D but I only have on shot at this and I hate to buy something that I don't really want. And, it would never be possible for me to get this type of camera except that DH is doing some consulting work for a company and they liked his work so much that they are giving him an extra bonus. So he has decided to give me the bonus so that I can get a new camera. Photography means so much to me, even if I'm not the greatest photographer. It is something that I really enjoy and I have felt so lost since my camera got broken. I have seen the 40D come with different lens and I have no idea which lens I should get with mine. I need a basic standard lens to start with I guess, and my question is this, which one should I get? I have found a nice camera at Amazon.com that fits my price range. The reason that I am looking at buying online is because everything here in AU is so much more expensive. I would rather buy it in a store instead of ordering it from online but I cannot afford that.
I guess the other thing that I need is a good compact flash card and I would like to know which one of those you all would recommend. I am trying to get the best that I can for the limited amount that I have. I have the money to buy the Compact Flash card so that is not part of the bonus.
So basically, what I need to know is what would be the best lens for me to start out with and also which is the best CF card for the Canon 40D?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,
Jesse
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
9:08 AM

Post #5239866

Hi again,

Here are a couple different deals that I have found so far. They both have different lens with them and I have no idea which one would be the best for me. What do you all think?
Number 1 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-Digital-28-135mm-Standard/dp/B000V5QV4S
Number 2 http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/canon40d.htm

Thanks
Jesse

This message was edited Jul 11, 2008 7:18 PM
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5240635

Congratulations! I recently got a Canon Xti EOS 400 D mine came with a basic 18-55 mm lens and I use it a lot. I bought a telephoto lens(75-300mm) and a macro (EFS 60 mm) . Lenses are expensive so I would suggest you use the camera a while before deciding what you need for what you are doing with your camera. I have been into photography most of my life, but checking out the photos here at flickr
http://www.flickr.com was helpful to me in deciding what camera and lenses. You can do a search for the specific camera you want and see photos taken by one. That might help you to judge how the different lenses perform. http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_40d/
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5240855

I would get the kit lens sold with the body - if you have to buy it separately then you might end up paying $600 instead of an extra $200 with the camera. I enjoy my new 40D with the 28-135 lens. It covers most of the basic needs. Later on you might want to add a longer zoom and a macro lens.

Amazon is a great place to buy from anymore. I've ordered my flash, Gitzo tripod, lens hoods, interval timer, etc from them and they are quick and the prices are usually as good as anywhere else. They usually use the reputable camera stores to fill orders too.

As for CF cards it's probably safe to buy any card but you should try to get the high speed cards. Get at least two or more if you travel. Also get an extra battery while you are at it. There is nothing worse to be out and fill your card up or for the battery to die on you.

cgarvin
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5248816

I would recommend the tamron 28-75 xr for your new canon. I currently have a 20d and several lenses, from the kit 18-55 which actually works pretty well for a cheap lens, I use my
tamron about 75% of the time, the 18-55 about 5% and my 75-300 the other 10% and the best part you get an incredible piece of glass rated almost as highly as the L series lenses for about 350$ (vs 1000$) anytime your taking pictures in a dimly lit area the extra two stops of light are what makes sharp handheld pics possible. just my 2 cents, I started with the kit lens and graduated to the tamron when I had more money, the only bad thing is it starts at 28mm which with your camera crop makes it close to a 50, not exactly a wide angle, but then again if you need a wide angle you can dig the kit lens out.

best of luck Caleb
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5252659

I had some Tamron lenses for my old film camera and they were very nice. Won't fit on my Canon though--darn! They were a different size. Anyhow just wanted to second that I like them too.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5252917

I had the choice of going with either the 18-55 mm or 28 -135 when I bought my Canon 30D last year, and after MUCH research and talking with clubs online, I bought the 18-135. It is an EF lens, as opposed to an EF-S lens, much better made, and more expensive for that reason. Some good places to visit are: http://photography-on-the.net/forum and http://www.photographycorner.com/
I also bought an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, because the reviews were so good. And it gave me that wider angle ability. And, because I wanted to photograph birds and nature, I also bought the EF 100-400 mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM lens.

I am please with all of them, but must confess that I LOVE my 100-400 mm, since those are the kind of photos I take most, and it is an awesome lens.

If I were going to buy only one lens for now, I would go with the EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM that you can get as a kit lens with the 40D.

I have purchased all of my camera equipment from B&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

You'll love your Canon!! Have fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America