Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: Where to plant new Lavender plants?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 9, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5252118

I know it's really late for this season, but I just had to buy 9 or 10 lavender plants. but I am really committed to giving these guys a fighting chance for this season. I'm ready to babysit because I wanted them so badly.

My question is how should I lay these all out? Should I keep the same kinds together or put tall ones in the back no matter what they are? some are 2 of a kind, theres also 3 of a kind on another one or two.

would you make a lavender only flower bed or would you mix them in with other beds already in progress?

I have a new mantis =). ... I'm just having too many undecided moments

help :(

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5252727

My friend and neighbor just cleared an area about 20' x 10' to plant lavender. Its on the hill side and gets alot of morning sun. She has her other lavender in a kind of rock garden. That on is doing wonderful. She has two different types, not sure which is which, but one is almost white. It is the most fragrant lavender I have ever sniffed. They are both in thier own beds.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5268381

I guess there's no wrong place, I probably should have stuck to getting all the same of what's best for my area (spanish lavender), but I had to get some of the BlueCushion, Hidcote, and what she called Lavender Lavance; I should look those up, but sounds French to me.

Today I'm ready to split them up in diff beds. oh well. there's always next year =)

LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5337840

Good drainage is very important. They don't tolerate poor drainage or standing water.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5339226

Good point LindaTX8. I forgot that they hate to have their feet standing in water for too long.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5339386

I planted several herbs and a few other flowers on the same day, so if it was within range of the water hose, I was gently watering those frequently ... its my fault.

I wonder if I dug them up and replanted correctly if they could still survive? I think I answered my own question! ^_^
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5339828

'Where to plant new lavender plants?" Everywhere ^_^. Happy feets cuz mine just started to bloom.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5340188

Good for you! I thought I saw one teeny bloom when I walked the dog.

I just couldn't make up my mind at the time... it was one of those days. LOL, weeks. I planted like kinds in different spots of the yard. Now I have 4 lavender places to add to.
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

August 11, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5397014

nanniepb, how are you lavender plants doing? any photos to share? =)
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5397575

I took this on 7/31 but I keep meaning to check it's name.

It has new growth, but these were only 4" pots when i ordered them, so I'm not expecting blooms this year.

I should check on fertilizer now that I have my new Herb book =) ^_^ ^_^

Thumbnail by nanniepb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America