Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: black berry tree?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 200
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skar
Menomonee Falls, WI

July 11, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5242359

I live in wisconsin, and i have a tree that now has ripening fruit on it. it resembles a black berry, light, sweet flavor. the tree is maybe 20 ft tall, and the berries are a light red and ripen to black. a little green stem comes off with the berry. i have seen this berry even as a child, some called it a boysenberry, but those are on bushes. what kind of berry grows on trees?

Thumbnail by skar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5242441

It's a mulberry tree (Morus alba).

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5242456

Mulberries!

Can't tell decisively from that angle which one you have, though. Mulberry species are not the easiest to tell apart, and certainly not from one photo. If you can include some additional shots that show the tops and bottoms of leaves, some images of the young branches and buds, and a picture of the whole tree - that would help.

The North American native mulberry is Morus rubra, red mulberry.

The Asian species Morus alba (Asian or white mulberry) is also possible, and is widely considered an invasive pest plant.

Both have tasty edible fruits.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5242483

VV, wouldn't Morus rubra lack the glossy foliage shown in this photo?
skar
Menomonee Falls, WI

July 11, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5242487

i don't know how to get more than one picture at a time on to here, but here is one pic.

Thumbnail by skar

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5243187

nifty413:

I would be confident to say that I have never seen a Morus alba without glossy foliage, but I would not commit to saying that Morus rubra cannot have glossy foliage. Less likely, perhaps, which makes one lean toward the Asian mulberry but want definitive information.

Where's that tactile function key?

skar:

You can only put one picture per post here, but you can keep replying to your thread and add another one each time.

Back off the zoom a bit; you can have more than one leaf in a picture. Yours are incredibly clear by the way; blinding me a bit, and maybe fooling us into a wrong ID.

The leaves look like they have a bit of "heft" and thicker texture to them, than I would ascribe to Asian mulberry. Maybe it is just good tough Wisconsin invasive stock or something on that plant, but the Asian mulberry foliage around here is usually pretty thin stuff.

If you can go out and feel this foliage, tell us if there is any roughness to it at all (top and/or bottom). Asian mulberry will be pretty smooth overall, and red mulberry will have hairiness and thus a rougher feel.

Can you tell that I really want skar to have a keeper...
skar
Menomonee Falls, WI

July 12, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5246322

the top of the leaf is smooth, the bottom is ruff. the leaves are tough and don't rip easily. does this help?

Thumbnail by skar

skar
Menomonee Falls, WI

July 12, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5246329

view of the whole tree.

Thumbnail by skar

skar
Menomonee Falls, WI

July 12, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5246334

another view

Thumbnail by skar

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5246554

Morus alba for me too. Not pure M. rubra, but hybrids M. alba M. rubra exist (e.g. the cultivar 'Illinois Everbearing'), and I guess can't be ruled out.

Resin
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5257270

I also have a Mulberry tree (don't know variety). I have to ask a dumb question. Why do you say red or white if they both have black berries? Mine the leaves are not shine and they are rather thin not thick.
TLARGENT
Centerville, TX

August 21, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6972367

This was my question but it isn't a Mulberry tree. The berry has a single seed and is about the size of a small pea or pencil eraser. Oval in shape and very dark purple almost black to the eye. They are starting to fall from the tree and the deer love them. In the past I have sqeezed one and tasted the juice they are very sweet. I will try to get a picture posted.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6972898

TLARGENT:

It would probably be best if you started a new thread with your ID question, so that more people will be likely to observe it and assist in answering.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America